New iPod In-Ear Headphone reviewed: Apple's best yet

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Like everyone else who wants this for the iPhone, having no use of the volume controls is just plain stupid to me. The fact that Apple themselves points out that its not compatible with the iPhone should be a flag for reviewers to not sugar coat the product for iPhone use. Its not compatible with it. It's not for iPhone users, period.

Not sure if that is totally correct.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3310
  • Reply 42 of 55
    I got mine from Purolator last week (couldn't be bothered for the Apple stores here in Toronto to get them, they'll always be sold out anyway). I really like them. Sound quality is ok, not incredible but ok, they fit perfectly in my ears and the buds don't fall off the earphones at all. You have to pull really hard to get them off actually. For making calls, I actually prefer talking with my original iPhone earphones. Like all in ears, you can hear your own voice because your ears are blocked from the inserts which I find sounds very odd when I'm talking to someone during a call.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeff K-C View Post

What I would LOVE to see is a mono/stereo setting option.

... it would be nice to have the option to hear all of the music from each earbud. As it is, if you need to, or are only able to listen to one earbud, some music is so heavily split stereophonically that what you end up listening to is nothing close to the full sound of the song. You end up listening to the bass, rhythm guitar and harmonies, or you can choose the rest of the band minus the fore mentioned.

Jeff

Sorry to hear about your situation Jeff. I don't know if you are aware that Radio Shack sells (or at least use to sell) a stereo to mono adapter. While definitely not the most elegant solution, it'll take the place of a "software switch" for now.

--Dave
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Have tried bose, etymotic research, the original apple earphones and the new ear pods. After going round with the phones for awhile there is very little doubt that the sound of the original phones is by far superior. The new pods are very bright with little to no low end. They are very similar to the etymotic phones. The originals stand out from the rest.

Rob
  • Reply 45 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suntzulynn View Post

Have tried bose, etymotic research, the original apple earphones and the new ear pods. After going round with the phones for awhile there is very little doubt that the sound of the original phones is by far superior. The new pods are very bright with little to no low end. They are very similar to the etymotic phones. The originals stand out from the rest.

Rob

I can't comment on the original headphones, but these are far superior to the ones currently offered for the iPhone. My biggest con is the lack of bass compared with other, more expensive options. The pros are the crispness compared to others at the price-point, but most importantly is the comfort of the in-ear phones. I wore them continuously for 12 hours while on a very, very long road trip. My ears do not hurt, like 2 minutes with Apple's default buds or with a couple hours with other in-ear phones. They mic and controls work better than the default phones for the iPhone.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Alright, who here has actually used these new headphones w/mic on the iPod touch AND actually made calls using Fring or TruPhone over WiFi.

If you've made calls using this headset OR a different headset, I'm looking for feedback. So far, reviews have been incomplete and frustratingly short of info when it comes to using the touch for VOIP/Skype internet telephony.

Someone has to have gone through this process besides me! Also, if Apple's new headphones are inadequate for making Fring/TruPhone/Skype calls, what have you been using? Thanks all.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
  • Reply 48 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Alright, who here has actually used these new headphones w/mic on the iPod touch AND actually made calls using Fring or TruPhone over WiFi.

If you've made calls using this headset OR a different headset, I'm looking for feedback. So far, reviews have been incomplete and frustratingly short of info when it comes to using the touch for VOIP/Skype internet telephony.

Someone has to have gone through this process besides me! Also, if Apple's new headphones are inadequate for making Fring/TruPhone/Skype calls, what have you been using? Thanks all.

I just tried Fringe's Skype Out using my Mac as a router connected to my AT&T 3G AirCard since the iPhone has to be on WiFi to use Skype Out. Then I tested my Skype In. Obviously, Fringe had to be working for Skype In to work.

Both worked, however the person I called and who called me was only a few feet away and the latncy between speaking and receiving was prominent on both ends. It seemed to be a full second. Unacceptable for calls but I did have to run a wonky setup to get WiFi working.

If there are things in particular you want to test let me know.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    have a view on http://www.blueunplugged.com/c.aspx?c=47019

might be helpful.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I just tried Fringe's Skype Out using my Mac as a router connected to my AT&T 3G AirCard since the iPhone has to be on WiFi to use Skype Out. Then I tested my Skype In. Obviously, Fringe had to be working for Skype In to work.

Both worked, however the person I called and who called me was only a few feet away and the latncy between speaking and receiving was prominent on both ends. It seemed to be a full second. Unacceptable for calls but I did have to run a wonky setup to get WiFi working.

If there are things in particular you want to test let me know.

Specifically, I need to know if Fring (or TruPhone) + some kind of headset w/mic works on a 2nd gen iPod touch... AND what kind of headset can be used for both the touch & at my desktop Mac. It's difficult to believe no one has addressed this cross-pollination of product ideas yet. Is there a "one headset to rule them all"? \ Thanks, solipsism.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by angelinalove View Post

have a view on http://www.blueunplugged.com/c.aspx?c=47019

might be helpful.

Thanks for the link, Angelinalove. I looked around and could not find the kind of one-size-fits-all device I'm looking for.

UPDATE: ... I wonder if these might do it?

I've decided to get some Scottevest shirts instead of another idiotic iPod touch carrying case. The t-shirts only cost like $25 and they don't increase the junk I'll just end up losing... now, about those headphones+mic....
  • Reply 52 of 55
    If you have a 4G iPod nano, "6.5G" iPod classic 120 GB or 2G iPod touch, these new headphones work well and have full functionality. But since I have a 3G iPod nano, I don't find these headphones useful, so I ended up with the superior-sounding (at least to me!) Audio-Technica ATH-CK7 for slightly less than what Apple wants for these new headphones.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

If you have a 4G iPod nano, "6.5G" iPod classic 120 GB or 2G iPod touch, these new headphones work well and have full functionality. But since I have a 3G iPod nano, I don't find these headphones useful, so I ended up with the superior-sounding (at least to me!) Audio-Technica ATH-CK7 for slightly less than what Apple wants for these new headphones.

Good pick! The Ck7 is the time best under $100. Audio Techinca seem having problem to make a better headphones over CK7. I found Panasonic have a new RP-HJE900 in-ear which is quiet interesting. The phones launched last year and it is now available for sale! The cord is detachable .............wow!
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gabriel.Dog View Post

Good pick! The Ck7 is the time best under $100. Audio Techinca seem having problem to make a better headphones over CK7. I found Panasonic have a new RP-HJE900 in-ear which is quiet interesting. The phones launched last year and it is now available for sale! The cord is detachable .............wow!

I know there will be thousands of shouts of "Sony sucks!", but has anyone tried the EX-300's? I LOVE mine! They are such a huge HUGE improvement over the EX-71s and variants I've used for years. I got mine for only $40.

Then, for those who like multiple driver/multiple layer units, how do the EX-700's compare to Shures/Etys/UE of similar spec, and how do those compare to the much less expensive Apple in-ears?
  • Reply 55 of 55
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elconcho View Post

I don't know what all the hubub is about that apple came out with these earphones. because the plastic is white?

if you're serious about in-ear phones, check out the line from Etymotic Research. I have had a set of the the ER6's for over a year. They're reference neutral, totally isolating, and the same price as the apple's on ebay.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx

Check them out

nah go here for the best headphones of any kind .clear bright true floating bass.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private...ortable_500772

sennheiser is the best i own a pair of 950 's and i never knew how good music could be . On the neil young album harvest

i can hear 5 kinds of piano .!