App Store shoppers downloading 2.2 million apps per day

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

12 million iphones and $1.2 billion is only $100/year and doesn't account for Touches. Seems reasonable to maintain with new/good apps.

Nah, $100 per iPhone is not reasonable. I spend a lot but I'm well under that amount, and most people don't download and paid apps from my experience.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

But wait!!! Where are those anarchists screaming as to how Apple is the Demigod of Evil and how Android will completely make right a twisted system and teach Apple a thing or two about how to run an app store?

Those whiners seems to be a little quiet on this forum at the moment. Seems they are too busy eating their humble pie.

It's great news that the App Store is doing well. Like everything else, there are ups and downs and clearly, the App Store is on the upswing. Will probably settle down after the gift-giving holidays.

At least then, the whiners will then be dancing naked in the dandelion fields singing to Barry Manilow songs rejoicing that Apple is finally on the down-swinging path to destruction.

Wait, I thought the anarchists were the Apple fans...
  • Reply 23 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Nah, $100 per iPhone is not reasonable. I spend a lot but I'm well under that amount, and most people don't download and paid apps from my experience.

It's certainly reasonable if millions are apparently doing it.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Gee 2.2 mil, must have to throw buckets of water on the servers.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    While it sounds -- and perhaps is -- really impressive, I am unable to put the 2.2 million number into perspective.

What and who are we comparing it against? Is it really off-the-charts, or just good?
  • Reply 26 of 41
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Wait, I thought the anarchists were the Apple fans...

Touche!!!! Or is it "touch"????
  • Reply 27 of 41
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Touche!!!! Or is it "touch"????

Ooh, someone should get working on the "iTouché" app for the iPhone.

You shake it and the screen provides you with a random devastating comeback, from a library of thousands.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Ooh, someone should get working on the "iTouché" app for the iPhone.

You shake it and the screen provides you with a random devastating comeback, from a library of thousands.

So it's a modernized and witty Magic 8 Ball. Pretty nice idea.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

While it sounds -- and perhaps is -- really impressive, I am unable to put the 2.2 million number into perspective.

What and who are we comparing it against? Is it really off-the-charts, or just good?

Expect for comparing it to the opening to the iTMS growth I don't think I've read any comparisons. Has any other mobile app store released any sales info?
  • Reply 30 of 41
    I don't know about the rest of the room but when I'm in iTunes or on my iPhone and check updates I always get prompted to download apps that are already up to date.

Then I go into iTunes and it Syncs there as well.

These numbers can be skewed purely by inconsistencies in the App Store software and downloading the same app for my phone and then again to synch iTunes.

I've paid for one app and upgraded about 100 times.

The math doesn't add up.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

I don't know about the rest of the room but when I'm in iTunes or on my iPhone and check updates I always get prompted to download apps that are already up to date.

These numbers can be skewed purely by inconsistencies in the App Store software and downloading the same app for my phone and then again to synch iTunes.

The math doesn't add up.

(I'm responding to the question in your heading but I'm too lazy to edit the quote.)

That is a good point and most likely what is being reported. The title of the artcle does state downloaded apps and that I help market the store fort Apple to state it as such.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    If what you are saying is correct then Apple or AppleInsider is putting out incorrect numbers.

If the growth was as expansive as the numbers say then Apple's 3rd Quarters Numbers would have been way more off the chart than it was.

Steve Jobs, get real and post the real numbers.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:

Those whiners seems to be a little quiet on this forum at the moment. Seems they are too busy eating their humble pie.

Frightening thing? When Apple does as much business for the App store as it does through iTunes.

When Apple are on the back of 100 million iPhone sales?

Frightening.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

If what you are saying is correct then Apple or AppleInsider is putting out incorrect numbers.

If the growth was as expansive as the numbers say then Apple's 3rd Quarters Numbers would have been way more off the chart than it was.

You're making a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be. I don't see what the problem here.

2.2M apps/day * 90 days/quarter = 198M/Q

Assuming average price of an app, including free ones, is $0.99, that's $198M gross. That's not all net profits either, 70% goes to the dev and there are expenses to be dealt with too, such as merchant fees, which can run 3-5%, servers, bandwidth and store upkeep. I get charged an additional $0.10 per card transaction on top of the credit card percent, I don't know if Apple does.

Given those numbers, I'm not seeing anything that raises a red flag here.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:

The math doesn't add up.

I've never had that happen.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

(I'm responding to the question in your heading but I'm too lazy to edit the quote.)

That is a good point and most likely what is being reported. The title of the artcle does state downloaded apps and that I help market the store fort Apple to state it as such.

Nevertheless, the numbers being reported have always showed that about half the downloads were for apps being bought.

Possibly, if what you two are saying is true, then a fair amount of the "free" apps being downloaded are for the reason you state, and the actual number of apps that are being downloaded by "choice" is therefore less than the total being shown, then the percentage of apps being bought would be higher than 50%.

So the same amount of payments would be the same.

It's not even clear if updates are being included in these numbers.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's not even clear if updates are being included in these numbers.

It's not clear, but if we take the statement "2.2M being downloaded daily" at face value then every update to an app, paid or free, could be counted as a DL since you do update the app by DLing a new version. If it were me I would market the DLs that way without feeling like I'm being deceptive since it directly points to the popularity of the App Store as downloads aren't automatically had, but require user interaction to initiate.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:

I don't think you understand the situation here that well. It doesn't matter whether some apps are being counted more than once insofar as paid apps are concerned. Ever since the beginning, apps have been updated. I've had most of the apps I have updated several times.

But, as I've already said several times here, about 50% of the apps being downloaded are paid for apps at the time of their downloading.

Since these numbers have been consistent, and repeated several times as download numbers have came out, it's likely true with this number as well.

Therefor, no matter where the total number comes from, about 50% of it is for apps that are being bought.

Apple isn't concealing anything of financial importance, and there's no evidence that they're concealing anything. They must report income on their balance sheets. There isn't a way they could conceal it.

Conspiracy theorists need not apply.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's not clear, but if we take the statement "2.2M being downloaded daily" at face value then every update to an app, paid or free, could be counted as a DL since you do update the app by DLing a new version. If it were me I would market the DLs that way without feeling like I'm being deceptive since it directly points to the popularity of the App Store as downloads aren't automatically had, but require user interaction to initiate.

Perhaps they should try to separate out the updates from the new downloads, but it doesn't really matter in the long run. If people aren't uping the programs, don't like them, and so don't download the updates, that tells us something as well about thse apps.

The fact that people would bother, is telling us that they probably like the programs, and want to be bothered to update them. So that's something.

But, again, if about 50% of that number, whatever it represents, are for paid apps, it remains a viable number.

So, if updates are being counted, then by taking them out, it's possible that 75% of the downloads are for paid apps, which would match the 75% of apps in the store that are paid apps.

I don't see the problem here.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't see the problem here.

Neither do I, and didn't mean to give that impression.