Mozilla-based iTunes rival "Songbird" takes flight

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Last I checked Linux + Windows marketshare > apple marketshare. I think it will fly just fine.

Let's see... Windows? 89.5% Windows + Linux? 90.4% Difference? 0.8% Yes, that's a ZERO, POINT, EIGHT. How nice of you to throw Linux in with Windows to make it look all tough. That's like saying Windows + Mac OS X = 98.5%

Lesson? Don't try to compare Linux market share to OS X. The ratio of Linux market share to OS X market share is as sad as OS X market share to Windows market share. Imagine what would happen if OS X was a free OS or if Linux had OS X's price tag. In either scenario, Linux would be dead. For now, it barely has a pulse.

I don't hate Linux like I do Windows, but Linux is in a really sad boat. The problem? Too many choices. People don't like to be confused, so that's your first problem. Second, the community needs to align behind one distro and put all their effort into it if it wants to gain any real market share. They need a single OS strategy. If you ask me, everyone should get behind Apple. They already use a lot of the best open source technology. Imagine how great the world of computing would be without Microsoft... It would be like a utopia of geekery. Microsoft has stifled the tech industry for far too long. For example, stagnant browser development until recently. Another example, Vista. Seven years of development down the fucking tubes.

• Reply 62 of 69
    I hate how hostile the Mac community gets when things try competing with Apple.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    Quote:

It's 1.0... give it time. When iTunes first started it looked a lot like Sound Jam.

Look at all web browsers... they all look pretty similar from an interface that Netscape started 15 years ago.

noob Apple bought Sound Jam
  • Reply 64 of 69
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribbean_mac View Post

noob Apple bought Sound Jam

That was my whole point....... n00b.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

That was my whole point....... n00b.

It's a poor point then. Songbird wasn't derived from iTunes in terms of code base or the dev team, making the connection or comparison kind of tenuous at best.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's a poor point then. Songbird wasn't derived from iTunes in terms of code base or the dev team, making the connection or comparison kind of tenuous at best.

The whole point was that someone else came up with the interface. The whole point was apple was sued over the interface. The whole point was that good interfaces are re-used over and over again. Far from a weak point.

http://news.cnet.com/Apple-sued-over...3-5755956.html
  • Reply 67 of 69
    Quote:

The whole point was that someone else came up with the interface. The whole point was apple was sued over the interface. The whole point was that good interfaces are re-used over and over again. Far from a weak point.

http://news.cnet.com/Apple-sued-over...3-5755956.html

It was a weak point until you filled in a few details previously left unsaid but were somehow part of the original point.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It was a weak point until you filled in a few details previously left unsaid but were somehow part of the original point.

Did you not real all of my posts? I mentioned them all through out the thread. You were singling out that one post. I don't see any need to repeat myself.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    Quote:

Did you not real all of my posts? I mentioned them all through out the thread. You were singling out that one post. I don't see any need to repeat myself.

I can't find a previous part of the thread where you mentioned Apple getting sued over the interface. The fact that someone else came up with the interface is pretty diluted as an IP issue if they bought the rights to the software with the similar interface.

The browser issue isn't as bad either, they might have all all their controls arranged similarly, I recall that they at least tried to change the look for each of the variants, the buttons might have meant the same thing, but they looked different, there's more than one way to draw a button. Here, the look is similar aside from moving part of the interface.