Hidden feature turns iPhone into TV gaming device

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Fun to note that exactly zero of the posts so far have anything to do with what the article is about ... outputting video from the iPhone itself wired to a TV. Does that say anything about the demand for this?
  • Reply 22 of 57
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

I think you just made my point. I spent $300 on this iPhone and I want it to not only be my phone and portable computer, I want it to be implemented in a versatile fashion throughout Apple's product line. I guess I like to see my dollar go as far as it can. I want my phone to turn off my lights, turn on my TV, shut my garage door from work and cook me dinner (okay that last one might be a stretch).

I think it is backwards thinking to duct tape a bunch of OEM parts to an AppleTV and turn it into a console.

What about those who already have AppleTV? they want the same thing you do. AppleTV owners "want it to be implemented in a versatile fashion throughout Apple's product line" and I guess they also want to see their dollar go as far as it can.

Having a small bluetooth (or whatever wireless technology) dongle that you can never see using a USB port that you never use is not duct taping things together. TC and Airport Extreme both have USB ports that you can be used to connect HDD, printers, and flash drives. iPods have hundreds of accessories that can attach to them. It is called expandability.

PS. I don't think the iPhone bluetooth is capable if anything other than connecting to headset and car handsfree systems.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Fun to note that exactly zero of the posts so far have anything to do with what the article is about ... outputting video from the iPhone itself wired to a TV. Does that say anything about the demand for this?

I guess no one wants a 10 ft cable running from the sofa to the TV

I see this feature to be most useful for people who want to use their iPhone for presentations using a projector.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    wicked!!!
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

What about those who already have AppleTV? they want the same thing you do. AppleTV owners "want it to be implemented in a versatile fashion throughout Apple's product line" and I guess they also want to see their dollar go as far as it can.

Having a small bluetooth (or whatever wireless technology) dongle that you can never see using a USB port that you never use is not duct taping things together. TC and Airport Extreme both have USB ports that you can be used to connect HDD, printers, and flash drives. iPods have hundreds of accessories that can attach to them. It is called expandability.

PS. I don't think the iPhone bluetooth is capable if anything other than connecting to headset and car handsfree systems.

Listen we can bicker all day about what expandability means, but the bottom line is that Apple is never going to sell a bluetooth dongle that goes on the back of your AppleTV's, at this stage, inactive USB port. Apple is not going to sell plastic controllers that connect to a bluetooth dongle. What Apple is already doing is using the iPhone/iPod Touch as a remote for the AppleTV. What do you think is more likely to happen? More iPhone/iPod Touch integration into the AppleTV environment which results in halo effects for both products, or a USB bluetooth dongle and some bluetooth controllers which might sell a few more AppleTVs to the niche market that wants to recreate old-school console play?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Unless you already have a home control system that is tied into a computer that your iPhone can interface with, any of the above is going to require some kind of duct tape and OEM parts. The iPhone doesn't do infrared to control your TV, and its cellular and WiFi radios are not likely programmable to the frequencies needed for your garage door or lights control system (like X10). I don't even think there are any inexpensive Bluetooth bridge-type devices that would do some of this ... though there ought to be.

Thanks, I was wondering why my iPhone won't shut off my TV and close my garage door. My point was that I want my iPhone to be the central hub for executing daily activities. I don't want a TV remote, garage opener, and plastic bluetooth controllers.

Man, I feel like I am taking crazy pills.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Think bigger guys - not the iPhone as a controller, but your cellphone as replacing your game console in a few years.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Think bigger guys - not the iPhone as a controller, but your cellphone as replacing your game console in a few years.

Will it have a built in projector?
  • Reply 28 of 57
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Can anyone tell what is being displayed on the iPhone screen while the game is playing?
  • Reply 29 of 57
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Will it have a built in projector?

Did you even read the article?
  • Reply 30 of 57
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I think you just made my point. I spent $300 on this iPhone and I want it to not only be my phone and portable computer, I want it to be implemented in a versatile fashion throughout Apple's product line. I guess I like to see my dollar go as far as it can. I want my phone to turn off my lights, turn on my TV, shut my garage door from work and cook me dinner (okay that last one might be a stretch).

I think it is backwards thinking to duct tape a bunch of OEM parts to an AppleTV and turn it into a console.

I don't understand how inserting one (1) USB stick into the port of an ATV and using a device a lot of Apple fans probably already have would be legitimately considered "duct taping" a bunch of parts to the ATV.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Did you even read the article?

Did you? I was responding to your "think bigger" comment, so I thought bigger. If the iPhone is to be the console of the future, why not include a pico projector in it. So, why would it make sense for you to now ask me if I read the article? I know it doesn't mention a projector in it, just as it doesn't mention the iPhone becoming this future console. In fact, the article specifically supports what I have been saying all along, i.e. using the iPhone as a controller, "Obviously one could imagine the possibilities of faster iPhones paired wirelessly with Apple TV to serve as a video game controller.".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't understand how inserting one (1) USB stick into the port of an ATV would be legitimately considered "duct taping" a bunch of parts to the ATV.

I specifically referred to the USB bluetooth dongle, bluetooth wireless controllers and third party apps for the AppleTV as duct taping together a console. Last time I checked that would be (3) things, not (1). Regardless of that, I just don't see Apple beginning its console business with a bluetooth dongle and bluetooth controllers duct taped (yeah, I said it again) to the AppleTV. Just don't think it is sexy enough for the el jobso. Using the iPhone with the WIFI, if possible, sounds like a much more attractive option.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:

Listen we can bicker all day about what expandability means, but the bottom line is that Apple is never going to sell a bluetooth dongle that goes on the back of your AppleTV's, at this stage, inactive USB port. Apple is not going to sell plastic controllers that connect to a bluetooth dongle. What Apple is already doing is using the iPhone/iPod Touch as a remote for the AppleTV. What do you think is more likely to happen? More iPhone/iPod Touch integration into the AppleTV environment which results in halo effects for both products, or a USB bluetooth dongle and some bluetooth controllers which might sell a few more AppleTVs to the niche market that wants to recreate old-school console play?

The last time Apple did that it failed (remember 1st version of AppleTV required a computer). People want a standalone devices and not spending $230 buying a device that will only fully work if you buy a $200 phone (or 230 iPod Touch) that requires a minimum of $75 monthly plan just to play games!! You are talking about $460 for a 40GB! People will think "hmmm, I can get PS3 with 80GB, two controllers, and Blue-Ray player that can do all of that for less than $460!!". It would be interesting to see how you will play online games and ask the other party to hold until you finish your phone call!! People won't buy AppleTV because they can use their iPhone as controller. People will buy AppleTV if the can used independently.

Controllers can be motion controlled. There is still place for innovation with the controller. They don't have to be old school. They can even use multi-touch if they really want to.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:

The last time Apple did that it failed (remember 1st version of AppleTV required a computer). People want a standalone devices and not spending $230 buying a device that will only fully work if you buy a $200 phone (or 230 iPod Touch) that requires a minimum of $75 monthly plan just to play games!! You are talking about $460 for a 40GB! People will think "hmmm, I can get PS3 with 80GB, two controllers, and Blue-Ray player that can do all of that for less than $460!!". It would be interesting to see how you will play online games and ask the other party to hold until you finish your phone call!! People won't buy AppleTV because they can use their iPhone as controller. People will buy AppleTV if the can used independently.

Controllers can be motion controlled. There is still place for innovation with the controller. They don't have to be old school. They can even use multi-touch if they really want to.

Are you seriously trying to argue cost within the Apple ecosystem? Let's add up your duct-taped console as an example of how ridiculous your response was.

AppleTV = $230

Apple proprietary Bluetooth Dongle = $ [I'll let you fill in]

Apple proprietary Bluetooth Controllers = $ [I'll let you fill in]

Total = more than the wii, 360, and probably more than PS3. Graphics will be on par with Wii, maybe.

Now, let's add in your mutli-touch controller (which I am sure will be less than the iPod touch right?) Now what is the total? Still more than the other three?

Quote:

People will buy AppleTV if the can used independently.

I think what your trying to say is that people will only use the AppleTV if it can be used independently. I agree, it already can be. Let me ask you a question. In the next 18 months, which is probably sooner than we will see a legit Apple console (if ever), do you plan to buy a new iPod?
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:

People will buy AppleTV if the can used independently..

Further, since I love this sentence of yours so much, could you please reference where I said that the AppleTV was dependent upon anything else. Could you please keep in mind that if your definition of dependency is that my version of the AppleTV requires the iPhone, then how is your duct-taped version any different with your dongle and controls? Would they, in fact, be one in the same as far as your definition of dependency?

For the record I realize that AppleTV, since 2.0, is a completely independent product (sans the iTunes Music Store and a TV of course).
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:

Are you seriously trying to argue cost within the Apple ecosystem? Let's add up your duct-taped console as an example of how ridiculous your response was.

AppleTV = $230

Apple proprietary Bluetooth Dongle = $ [I'll let you fill in]

Apple proprietary Bluetooth Controllers = $ [I'll let you fill in]

Total = more than the wii, 360, and probably more than PS3. Graphics will be on par with Wii, maybe.

Now, let's add in your mutli-touch controller (which I am sure will be less than the iPod touch right?) Now what is the total? Still more than the other three?

I don't know how you came up with the conclusion of costing more that those game console. A bluetooth USB dongle cost less that $10!!

I think you misunderstand what I was saying. This option can be for current AppleTV owners and Apple can sell newer version with built-in bluetooth. This way everyone is happy.

Quote:

I think what your trying to say is that people will only use the AppleTV if it can be used independently. I agree, it already can be. Let me ask you a question. In the next 18 months, which is probably sooner than we will see a legit Apple console (if ever), do you plan to buy a new iPod?

I don't. I already have 3G iPhone.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Neat.

I've always wondered why Apple never allowed games on the AppleTV. It's more powerful than the original XBox; while that's not great by modern gaming standards, simple arcade games like the ones sold for the iPhone shouldn't be a problem.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:

I don't know how you came up with the conclusion of costing more that those game console. A bluetooth USB dongle cost less that $10!!

Do you really think that Apple is going to open up the AppleTV to the world as a console and not be in complete control of the hardware that implements their plan?

PS. Since you have an iPhone, download Tap Defense. It is a ridiculously easy way to waste time.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:

Further, since I love this sentence of yours so much, could you please reference where I said that the AppleTV was dependent upon anything else. Could you please keep in mind that if your definition of dependency is that my version of the AppleTV requires the iPhone, then how is your duct-taped version any different with your dongle and controls? Would they, in fact, be one in the same as far as your definition of dependency?

For the record I realize that AppleTV, since 2.0, is a completely independent product (sans the iTunes Music Store and a TV of course).

You suggest that using an iPhone as controller is better. By doing, so the only people who will get the most of what they paid for AppleTV are those who buy or already bought iPhone/Touch. Therefore, playing games on AppleTV will be dependent on whether you have an iPhone or iPod Touch.

The dongle and controller can be packages together. PS3 controllers are sold for around $55 each so I guess the price should be around that, which can be included with newer AppleTV version (for small premium). This will bring the price close to Wii but with extras.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:

Do you really think that Apple is going to open up the AppleTV to the world as a console and not be in complete control of the hardware that implements their plan?

PS. Since you have an iPhone, download Tap Defense. It is a ridiculously easy way to waste time.

Nevermind.. wrong post
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:

Here we go. Starting the personal and immature attacks. No one is forcing you to reply you know. You can stop whenever you want

How is that a personal attack? On Apple for being control freaks?