VMWare offering 50% off Fusion 2.0 for Cyber Monday

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Not all what?

Does it not run Windows, Linux, Solaris, etc?

It does run them. But have you compared the performance, VMWare tools to it?? Those are not in the same league as VMWare or Parallels.

USB 2 seems fine in VMWare 2.x
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Not all what?

Does it not run Windows, Linux, Solaris, etc?

Virtualizing the CPU and basic hardware is one thing but handling advanced graphics virtualization (3D and even fast 2D performance) has been a challenge for the big guys. It's gonna be a while before VirtualBox can catch up on things like that as well as features such as complex interaction between guest and host OSs.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

$10 plus the cost of Windows...

If you don't own windows, there is no need to have VM software.

If you want VM software to run Linux, it is $10 (or $10)
  • Reply 24 of 27
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

I haven't upgraded to Parallels 4.0, which they're making you pay for, but my experience thus far with Parallels has been that it doesn't REALLY support usb 2.0 - they say they've improved usb support, but my experience has been that it's painfully slow with all manner of devices.

Does any one have experience with Fusion and USB 2.0 support?

Well I keep my Nokia cellphone up to date using XP in VMWare Fusion, and while that isn't a bandwidth hogging thing, I must say my cellphone always mounts INSTANTLY, and the one time I updated the firmware I must say that went pretty snappy as well (as far as the actual USB thing goes, the Nokia software itself is quite cumbersome imo)

No comment on actual transfer speed, but other than that it behaves just as well if not better as it would with a native install.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr.Joe View Post

Check the blog at the VMware website - they state that both rebates apply for an effective crossgrade price of $9.99.

Could you link to that blog post, I'm having no luck finding it on their website. Thanks!
  • Reply 26 of 27
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Unfortunately, the VMWare order site didn't recognize my previous account when I tried to place an order, yet it wouldn't let me make a new account with the same email (because that account already existed).

Go figure.

One sale down the toilet for them. I wanted to replace parallels on my other Intel Mac - not now though.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    The blog post is on the Team Fusion blog:

http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/