Apple opening first German retail store in Munich this weekend

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After two years in the making, Apple this weekend will open its first retail store in Germany, a multi-level flagship shop in the heart of Munich.

The prized location at 1 Rosenstrasse was home to Sport Schuster sporting goods before Apple took over the lease early last year and then completely razed the existing structure.

Although early rumors had Apple building a four-story retail store in its place, it appears the Mac maker has instead constructed a five-story building and will only use the first two floors for sales space.

AppleInsider reader Paolo stopped by the store on Sunday and snapped the below photos. A glowing white Apple logo is centered on the second floor glass facade, which remains obscured by a white and blue iPod-patterned protective wrap.

The store will hold its grand opening on Saturday at 10:00 a.m. local time. Commemorative t-shirts will be handed out to the first 2500 visitors, according to the shop's official webpage.

Last year it was reported that the Munich shop would be just one of approximately five Apple retail locations planned for Germany, with other locations expected in Berlin and Frankfurt. There have been few developments in those areas, however, and it's unclear if plans have since changed.

The alternating blue and white iPod wrapping symbolizes the colors of the Bavarian State flag.

View of central Marienplatz from Rosenstrasse where the new Apple Store will open this Saturday.

An arial view of Apple's retail space at 1 Rosenstrasse about 18 months ago.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Oh Munich... good ol high-school years.

Marienplatz, the best babe market. wink
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

My thoughts exactly. The New Year's celebration in Marienplatz was unforgettable.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    I was there six months ago visiting friends in Munich. Took a moment to stop by and look at the progress. Pretty amazing how far they got in just that short amount of time since I was there in April.

Yes, a babe market it is too. Gotta love those tall blonde blue/green-eyed beauties.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Can't argue that.

First trip, summer of '74. Never forget the girl from NY city that I met under the Marienplatz Glockenspiel.

Now, another reason to go back.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I was going to post something about Apple but, after reading the comments above, felt like a geek and decided to do something better with my life.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    sholshol Posts: 1member
    > a white and blue iPod-patterned protective wrap.

White and blue because those are the colours of the Bavarian flag....

(http://www.nationalflaggen.de/region...ge-bayern.html)
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shol View Post

> a white and blue iPod-patterned protective wrap.

White and blue because those are the colours of the Bavarian flag....

(http://www.nationalflaggen.de/region...ge-bayern.html)

and the color of many table cloths throughout the country :-)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    The caption under the photograph said "The alternating blue and white iPod wrapping...", which is an offense to real Bavarian citizens. It is alway "white and blue", never "blue and white"....

Manfred aka Q-chan

(and born in Bavaria)

• Reply 9 of 12
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Q-chan View Post

The caption under the photograph said "The alternating blue and white iPod wrapping...", which is an offense to real Bavarian citizens. It is alway "white and blue", never "blue and white"....

Manfred aka Q-chan

(and born in Bavaria)

Why?

What's the significance of the difference?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Why?

What's the significance of the difference?

None I assume, it's like saying "white, red, and blue" instead of "red, white, and blue" when referring to the American flag. It's a patriotic thing I would guess.

Anyway after tipping a Maß of Augustina, no one would really care.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Quote:

None I assume, it's like saying "white, red, and blue" instead of "red, white, and blue" when referring to the American flag. It's a patriotic thing I would guess.

Anyway after tipping a Maß of Augustina, no one would really care.

Let's hope they open one in Vienna soon...