Steve Jobs key to selecting tunes for Apple ads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

As a shareholder, I am concerned about two issues arising from this: (1) There might be a trade-off with how much time he has available, as a CEO, to address larger issues: e.g., I'd rather that he spent as much time understanding things such as options contracts that his lieutenants are/were cooking up for him (he confessed complete ignorance, as you might recall); (2) This kind of deep personal involvement in (and stamp on) minutiae is why Apple's stock takes a horrible tumble every time there is the slightest whiff that SJ's health is an issue.

So you want CEO's to spend their time focussing on stuff like how much money they are making, and not on the products that their company produces?

Most CEOs don't do much of anything for the money but take trips, buy jets, and suck out money for themselves. To have a CEO of a huge company like Apple behave as if the company is a small startup and involve himself in the day to day decisions is a very good thing IMO.

Look at it this way. Jobs is decidedly different than any other CEO and Apple itself runs decidedly different from most companies. Together they are hugely successful at almost everything they do, something those other CEOs can't say.

So who's right?
  • Reply 22 of 60
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Haha. I never would have guessed ... you know, with all the U2/Bono images plastered all over the old iPod pages, (and is that Bono singing into the mic as the 'Artists' button on the iPhone/iPod touch btw? I've always wondered, looks a heck of a lot like his profile).

I think the music is always pretty spot on for the market they're trying to attract too. Light, energetic, happy and catchy. It's all a matter of opinion really, but I like them.

Also: 'You guys are going to be in this ad, and you have to be happy and smile about that,' - I understand the band not being thrilled at Apple cutting up the song. Sure it's massive exposure, but the music is their baby. Imagine if BabyCo. did a photo shoot with your kid and in post-production they made it look different to fit the ad... that'd kinda hurt.

Jimzip
  • Reply 23 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The best ad they had for the iPod is the only one he didn't pick the music for lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGZ9sIAuJ9k
  • Reply 24 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

I think this is just another revelation of what makes Jobs such a good CEO. He's willing to get his hands dirty in the nitty gritty details where he feels it's important. What other CEO would take the time to bother with music for an ad campaign?

I think the term is called micromanagement. Most of the time, it's not considered a good thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I don't know what this band is thinking if they are not thrilled Apple/Jobs chose that song. What could be better advertising for their music than say having a song of yours played a zillion times on US TV?

???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppeInsider

"Apparently he just loved that track, but we never saw it as one of our singles," Iversen said. "We have some other songs that we thought would be great singles, and that would work cool on for the radio, but he really loved that song."

Iversen noted that the selection was made ahead of the September introduction of the new iPod touch, and therefore everything was kept hush, hush. The band was even kept in the dark about some edits Apple made to the flow of its song, which it wasn't too thrilled with initially.

Nothing negative about the choice of song, but rather changes to the song. And it seems like they're OK with that now.

But artists are like that, some don't like other people mucking with their work.

I didn't see any credits in the song, I don't see how it's good advertising for the band if they don't say who the band is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by msb0014 View Post

"The Danish band is represented in the United States by a little-known company called Synch, which managed to get in touch with Apple and arrange for a sit down meeting with Jobs himself."

As busy as Steve Jobs is does he have the time to have a sit down meeting with an unknown Danish band??? I do believe SJ likes control and probably chooses the songs on some of the iPod/Touch ads but really this is why they pay ad agencies.

It looks more like the representatives saw Jobs, not the band.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

So you want CEO's to spend their time focussing on stuff like how much money they are making, and not on the products that their company produces?

You bet. Assuming he makes money only if the shareholder makes money. Note that your shareholders don't make money in the long-run if you don't produce and sell a product at a price (and quality) that consumers want and are willing to pay for, and simultaneously make a profit.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Much as I have deep admiration for Jobs and his achievements, I do have to say that I find this level of personal involvement a bit creepy.

And, it reflects somewhat poorly on the trust/faith he has in his lieutenants.

LOL he's prolly bored. There's so many new ideas and concepts he works on, can't be busy 24/7. I would do the same thing.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Different CEOs have different strengths and weaknesses.

Steve Jobs' strengths are design and marketing so it is natural for him to be more involved in these areas.

I doubt Steve has written a line of code in many years where as some CEOs, who are more skilled as programmers, may do so occasionally.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Another thing, Steve loves music.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Hi guys, we really don't know the context of this meeting. I mean, it is not unusual to have an ad agency briefing where a multitude of issues are addressed including the music for the ads. It would not be unusual for band representation to attend, and pitch their songs. It's part of the fun of the creative process, and what makes for a good client relationship. Any CEO who is willing to get involved at this level and do a good job at it is OK in my book. Why do you think Apple can execute with speed where other companies stumble and choke?? Because they've got a guy at the top who is decisive, and gifted with good taste.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

• Reply 30 of 60
    Well, he has good taste in music, because every song since the iPod nano 3G came out has ended up on my iPod.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Ever wonder how those catchy tunes find their way into Apple's iPod commercials? You'll have to look no further than the ear of chief executive Steve Jobs.

From Steve's ears to Oprah's eyes- no one needs to think anymore.

Some of those songs are down right annoying.

Can't he just pay Barry Mainlow to write a jingle?
  • Reply 32 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The best ad they had for the iPod is the only one he didn't pick the music for lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGZ9sIAuJ9k

That is my favorite too. I like them all and this info does show how obsessive Jobs is about, at the very least, the marketing of Apple's products.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Most CEO's just sit on their fat ass and have no involvement whatsoever. Steve Jobs saved the company from bankruptcy, made shareholders profitable, changed the world with a slew of new products, and the company is debt free with more money in the bank than most companies today. So I think he knows what he is doing and knows how to run a company. These ads work and they get peoples attention. So more power to him.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I didn't see any credits in the song, I don't see how it's good advertising for the band if they don't say who the band is.

Riiiiight....

Every song featured in an Apple ad almost immediately gets a big jump in its ranking on itunes.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Building on Cameronj's comment (though in a less jeering manner ), finding the artist to songs in TV shows and advertisements are so easy these days. Even Shazam et al. work very well for finding out the song, but without it a quick google search for the lyrics you heard will get you the info fast. It seems that finding the advert on YouTube and reading the comments for an answer would be about the most searching one would have to do.

PS: I love Shazam! I used to write down the lyrics I heard so I could look it up later, but Shazam does all the work for me.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

One more thing - Steve loves to sell music.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

I just saw "There Will Be Blood" last night and I have to say that Steve Jobs reminds me a lot of Daniel Plainview. Ruthless, personally involved with everything, doesn't trust anyone, doesn't even like people. And as someone said, it's almost a little creepy.

Just put a big ole handlebar mustache on him, and you're right... oh, Artman!
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kbklv View Post

Nic Harcourt, a DJ from KCRW in Santa Monica, CA also has a big hand in picking what music goes in Apple's ads.

Brilliant!
  • Reply 39 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Riiiiight....

Every song featured in an Apple ad almost immediately gets a big jump in its ranking on itunes.

Interesting, I've never heard of that.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Apple uses a communications company (an Ad Agency) to create all of its brand marketing content.

Its a widely-publicized relationship that goes back more than 25 years.

Look it up: TBWA\\Chiat\\Day (now part of the Media Arts Lab)

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/t...php?mail2=true

Steve Jobs *DOES* approve all brand and marketing decisions, but he does *NOT* pick the music. The advertising agency has a music director or contracts out to a company that sources new music.

The agency picks the music, makes several versions of each ad, then puts them in front of Steve for the thumbs up/down call.

The 'beatmaker' referenced in the story is full of crap...

Seriously - do some research...