OpenCL and OpenGL take on DirectX

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    So does this mean a lot of games are already semi-ported to GNU/Linux since they use OpenGL? " Why aren't we having all kinds of games for GNU/Linux??!!!!!

"The console exception is of course Microsoft's Xbox, which was named after the DirectX graphics libraries it was designed promote in an effort to stop a broad migration to OpenGL in gaming and a subsequent erosion of Microsoft's software monopoly. "

This sounds like abuse of Monopolistic power to me. Just because a company has a leading market share in the computer Operating System, does not mean they should be allowed to stomp all over an Open platform of any kind by leveraging their market position. It's kinda like some over zealous corporation coming into your local library and burning down the books. Open standards should be more protected. This kinda crap needs to be stopped, it's retarding our future of technology!! Technology is a science, and profiteering, vendor-locking, technology-restricting trolls are burning down the research libraries in front of our eyes.

Stop the TAX!!!!

GO GNU/LINUX!!!!
  • Reply 62 of 73
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shannon_VanWagner View Post

This kinda crap needs to be stopped, it's retarding our future of technology!! Technology is a science, and profiteering, vendor-locking, technology-restricting trolls are burning down the research libraries in front of our eyes.

What do you do if the vendor locking technology is the one driving the industry forward because it isn't pandering to CAD software developers who don't want their apps broken?

If OpenGL had kept up then people would use it more.

R&D costs money so do you force people to spend their money on improving open technology that everyone uses thereby not making a return on that investment? What happens is that companies just stop spending in that area and try to make smarter business decisions. It would be great if business worked in such a way that every move could further technology as well as being sustainable financially but sadly the real world doesn't work like this.

Technology progresses by competition and only with competition does technology drive forward quickly. Hence the rapid improvements in GPU technology with Nvidia and ATI trying to outperform each other. Same with Intel and AMD. When you remove yourself sufficiently from the competition, you can do things like put laptop hardware in your entire consumer desktop line and pretend it's an ok thing to do.

Exclusivity strengthens an entire eco-system and Microsoft need these to survive but it also keeps Apple and a huge number of other companies alive too. If Microsoft had to be forced to further OpenGL then surely Apple would have to be forced to allow their OS on other hardware. It's exclusivity all the same.

I actually don't think that the Mac and Linux communities are worth putting in effort for regarding gaming. You're probably talking about 50 million or so desktop machines total and a small percentage of that is capable of gaming and another percentage is actually interested in gaming, I think you'd be lucky to hit an audience of 5 million, which is a fraction of console target audiences and PC gamers who have grown in numbers over a period of years.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    I think the adoption of open CL and Grand Central as core parts of OSX opens up all sorts of possibilities for Apple to assault the living room with an end run around the existing console makers. More here at http://goldenboat.wordpress.com/2008...-trojan-horse/!
  • Reply 64 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apfel View Post

The "facts" in the article are wrong. What your are writing is maybe true in theory but thats just all.

Take a look at the official Subset of OpenGL. If you want modern features you have to take the Extensions from Nvidia or ATI.

Windows-OpenGL != Linux-OpenGL != Mac-OpenGL. And Nvidia-OpenGL != AMD-OpenGL

e.g. NVIDIA Hardware und OpenGL problems

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...614#Post246614

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...267#Post246267

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...075#Post245075

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...629#Post242629

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...472#Post241472

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...209#Post246209

OpenGL3 is a joke. Big promisses but nearly "nothing" happened. At the end also Carmack (one of the big supporters) was pissed about OpenGL3. DirectX is much better for the programmer.

The PS3 is able to use PSGL. PSGL is a specified Version from OpenGL ES. But PSGL is just an option for the ps3. There are also so much extensions, that where remains nearly nothing from "to be independent from the hardware". No one who understand something from coding on the ps3 will use PSGL.

The Nintendo Wii is using a Custom API. Some of the Concepts of OpenGL are simliar.

I'd estimate > 90% of OpenGL markets are NOT GAMES.

The point of OpenGL 3.0 is to get those non-gaming folks to prepare for 3.1 which will cut ties with those CAD/CAM deprecated OpenGL APIs littered throughout applications from AutoDesk and others.

When OpenGL 3.1 comes with it's OO model and those deprecated APIs out you're not going to see whining from the CAD Industry as they were forewarned to adapt or be left behind.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It's too bad Apple didn't release Quickdraw 3D back in 1995 the way it's releasing OpenCL. That was way ahead of OpenGL, and anything else. It might have made it.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's too bad Apple didn't release Quickdraw 3D back in 1995 the way it's releasing OpenCL. That was way ahead of OpenGL, and anything else. It might have made it.

One of the first toolkits we wanted to kill with the merger was QuickDraw 3D. I am not going to go into the background, but let's just say it was DOA with the goals and direction of Rhapsody and later OS X.

More information now available about OpenCL and OpenGL working together from SIGGRAPH December in Asia.

http://www.khronos.org/library/detai...aph_asia_2008/

There are plenty of code examples in the PDFs, not to mention the back portion of the OpenCL hints at what GPUs are supported.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

One of the first toolkits we wanted to kill with the merger was QuickDraw 3D. I am not going to go into the background, but let's just say it was DOA with the goals and direction of Rhapsody and later OS X.

More information now available about OpenCL and OpenGL working together from SIGGRAPH December in Asia.

http://www.khronos.org/library/detai...aph_asia_2008/

There are plenty of code examples in the PDFs, not to mention the back portion of the OpenCL hints at what GPUs are supported.

The NEXT people wanted to kill a lot of things. It looked in the beginning that they wanted Apple to be a successful version of NEXT, but it didn't quite happen. The users actually had a voice in that.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    Quote:

The NEXT people wanted to kill a lot of things. It looked in the beginning that they wanted Apple to be a successful version of NEXT, but it didn't quite happen. The users actually had a voice in that.

It wasn't the users. It was Macromedia, Microsoft and Adobe. Without them the company would have folded.

Now, flashfoward. Where is the operating system heading towards? NeXTSTEP for OS X 10.6.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It wasn't the users. It was Macromedia, Microsoft and Adobe. Without them the company would have folded.

Now, flashfoward. Where is the operating system heading towards? NeXTSTEP for OS X 10.6.

I'm speaking about the GUI elements mostly.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    Quote:

I'm speaking about the GUI elements mostly.

That was a pragmatic infighting between developer groups that resulted in an abortion for Rhapsody.

Tim Wasko [NeXT] was put in charge of modernizing and coming up with a compromise because we couldn't get Keith Ohlfs to leave WebTV at the time due to his stock windfall with Microsoft.

My 2cents were an option in Preferences to choose between the current look or a modernized NeXT look, as choice.

That took a back seat to getting Aqua done.

I hope they revisit it.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Apple is pushing for OpenCL/GL acceleration for the iPhone & perhaps for the high end tools. Didn't they hire someone who is popular on the mobile graphics field? I don't see a push for gaming on the Macintosh.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Apple is pushing for OpenCL/GL acceleration for the iPhone & perhaps for the high end tools. Didn't they hire someone who is popular on the mobile graphics field? I don't see a push for gaming on the Macintosh.

I don't think it needs to be thought of as a dichotomy. Given the new graphics that I think will probably be in the entire line-up, the base MacBook can run much more powerful games than the previous models have.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

http://jobsearch.monster.com/Search....ad_units=miles

Quote:

Apple/Mac System Software Engineer

NVIDIA Corporation

Santa Clara, CA 95050

Dec 29

Senior System Software Engineer - Apple/Mac

NVIDIA Corporation

Santa Clara, CA 95050

Dec 29

Senior System Software Engineer

NVIDIA Corporation