Any Treadmill users out there?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Is that what they're calling the Mormons, these days?

Heh. You'd actually be surprised how often a moose comes down off the mountain and terrorizes a parade or winds up stuck in a back yard in the burbs.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Heh. You'd actually be surprised how often a moose comes down off the mountain and terrorizes a parade or winds up stuck in a back yard in the burbs.

I have a new life goal: attend a parade that gets terrorized by a moose.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I have a new life goal: attend a parade that gets terrorized by a moose.

That actually happened here.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

The "real world" you live in may differ than the "real world" I live in from day to day. What I mean by that is that for me to travel to a lake in my area which has more than 20 miles of trails through the woods would take me about 30-35 mins to drive to and 30-35 mins to drive back from and while I would be there on the trails I would like to be there at least an hour. I used to mountain bike on these trails several years back before having a son and before being married etc.

I hate running on trails. I have always preferred residential roads. The surface is much better and the sights and sounds are typically much more interesting.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nordkapp View Post

Today, I did a terrible thing.

I just bought a whole bag of freshly prepared salad mix and ate it!

What have I become???

Don't feel bad I have adjusted my diet for the better

Fellows
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I hate running on trails. I have always preferred residential roads. The surface is much better and the sights and sounds are typically much more interesting.

I have a great paved loop trail only a few mins away from the house. Around it once is about a mile. It goes around a body of water with ducks and etc. Fountain. etc. It is suburban version of outdoors but I go there as often as I can as it is a great place to get out and get in some fresh air while getting in some fitness goodness.

here is a pic:

Fellows
  • Reply 27 of 37
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I do some of my running on paved roads around the nearby residential areas... but roads have hazards as well, like traffic and dogs. And what is it about some drivers who have a thing about (against?) runners.. and have to yell something or make animal-like ululations, almost always incomprehensible, most probably crude, out the window of their (almost always) pick-up trucks?

Sigh...
  • Reply 28 of 37
    I like running, in the open air, with the wind in my

...with the wind on my scalp.

I've just discovered trailrunner and iTrail on the iPhone. Samples your GPS position every few seconds, lets you map your run on google maps, gives you speed graphs, altitude graphs, calories burned...

This morning I ran eight and a half kilometers in about fifty minutes. I like GPS.

Edit: also, I like running through mud, in my red New Balance Cross Country supertrainers.

I ran along the canal, and beside the reservoirs, looking at the swans. I see a big heron and his wife on most days. And some of those beautiful black peahens, or quails, or whatever they are, and a family of giant ducks.

On my seven kilometre route I never see anyone, probably because people don't like running through mud, and the swans can be arseholes.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

This morning I ran eight and a half kilometers in about fifty minutes.

Ugh. I can't run in metric.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Ugh. I can't run in metric.

You can do more kilometres than you can miles. It's like you're instantly fitter.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:

You can do more kilometres than miles. It's like you're instantly fitter.

Hrm. Now that's a thought.... if I *only* ran in metric, I'd feel like I was getting more accomplished.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

You can do more kilometres than you can miles. It's like you're instantly fitter.

Indeed. You're only doing about 10 minute miles there. Time to pick up the pace!
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Indeed. You're only doing about 10 minute miles there. Time to pick up the pace!

Ah yes, but for my age and physical type (I am nearly ninety, and an acondraplasic dwarf with quite advanced Parkinson's Disease), ten minute miles are pretty good.

Besides, I run in metric, and so it's more like SIX MINUTE KILOMETERS, which sounds much better.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:

and the swans can be arseholes.

LOL

Cool iphone app!

Fellows
  • Reply 35 of 37
    nordkappnordkapp Posts: 270member
    Who's keeping it up then?

Today, I am going to fix up my bike again so that I can ride to work at the earliest opportunity (ie as long as its not friggin raining). Yesterday, I was wandering around a bike shop, and discovered a set of semi-vintage 7 speed Shimano STi shifters for my bike, (before Shimano MTB parts went all plasticy fisher price and dumb) - the shop didn't seem to know what they had, and let me have them for next to nothing!

Also, its been over seven months since I last puffed on a cigarette, and of my 3 other friends who gave up at roughly the same time - I am winning the battle of will, the rest of them having had moments of weakness!

And I shaved my head, and looked a bit Die Hard for a while (not sure thats relavent) - and 2 of my engineering projects got the green light at work, all systems activate (sic ) - so I know I've got my job for the next 2 years.

So I would just like to say to the recession, "'ave it banky-wanky's" and contemplate my raised middle finger.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    nordkappnordkapp Posts: 270member

Here it is, nothing outstanding, its a 1994 Univega 6061T6 that was found virtually unised in ex gf's mothers shed a few years ago, which I intended to turn into a hybrid bike one day - the new shifters are now fitted and work sweetly. Next I need some oldschool toe clips...

[edit] off to the right, some lame bloke who thinks giving up smoking still counts if you puff on a few cigars a day instead....
  • Reply 37 of 37
    If you want to run on it, don't buy a cheap treadmill.

We got one of those $300 treadmills and I started running on it. Within a week, things started falling off of it. Other things started to break--even the deck started to split in half. The $300 treadmill just couldn't take the pounding from me running on it. My wife walked on it and it had no problems with that.

Luckily, I'm pretty handy so I was able to keep repairing it but I had to do a lot of repair work on it to keep it going. We actually kept using it for 3-4 years before the motor burned up and we bought an elliptical trainer to replace it. We like the elliptical better--easier on the joints.