Psystar claims Apple has invalid Mac OS X copyright

Comments

• Reply 21 of 140
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Wow, i am absolutely speechless. Psystar does not know how to use the reality distortion field correctly.

These attempts seem similar to the Novell/Unix/IBM/SCO drama that has been going on in the courts for years. They have had several judgments against them yet even at the edge of destruction, will still try to go down kicking and screaming.

Psystar's case has just gone from mildly-interesting to circus-theater. I really hope the judge sees what Psystar is doing (abusing the court system) and really drops the hammer hard on them. Not only should Apple win the case now, but after Psystar is bankrupt, be allowed to go whomever bankrolled this company for whatever remaining judgment owed to Apple. It's gone beyond ridiculous now.

It wasn't a bad thing to post this article as it just states what Psystar is doing next. Any person investing a few minutes of time could have found the copyright info. It is just sad that Psystar is allowed to carpet-bomb the judicial process and hope they get a judge naive enough to take them seriously.

With the way the courts are structured, they do have a chance of getting that one judge.
  • Reply 22 of 140
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    AI, get the names behind this PhonyStar sideshow. Who is financing all this? Get some clandestine reporting going on already.
  • Reply 23 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

... It is just sad that Psystar is allowed to carpet-bomb the judicial process and hope they get a judge naive enough to take them seriously.

With the way the courts are structured, they do have a chance of getting that one judge.

Yeah, that's the scary part.

Even though it's certainly obvious that Psystar has no real case, it's still *not* certain or obvious that they will lose.

On top of that, there is no way in hell that Apple will give in to them anyway, so by "winning" all Psystar gets is a moral victory. Apple will on the other hand have to:

- go after the OS86 hobbyists (nasty!)

- stop selling OS-X separate from hardware.

- add copy protection and verification (more nasty)

- raise the price of the OS (if they keep selling it)

If Psystar wins, everyone loses.

There will be no cut price hackintoshes as their supporters think.
  • Reply 24 of 140
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

Apple can countersue to cover their legal expenses once this mess is over, can't they? I'm pretty sure they can.

I think that is why they added the John Doe names to their suit. If Apple wins, Psystar will

probably declare bankruptcy and claim they have no assets to pay Apple damages. I am

hoping that the names of any John Doe Psystar backers are discovered through the lawsuit

and that they have deep pockets into which Apple can reach.
  • Reply 25 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheMadMilkman View Post

You are correct, copyright does not require an explicit registration, although registration is a useful tool in lawsuits.

last I looked, registration is required for anything over actual damages. and since Psystar apparently bought MacOSX off the shelf for each computer they sold, it would be hard to quantify any actual damages. And Apple might not be able to get their legal costs covered either without that registration in the books properly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nizy View Post

Every time I read another story about Psystar's defense it gets more and more ridiculous. First they claim antitrust against a single company, which is impossible,

wrong. one company very much can be guilty of such offenses. Microsoft, for example, was dinged on using abuse of power when they told computer makers that wanted a license to preload Windows that it had to include Internet Explorer and no other web browsers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

First things first; Apple doesn't own the copyright to all the code included with MacOS.

yes there are open source components and Apple is the first to admit this. But this isn't about whether this or that line of code can be copyrighted. it is about the full package of all of the code with the GUI etc. and that complete package was made by Apple to use on their machines within their current legal rights. Psystar didn't take open source code and make a system that sort of looks like MacOSX (as in what Microsoft did with Vista). they took the full package and hacked it to violate the EULA etc. When they added that hack they created a new software package that was basis almost entirely on MacOSX (they changed perhaps 1% of the code) including code created by Apple and most certainly the entire GUI code and design.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

Apple can countersue to cover their legal expenses once this mess is over, can't they? I'm pretty sure they can.

it is possible that should they win, paying the legal fees will be put on Psystar automatically.
  • Reply 26 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

Psystar are idiots, Mac OS X has a copyright. The copyright number is TX0006849489 submitted in 2007.

Psystar is not claiming that Apple does not have a Copyright, they're claiming that "Apple didn't use proper procedures to register the copyright for Mac OS X."!!! Whatever that means! This statement reminds me of the OJ Simpson's defense when they argued that the DNA evidence could not be used as evidence since it was not collected using the correct procedure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2

It seems to me that if Apple is tuning the OS to work on a certain set of chips that are used in their hardware (which is after all what the OS is designed for), then such a check is just the most obvious way to go about it. What's nefarious about that?

Psystar's argument here is that Mac OS X's boot process discriminates based on the hardware's manufacturer rather than the actual hardware configuration. If true this is probably their strongest argument, if they have any. Because this is like Microsoft blocking Windows to run on BootCamp although BootCamp is capable.

To summarize, Psystar is claiming: Although Apple explicitly points out that OS X must run on Apple hardware, which is anti-competitive since other hardware with similar configuration is fully capable of running OS X, Apple did not go through the correct procedures in acquiring that Copyright.

To me, all this definitely points to a corporate conspiracy. The question is who? Ballmer?
  • Reply 27 of 140
    Just gave up Psycrap, your business idea is already bad to begin with. Selling other people work without permission, you guys are already on the wrong side of the law to begin with.
  • Reply 28 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I think that is why they added the John Doe names to their suit. If Apple wins, Psystar will

probably declare bankruptcy and claim they have no assets to pay Apple damages. I am

hoping that the names of any John Doe Psystar backers are discovered through the lawsuit

and that they have deep pockets into which Apple can reach.

A company cant get away that easily. I was going to say if the company was a partnership or proprietorship, the owners will be at risk of losing ANY and ALL assets. But i guess the only intelligent thing this company has done is incorporate, but the company itsself is at risk of losing all assets and the investors wont receive anything back.
  • Reply 29 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Just because you legally publish something does not mean you own the copyright to all materials in the publication. The photographic industry would fall apart if that was true.

Dave

What are you trying to say here? That makes absolutely no sense.

A magazine pays the photographer for the rights to use an image in the magazine, no they do not own the photo, duh, but they did pay a royalty to use the photo. The photographer only owns the photo and nothing else that isnt theirs in the magazine. Only in specific circumstances, defined by contract, does the publication own the photographer's work, but all parties involved are aware of this agreement, yet the photographer is still required to receive credit for the photos.
  • Reply 30 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

... Psystar's argument here is that Mac OS X's boot process discriminates based on the hardware's manufacturer rather than the actual hardware configuration. If true this is probably their strongest argument, if they have any. Because this is like Microsoft blocking Windows to run on BootCamp although BootCamp is capable.

To summarize, Psystar is claiming: Although Apple explicitly points out that OS X must run on Apple hardware, which is anti-competitive since other hardware with similar configuration is fully capable of running OS X, Apple did not go through the correct procedures in acquiring that Copyright. ...

I appreciate your explanation and indeed, it gets me much closer to understanding what they are trying to argue, but it still makes little sense IMO.

Microsoft sells an OS separate from hardware, so "fixing" it to run only on Dell hardware but not on a competitor is definitely wrong and represents some kind of sweetheart deal. Apple on the other hand, sells an OS only for specific machines that it makes, so to have a test for "foreign" machines at start up seems rather appropriate to me.

On further thought, I think this totally explains the silly argument they are making.

It occurs to me that almost all their arguments are predicated on the idea that the OS is separate from the hardware (as in Windows land), and they just don't see it any other way. If you assume that Apple's OS-X is exactly the same as any other OS in that regard then all these comparisons make sense. All it will take is one idiot judge who doesn't realise the difference and they might even win.
  • Reply 31 of 140
    Quote:

To me, all this definitely points to a corporate conspiracy. The question is who? Ballmer?

One word: Woz!
  • Reply 32 of 140
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:

To summarize, Psystar is claiming: Although Apple explicitly points out that OS X must run on Apple hardware, which is anti-competitive since other hardware with similar configuration is fully capable of running OS X, Apple did not go through the correct procedures in acquiring that Copyright.

A licensor has the right to dictate the terms of how its software product is used (the stuff no one reads but clicks the 'I Agree' button to proceed, thereby accepting those terms). I agree it's pretty lame and sounds like either someone's desperate or is on a fishing expedition for a hole in the fence (sorry for the mixed metaphors). If it's the former, it'll be thrown out fairly quickly by a judge as frivolous. If someone wanted to test the foundations of Apple's product, I would think they'd do it in some respect with the OS kernel itself. BSD UNIX has, itself, certain conditions attached to its use, which I'm sure the Apple legal department has vetted.
  • Reply 33 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

One of these days tort reform will come to the shores of this last great hope of mankind . . . and the loser will be compelled to pay ALL legal expenses incurred by the winner. Until that comes to pass, any litigation, no matter how frivolous or ill-intended, will cost both sides astronomical amounts of money--winners as well as losers.

I hope PisStar loses its ass in this action.

Maybe instead of tort reform we should just get rid of the lawyers as a vehicle to litigation. As they are the ones that add most of the cost. Court fees are nothing compared to the theirs.

thedude.
  • Reply 34 of 140
    If someone wanted to get a court judgment that Apple didn't have a right to restrict the OS to their own hardware, they would first have to be a legitimate complainant. They could start up a small computer company, do what Psystar is doing, then throw tons of money at a defense and counter-suit. Or they can simply pay the legal bills of Psystar. I can think of at least 1 huge company with deep pockets that would benefit from this. You can bet Apple has big bucks going into a private investigations company trying to find out who this is. When Steve-O finds out, all hell will break loose.
  • Reply 35 of 140
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I don't see how what you wrote points to any kind of conspiracy.

Besides, Ballmer isn't the only blowhard to walk the face of the earth. Not only that, it does not take money to come up with silly blunders of logic like this, though it can help. I don't see why Ballmer would want to help legitimize commercialized Hackintoshes, because that would be tougher competition for his company.
  • Reply 36 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I appreciate your explanation and indeed, it gets me much closer to understanding what they are trying to argue, but it still makes little sense IMO.

Microsoft sells an OS separate from hardware, so "fixing" it to run only on Dell hardware but not on a competitor is definitely wrong and represents some kind of sweetheart deal. Apple on the other hand, sells an OS only for specific machines that it makes, so to have a test for "foreign" machines at start up seems rather appropriate to me.

On further thought, I think this totally explains the silly argument they are making.

It occurs to me that almost all their arguments are predicated on the idea that the OS is separate from the hardware (as in Windows land), and they just don't see it any other way. If you assume that Apple's OS-X is exactly the same as any other OS in that regard then all these comparisons make sense. All it will take is one idiot judge who doesn't realise the difference and they might even win.

Their answer to that would be they're buying the full retail version of OS X, and they could claim that it's not really an upgrade since since it is capable of performing a full-install. They could also further their defense by saying that, all Hackintosh does is force the installer to overlook the discriminatory part of the software which, according to Psystar, should not have been there to begin with.

It's pretty astounding that they are even attempting all this, it seems so circumstantial and flaky. They also need to be able to prove that Apple did not go through the correct procedures in acquiring the Copyright!! which is such a silly claim to begin with. Either way, I'll be interested in seeing their evidence, which I don't think will matter to the judge.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

One word: Woz!

• Reply 37 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't see how what you wrote points to any kind of conspiracy.

Besides, Ballmer isn't the only blowhard to walk the face of the earth. Not only that, it does not take money to come up with silly blunders of logic like this, though it can help. I don't see why Ballmer would want to help legitimize commercialized Hackintoshes, because that would be tougher competition for his company.

Agreed! But this case will cost lots of money which I don't think Psystar has.

The Ballmer comment was a joke, sorry!
  • Reply 38 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

The Berne Convention provides that all creative works are copyrighted automatically without any action on the part of the creator. Not even the inclusion of a copyright notice is necessary.

Formal copyright registration (if filed before the infringement) is useful for getting a court to assess statutory (high) damages against the infringer.

It's no wonder Apple suggested a third party may be behind Psystar. Who could be so stupid as them?

But as we know Apple, being part of the United States, is not bound by any international laws.

Unless it is convenient.
  • Reply 39 of 140
    I remember when this all started.....

It seems a while ago now.

But, it stunk then, of a small tech team, who had a couple of "Brother In Law" Attorneys.

Think about it.

They'll lose.

But,

They'll be

"The guys who took on Apple"...

Now, can we handle your slip and fall?

Your Divorce?

How about your next business filing? (Since we're SO experienced)...

I doubt highly, that ANYone is paying the lawyers.

This is a Pro Bono case.

And, it ONLY EXISTS for what it's getting here.

EXPOSURE>!

In reality, all it's doing, is showing what SOB's Lawyers can really be, and, what low life's American, or any other Loser's can be.

It's a sad day, when someone has to go after this Country's most agile, forethoughtful and profitable company's foundations. Sad, sad day.

Where is the ABA, when it comes to policing their own?

Nowhere to be found.

Bastards.

P
  • Reply 40 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

All of Psystar's claims *sound* good when you first hear them in the language Psystar expresses them with but they are all razor-thin technical arguments. I find it curious as this is the kind of arguments you would expect some of the best lawyers with deep knowledge of the field could make (inventive, unknown, technical etc.), yet their filings are a joke of bad grammar and poor phrasing in many respects also. It will be interesting to find out what's behind it all when it's over.

RIAA?

- Jasen.