Apple's unexpected iPod shortage spreading

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

Maybe they've got something new for January and want inventory flushed??

That occurred to me, but Christmas isn't the time to be short on inventory - especially on behalf of an unannounced product.

I've said this before - the iPod touch is the best handheld device I've ever had. By far. But it needs a couple things, like connectivity for a card reader.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charko View Post

As well as the above-mentioned advantages that the touch has over the iPhone, it is also FASTER.

Games and other programmes run more smoothly. This has now been proved in tests.

The iPhone's processor is tuned at about 412 MHz as opposed to the touch's 512 MHz.

This was probably done to conserve the iPhone's battery.

And the Touch and not the iPhone takes the new headphones.

And Nike +.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wow- that's amazing. Where do you read that?

I wish I could remember; I think it was an article in MacDailyNews about two or three weeks ago.

But I remember that the results were based on serious and empirical tests.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charko View Post

I wish I could remember; I think it was an article in MacDailyNews about two or three weeks ago.

But I remember that the results were based on serious and empirical tests.

Just Google it. I think AI was the only tech site not to post anything about it.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:

I think a lot of us just waited- didn't particularly care for the 1st gen (no speaker, bad screen, too expensive, etc) and pounced on the 2nd gen Touch.

Sums up my reason for buying the 2nd gen touch.

Most people I've talked to still call it the "iTouch" though. The name is awkward for folks to remember.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Just Google it. I think AI was the only tech site not to post anything about it.

OK, I've googled it, and the difference is greater than I'd thought:-

iPhone: 412 MHz

touch: 532 MHz

Here's the site:- http://toucharcade.com/2008/11/23/2n...r-than-iphone/
  • Reply 27 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

I think Apple underestimates how much of a problem having the iPhone locked to cell providers around the world is. A lot of people just don't want to be locked in like that.

Sure, sure, but maybe you missed the headline: iPhone best selling smart phone in the US.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agent59518279 View Post

Now we know why Steve Wozniak is a loser: check this out

Hmm.... I'm curious what kind of standards you are using to judge the Woz a loser. Should we use your bank account versus his as a comparison?

He co-founded Apple. Without him, Apple would never have been in existence.

Woz may certainly not be 100% correct all the time, but even Steve Jobs has been known to make a few wrong predictions from time-to-time.

Is this how you start your first post? What a waste. The first impression is always the most important. You receive an 'F'.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonderkid View Post

...we bought one of these to use as a sales tool - using the photo and video viewer to demonstrate our products. Works a treat - and a lot less to carry around than a laptop! Anyway, thought I would try some apps. Downloaded about 15 (at a total cost of about £10 - not bad!) and the good ones are excellent, including Flick Fishing - a total treat. Even without the apps, with the exception of the appalling usability of the key feature - the music playback (my Nokia E71 music player is a LOT easier to navigate with one hand), the Touch is a super PDA and now a great gaming device. Best of all, unlike the iPhone, it is tariff free, has great battery life and is a lot thinner too. Am convinced the iPod Touch is Apple's trojan horse into the future of communications too - P2P wireless! Death to the networks! You ARE the network!

I don't know if I now want to be the network. My wife and daughter already call me the systems administrator. That's enough!\
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post

I got my daughter an iPod Nano (Yellow) on black friday (Apple online), so I did my part. She has a 1st & 3rd generation nano, but needs/wants 16GB for movies. So she will do her part by buying more movies/music videos off of iTunes (as well as music).

I was also in an Apple Store on black friday - very busy.

Also - I clicked on the Amazon link - first 12 are iPods, 16 of the first 20 are iPods, and the first Zune is 24. Wow!

Amazon seems to have plenty of Zunes available as did my local Target.

Target, BTW, has the Touch in stock online and in store with a $25 gift card with purchase promo.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    How in heaven's name do you run out of iPods coming into the number one, mondo shopping season of the entire year??? Heads will roll if this story is true.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:

Also the reviews for the 2nd gen Touch were much more positive than the 1gen. The sound, look and price are so much better. It clearly is a leader for Apple. And again - no AT&T.

Love mine - ordered another as a gift. No complaints here and no whines for google street view either.

UPdate- Fedex just arrived. He says he's been delivering these small boxes all morning. NYC loves Apple.

When I'm on the subway, I can't always tell if they're iTouches or iPhones, but I do see an awful lot of them here. When I take mine out, and glance around, I almost always see at least one other in the car (the part that I can see). That's amazing. iPhone or iTouch, they're becoming almost as ubiquitous as a regular iPod here.

And, yes, I did see my fourth Zune in the wild last month. Yea Microsoft!
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Quote:

Wow- that's amazing. Where do you read that?

It's true.

I would think that because it doesn't have the on all the time phone, and esp. the 3G, the battery life would be much better, so they are using some of that to speed up the processing instead. Seems like a good move.

What would be really cool would be if they gave the user the choice of even greater battery life when using the iPod, by switching the speed down.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonstopdesign View Post

Sure, sure, but maybe you missed the headline: iPhone best selling smart phone in the US.

Also, they're well ahead of their worldwide goal of selling 10% of smartphones, or 1% of total phones, as the worldwide sales of the iPhone is now 16.6% of all smartphones.

Nokia is being hurt the most, as their percentage sales of smartphones has dropped by 40% the past year.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Hmm.... I'm curious what kind of standards you are using to judge the Woz a loser. Should we use your bank account versus his as a comparison?

He co-founded Apple. Without him, Apple would never have been in existence.

Woz may certainly not be 100% correct all the time, but even Steve Jobs has been known to make a few wrong predictions from time-to-time.

Is this how you start your first post? What a waste. The first impression is always the most important. You receive an 'F'.

Well, you know, it does seem as though Woz is acting more like a curmudgeon the older he gets. Sometimes I can't understand what he's saying. He seems to enjoy baiting Apple these days.

I even wonder if he means half of what he says, as he's such an avowed practical joker.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

How in heaven's name do you run out of iPods coming into the number one, mondo shopping season of the entire year??? Heads will roll if this story is true.

It appears AAPL bought into the hysteria about the bad economy, to some extent, and

decided that too little inventory would be preferable to too much inventory. They seem

to be able to adjust their production pretty quickly though.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    Quote:

We've all read the articles saying that Apple's suppliers have seen cutbacks from Apple going into the holiday season throughout all their lines.

I would expect that Apple, as other companies, has felt that holiday sales this year would be down because of the deepening recession worldwide, and cut back. It's always a dance to guess just where sales will be.

Apple has always been conservative this way. Except for when they have the rare product failure, they are always short. Back in late 1991, when I bought my 950, I had to wait almost four weeks!

As Jobs has said in the past about this issue; Companies would rather have too little inventory, with customers not finding the product in some cases, than having product sit on the shelves not selling.

It's a problem many companies would love to have. Right now, I'm pretty certain that Dell would give up Michael's right arm to have this "problem".
  • Reply 38 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

5 Weeks?? That could be significant lost sales. I don't want an IOU on the 25th.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robb01 View Post

Thats a very long time

If you're being sarcastic, you're right to be. It isn't a long time, but giving the actual gift has a lot better feel than giving them a printout of the order confirmation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

I think also people are also delaying a new computer purchase by relying on mobile OS X (iPod Touch and iPhone).

There is some overlap in functionality, but I don't really see them as substitutes. OS X mobile is a single-tasking device for battery life reasons, and task switching is slow. The hand held form factor also forces on user interface limitations, iTouch and iPhone are about the best there is, but they're still tiny. I own a notebook and an iPhone for different reasons.

Quote:

I don't know about that, predicting surges in demand can be hard. When Apple introduced the nano, it sounds like they blew past all their sales expectations, to paraphrase Jobs, they took a big leap of faith to order boatloads of them and they sold almost all of them right away, it sounded like they felt lucky.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    Quote:

My best guess is that Apple product forecasters believed all the news stories about consumers not spending. Problem is, those stories all seem to have been wrong, as Black Friday sales were up 6%. People are buying, recession news or no recession news. I'm not sure anyone really knows what's going on, but Apple bet wrong, ordering less stock from suppliers in China, and now they're getting bit.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonderkid View Post

...the Touch is a super PDA and now a great gaming device. Best of all, unlike the iPhone, it is tariff free, has great battery life and is a lot thinner too. Am convinced the iPod Touch is Apple's trojan horse into the future of communications too - P2P wireless! Death to the networks! You ARE the network!

Totally agree... I've been saying this since last year. The Touch will (hopefully) be Apple's Trojan Horse/catalyst for communications without carriers! The biggest hurdle is having wireless internet everywhere (or at least decent coverage). Once this is solved, the iPod Touch will have no limits and not need carriers!