RIM nears iPhone's sales with 6.7 million BlackBerries

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

Apple had a huge summer because of pent up demand for the 3g - which for some reason people had decided they had to have.

Given that Apple has only been in the business one year, the fact that they put pressure on BB and forced them to come up with a new device is a big deal.

Also note that Apple does not offer a device for Verizon. They would have more sales if they did.

Also, let's not forget, the iPhone went global with the introduction of the G3 version and it still continues to move into territories it was not previously available. Also, seems to me that a lot of people don't take into consideration that the iPhone is a platform, and as such iPod touch sales should be included when considering the overall market potential. Especially for third party developers. This is a platform that is only 18 months old, but is fast approaching numbers equal to the Macintosh user base and has surpassed Windows Mobile.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

If a company is doing well regardless of how or where the industry is

Market share matters to revenue and profits, which is a measure of how well the company is doing.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Market share matters to revenue and profits, which is a measure of how well the company is doing.

That's absolutely not true. Apple had 17% market share for unit sales of notebooks, but yet took over 30% share of dollars. It's all about profit, not share of any particular market. A companies well being has nothing to do with the size of their share of a market. This applies to all markets.

And a company with the smallest market share but a great foundation to build from is usually the best place to invest money. Anyone who knew anything about Apple 7 years ago and were they were headed would've seen a good investment opportunity. By your logic, no one should ever invest in a start-up company with a miniscule share of any market.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

i have an iPhone. i returned countless ones due to poor quality control... I bet Apple didnt include those in the millions of phones sold... so why should blackberry?

It's because Apple doesn't like you kid, they make sure you get all the lemons. The rest of us get the good stuff. Sorry kid, that's just the ay it is.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    It's not like Apple is trying to copy RIM...it's just the opposite. Apple sells one product to one carrier, yet it seems to have everyone debating it, copying it, dismissing it. Still, there it goes...the computer company selling 10 million smartphones in a very polished and feature-rich package.

/
  • Reply 26 of 40
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

i have an iPhone. i returned countless ones due to poor quality control... I bet Apple didnt include those in the millions of phones sold... so why should blackberry?

wow... how high can you count kid?
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Its not very surprising really. Just like no one bought an iPhone from April to May, no one bought a blackberry from June to August because of the new ones coming out. I remember an article here gloating about how Apple had killed RIM in sales during this period.

Personally I'm happy with my phone, and thats all I really care about.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

What the heck are you talking about, I have the brochures for the iPhone 3g for fido and rogers in front of me and the plans start at sixty dollars, the iPhone is far from dead here, its probably the hottest phone at least here in Toronto where everyone is rocking one.

Goodluck with that. Go and seriously inquire about one, and what the final cost will be.

The $60 plan gives you zero data. Just the phone part. If you read my post, you will see that I mention the cheapest plan with data.

Go to their website and check it out yourself.

My guess is people are "rocking" an iPod Touch and pretending to talk into it to look cool... it is Toronto after all.

Mats Sundin in Van... wooot.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    The reason RIM sold that many is because it's available on ALL U.S. networks. The iPhone is only available on AT&T. Now imagine if the iPhone was available on the Verizon network too.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Goodluck with that. Go and seriously inquire about one, and what the final cost will be.

The $60 plan gives you zero data. Just the phone part. If you read my post, you will see that I mention the cheapest plan with data.

My guess is people are "rocking" an iPod Touch and pretending to talk into it to look cool... it is Toronto after all.

If you order an iPhone online from Fido's website, you can choose between 2 packages - $60 gets you:

- 250 included local weekday daytime (8 AM to 7 PM Monday to Friday) minutes, billed by the second.

- 35¢ for additional local weekday daytime minutes, also billed by the second.

- unlimited local weekend (7 PM Friday to 8 AM Monday) and evening (7 PM to 8 AM Monday to Friday) minutes.

- unlimited domestic texting

- 500 MB of data

- Visual Voicemail

- Unlimited access to all Rogers and Fido WiFi hotspots

If you upgrade to the $75 option, you get the same deal, except:

- Included local daytime weekday minutes doubles to 500.

- Data allotment doubles to 1GB.

Of course, taxes, 911 fees, and other surcharges will apply. (Fido's newest promotional plans do not have an additional system access fee... But the special iPhone plans are not part of that deal.)

If you opted for Rogers instead, their website offers a $60 plan that gets you:

- 250 included local weekday daytime (7 AM to 9 PM) minutes, billed by the minute

- 35¢ for additional local weekday daytime minutes, also billed by the minute

- unlimited local weekend (9 PM Friday to 7 AM Monday) and evening (9 PM to 7 AM Monday to Friday) minutes. (An optional $9 monthly fee would start the evening rate at 5 PM; an optional $7 monthly fee would start the evening rate at 7 PM.)

- 75 outgoing domestic texts (ALL incoming domestic texts are always free on Rogers)

- 15¢ for all additional outgoing domestic texts.

- 1 GB of data

- Visual Voicemail

- Unlimited access to all Rogers and Fido WiFi hotspots

If you upgrade to the $75 option, you get:

- Included local weekday minutes increases to 400.

- Data allotment doubles to 2 GB.

And again, taxes, 911 fees, and system access fees will apply.

In Nova Scotia, Rogers online service will let me opt for one other iPhone approved plan. A combination of a separately available $35 voice plan and $25 data plan, totaling $60, gets you:

- 450 local weekday daytime (7 AM to 9 PM Monday to Friday) minutes

- Unlimited local weekends (9 PM Friday to 7 AM Monday) and evenings (9 PM to 7 AM Monday to Friday)

- 100 domestic long distance anytime minutes

- 500 MB of data

Once more, taxes, 911 fees, and system access fees will apply.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

I have the brochure with me right, you get 1 gb of data for sixty dollars. Didnt you hear Rogers set a new record when the launched the new phone for most sold, its a very popular phone, I see it everwhere.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

The iPhone is as good as dead in Canada. \

they should start to sell iphones at appl store unlocked, not much more expensive than ipods. or even same price but lower specs. then the iphone will have future.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:

RIIIIIGHT.....Countless...
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Going into the holidays I would have to give the edge to Apple and AT&T. People lean much more towards cool-factor and style for holiday gifts.

Even though Blackberry has the advantage of Verizon's dominant customer base, AT&T is quickly closing that gap. And the new Apple/AT&T iPhone holiday promotion that simplifies giving an iPhone+plan as a gift with one gift-card will definitely help them close that gap even more.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Market share doesn't make a product any better or worse.

Exactly, A Rolls Royce is no less a supreme luxury car just because there are fewer of them on the road then say a Lincoln, Cadillac, or Lexus. Sure you can get into the "meat" of comparison by saying the RR is hand built with actual polished wood and leather from certain animal products etc, versus what one might consider a luxury car sold in the US. Just saying... \
  • Reply 36 of 40
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Both Apple and RIMM's sales figures were padded via channel stuffing, so I don't know if you can trust either 6.9 million number, particularly if RIMM refused to offer sell-through numbers, while we know that Apple's sell-through was about 4.9 million.

MS is notorious for channel stuffing in order to meet predicted shipment totals. Maintaining normal inventory levels is not channel stuffing. However, there is ALWAYS a one-time buildout of one's inventory levels when adding new points of sale. The 2M in channel inventory is about 5 weeks worth of iPhone inventory. Apple's typical inventory levels are 4 to 6 weeks worth. 5 weeks is normal.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    iPhone ASP = $665

Blackberry ASP = $335
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Give me a break with those numbers. Totally nuts.

There were tons of Verizon subscribers who wanted an iPhone but bought this because they couldn't have one. They'll keep them too.

Out of curiosity about this, I went across the street to a store that sells Blackberry Storms and asked them, right after I got my coffee, how many returns they've had on them. I asked an assistant manager and a sales person.

The salesperson said that it was at least half, probably more.

The assistant manager said that it was at least two thirds, and that he should know, because he was doing all the paperwork on it. I was surprised and said "already??" and he said yes already, that whether or not you liked the storm was perfectly obvious within seconds of using it. Most people, he said, hated it.

I believe him too. I had to wait for ten minutes just to ask him that question (he was the only managerial type around on a sunday morning), behind two customers who wanted to scream at him about how horrible their Storm experience has been.

Yes, it's anecdotal, but it's a gram or two of weight behind the point that pretty much everyone hates the storm.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    I guarantee at least half of those Storm owners wanted an iPhone but were stuck with Verizon.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Surely the only aspect of this competition that genuinely matters is how good either company is at generating cross over sales. Apple, which has a strong position in the consumer market, wants to enter the enterprise market and Blackberry has a dominant position in the enterprise market and wants to enter the consumer market. Success at these strategies for both companies will lead to significantly extra sales and so profit. I have to say that, as much as I am an Apple fan, I think Blackberry is better placed to do this although if the Storm is not that good then this may lead to their stumbling briefly). If I were Apple I would be tempted not to go for the Enterprise market: it's just not their scene.