Apple's Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update may be around the corner

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    AWESOME... I have so many freaking issues with 10.5.5. By far the worst point release update for 10.5 for me. I have had some many freezes, beachballs, lots of fun. I ended up going back to 10.5.4.

BTW I tried virgin 10.5.5 as well.. and still did it on my 2.33 mbp.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    Anyone having any problems must be doing something wrong because I never have problems.
  • Reply 23 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Anyone having any problems must be doing something wrong because I never have problems.

Yah that's good reasoning.
  • Reply 24 of 74
    They're not problems, they're adventures!
  • Reply 25 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

AWESOME... I have so many freaking issues with 10.5.5. By far the worst point release update for 10.5 for me. I have had some many freezes, beachballs, lots of fun. I ended up going back to 10.5.4.

Oh man, SAME HERE. Ever since 10.5.5, i get GUI freezes and even random pnics. They better have taken care of that cause i feel like throwing my MBP on the wall sometimes.

Adi
  • Reply 26 of 74
    sorry i spelt it wrong... cute gecko though LOL

u know what i meant... from the GET GO! haha ...

my time machine errors (on three iMacs) are...

"Time machine could not backup at this time"

its a known issue
  • Reply 27 of 74
    I'm gonna start using "from the gecko". Hey, that's how slang gets invented, and a google search shows plenty of people using it that way on purpose...
  • Reply 28 of 74
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I'm gonna start using "from the gecko". Hey, that's how slang gets invented, and a google search shows plenty of people using it that way on purpose...

Yeah, but those are Geico shills.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ouate de Phoque View Post

They're not problems, they're adventures!

Heh, unless they happen while you're working.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Then it's an opportunity for a cup of coffee, and a cool down.

See Apple is always thinking of you.

Well it's like this, I spent some time in the Navy and 90 % of the problems were Pilot error.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Then it's an opportunity for a cup of coffee, and a cool down.

See Apple is always thinking of you.

So thoughtful
  • Reply 32 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

sorry i spelt it wrong... cute gecko though LOL

u know what i meant... from the GET GO! haha ...

my time machine errors (on three iMacs) are...

"Time machine could not backup at this time"

its a known issue

Interestingly, I have seen Time Machine errors solely on iMacs that have a Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse setup. Is that the situation with your iMac? Also, are you using an attached HD or Time Capsule? One of my clients (I work in IT) had an iMac with Time Capsule with intermittent errors. The issue turned out to be too much wireless radio frequency crossover. I simply changed the channel on the Time Capsule and the problem was resolved. So in short, if your Time Machine is backing up to a wireless device such as Time Capsule (the only officially allowed method from Apple, as it is possible to attach a HD to another router and configure wireless Time Machine backups to it, but it is not recommended as the hardware is untested by Apple with said software and bugs may ensue), and you have a wireless keyboard/mouse setup as well as cordless phones (or any combination thereof), try changing the channels to avoid radio interference.

In regards to those complaining about Airport Wireless connectivity with MacBook Pro's, I hate to inform you but the issue is hardware related. Aluminum does not play well with wireless devices. In fact, it may decrease the Airport wireless card's ability to connect with networks by as much as 30-40%, which is amusing considering Apple has implemented aluminum across their portable lineup. However, I believe in the new MacBook Pro's (I just sold my early 2008 MacBook Pro for a new unit and thankfully have had no issues with it's Airport card), Apple may have moved the Airport cards to account for aluminum interference.

Finally, in regards to some comments regarding Windows users crossing over and PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair), as I used to build Windows machines and now work in both Windows and Mac environments, I have to admit 75% of the time this is precisely the issue. Windows users are used to having numerous software applications; anti-virus, anti-spyware, theming applications, Norton Utilities and defraggers and on and on that when using a Mac and not needing those applications they feel "unsafe" and naked. So they start buying and installing this software, and from witnessing this first hand, nothing screws up a Mac more than Norton software. I can't tell you how many times I had to uninstall Windows-esque software from Mac's for users who just converted to Apple. If you're a new Mac user, just be content that it works out of the box, no other software is necessary .

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to 10.5.6...
  • Reply 33 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I find it odd how people can claim these issues yet don't explain what they were doing at the time of supposed error.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CJD2112 View Post

Interestingly, I have seen Time Machine errors solely on iMacs that have a Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse setup. Is that the situation with your iMac? Also, are you using an attached HD or Time Capsule?

I get the random errors on TM and I don't use bluetooth, it's completely off, and I am using a Mac Pro with an internal HD used as a backup.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Interestingly, I have seen Time Machine errors solely on iMacs that have a Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse setup. Is that the situation with your iMac? Also, are you using an attached HD or Time Capsule? One of my clients (I work in IT) had an iMac with Time Capsule with intermittent errors. The issue turned out to be too much wireless radio frequency crossover. I simply changed the channel on the Time Capsule and the the problem was resolved. So in short, if your Time Machine is backing up to a wireless device such as Time Capsule (the only officially allowed method from Apple, as it is possible to attach a HD to another router and configure wireless Time Machine backups to it, but it is not recommended as the hardware is untested by Apple with said software and bugs may ensue), and you have a wireless keyboard/mouse setup as well as cordless phones (or any combination thereof), try changing the channels to avoid radio interference.

In regards to those complaining about Airport Wireless connectivity with MacBook Pro's, I hate to inform you but the issue is hardware related. Aluminum does not play well with wireless devices. In fact, it may decrease the Airport wireless card's ability to connect with networks by as much as 30-40%, which is amusing considering Apple has implemented aluminum across their portable lineup. However, I believe in the new MacBook Pro's (I just sold my early 2008 MacBook Pro for a new unit and thankfully have had no issues with it's Airport card), Apple may have moved the Airport cards to account for aluminum interference.

Finally, in regards to some comments regarding Windows users crossing over and PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair), as I used to build Windows machines and now work in both Windows and Mac environments, I have to admit 75% of the time this is precisely the issue. Windows users are used to having numerous software applications; anti-virus, anti-spyware, theming applications, Norton Utilities and defraggers and on and on that when using a Mac and not needing those applications they feel "unsafe" and naked. So they start buying and installing this software, and from witnessing this first hand, nothing screws up a Mac more than Norton software. I can't tell you how many times I had to uninstall Windows-esque software from Mac's for users who just converted to Apple. If you're a new Mac user, just be content that it works out of the box, no other software is necessary .

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to 10.5.6...

Good comment! I'll just add my experience as one more data point: I have the recent MBP, 2.53Ghz and have no problems at all. It just works. Of course there are problems, or we wouldn't have more point updates from Apple, but I believe most have been pushed beyond the horizon of the ordinary user.

(However there is one issue that I've already commented on here: the screen/lid is too heavy for the hinge and will swing back from inertia when I pick it up off the coffee table. The hinge needs to be tighter for a screen this heavy. But this is not a software issue: it is a design mistake.)
  • Reply 36 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Elvis did a song "in the Gecko' years back.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Got the WiFi blues with a White Plastic MacBook.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    I haven't had any wireless issues with mine per se. My wireless box at home is an Airport/Timecapsule, other places I've used the Linksys boxes with no problem. The only problem of a really flaky connection is a D-Link box at the office which refuses to keep a stable connection. I just unplug the box each morning to reboot it and it's fine afterwards.

Make sure your wireless box is in a clear location away from metal that might impede the signal. Also, if you're box is on the other side of the building/house and the signal has to pass through numerous walls, doors, whatever, it will be a hit-and-miss scenario too.

It's easy to blame Apple but in my experience with mine and other folks, it usually points to the wireless router/Access-point.

Just my 2-cents. Hope you find a resolution to this.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

What errors? My TM has worked perfectly.

Mine works great most of the time. I had my system board replaced and Time Machine lost its mind about my older backups. Apparently there's some hardware identity deal that got lost with the new board I'm guessing. Anyone have a similar issue?

It really isn't a big deal to me now but if it happens again I'd be a little bummed.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    [QUOTE=ljocampo;1348900]Apple is always blamed for problems that users have whether it's their software's fault or not. It's my experience that many of the problems I see here and elsewhere complained about are in fact conflicts from the users setup, improper setting, or third party software they use.

---

Well Apple managed to find at least 100 problems on their own to fix. Unless they blame themselves?