iPhone nano knockoffs already on sale in Thailand (photos)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The part about tarring unrelated countries is a valid concern, though Japan and South Korea are the only two notable ones I can think of that protect intellectual property rights in a meaningful way. I don't know if it's about morality or a decline of it, but in the context of human civilization, there isn't a long history of the idea that people or organizations can have exclusive ownership of an idea.

Japan and South Korea are creators of IP, so they are inclined to want all IP to be protected.

If China starts creating IP which is then pirated by other countries, they might start to see

things differently. Also, if any big "western" company got so fed up with the piracy that

they stopped all manufacturing in the offending country, that might motivate those

countries to crack down. Apparently western companies have made the calculation that

the cheap labor and lack of environmental hurdles in some countries are worth whatever

losses they incur through IP theft.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

What I find funny is I talk to people everyday who are always on about how China never gets a "fair deal" in terms of being treated the same as other countries, and recent immigrants who go on about how China is now a real first world country, yet clearly there is no rule of law there at all.

How can China ever be integrated into the world economy, or sit side by side politically with the rest of the world politically and socially when there is not only no basic freedom for the people, but no law either? Why would anyone ever release any intellectual property in China if they are just going to steal it all anyway?

I hope the *real* iPhone never comes to China.

Irrespective of the legal issues there are no standards like CSA or anything over there either. A Chinese "iPhone" is almost as likely to blow up in your hand, as make a call. It's almost certainly full of toxic by-products.

The people in China have a lot of freedoms and they are getting better and better all the time. Sure there are problems, but they improving in all areas, to your disappointment. You don't have a clue of what you are saying. Hong Kong is one of the best governed cities in the world, way better than India which is still corrupted and poor despite being democratic. Just give China another 20 years of economic development, they will be even more dominant in all areas with their own worldwide brand names.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    thai cootchie is negotiable. take these items as they are.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    fake.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    I was thinking the whole nano rumor was off...but just saw this....hmmmm

http://www.iphonenano.com
  • Reply 26 of 56
    the domain seems to be registered to someone in russia....must be a redirect
  • Reply 27 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Where are all the Zune knock offs?
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Where are all the Zune knock offs?

Noone wants them

• Reply 29 of 56
    The main reason why the Greater China region of China/Taiwan/Hong Kong are so industrialized is that they have modern infrastructure. The other places like India or Thailand are politically unstable, and there is a lack of proper infrastructure like stable electricity supply, highways and railways. This probably explains why China's per capita GDP is 2.5 times that of India.

Presently, China's economic developement is like Japan's in the 1970's. So give it some time, as they will get things in order.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Apple needs to introduce more models to compete with Nokia or RIMM. Just look at how many different models they are offering for customers to choose from. The Iphone has this touch screen and they are not going to put more buttons on it, and that is the problem. Some people just like the buttons. How will Apple redesign the Iphone? It is a simple design, but they cannot make it simpler and they will not make it more complicated?
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple needs to introduce more models to compete with Nokia or RIMM. Just look at how many different models they are offering for customers to choose from. The Iphone has this touch screen and they are not going to put more buttons on it, and that is the problem. Some people just like the buttons. How will Apple redesign the Iphone? It is a simple design, but they cannot make it simpler and they will not make it more complicated?

Are you serious? LOL that's got to be one of the stupidest posts I've EVER seen here on AI
  • Reply 32 of 56
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

What I find funny is I talk to people everyday who are always on about how China never gets a "fair deal" in terms of being treated the same as other countries, and recent immigrants who go on about how China is now a real first world country, yet clearly there is no rule of law there at all.

How can China ever be integrated into the world economy, or sit side by side politically with the rest of the world politically and socially when there is not only no basic freedom for the people, but no law either? Why would anyone ever release any intellectual property in China if they are just going to steal it all anyway?

Irrespective of the legal issues there are no standards like CSA or anything over there either. A Chinese "iPhone" is almost as likely to blow up in your hand, as make a call. It's almost certainly full of toxic by-products.

How did America, UK etc become the first world powers and the so called founders of democracy when they enslaved people? Same shit dude. Oh and incase you weren't watching America isn't really a democracy. Quite similar to China really.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Looks like any shop in MBK or Fortune Town. Irony is that Thailand is getting the iPhone 3G on January 19th.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:

The "REAL" iPhone are coming out from China. No matter how you try to undermine China's mass production ability, this is the unconvenient TRUTH you have to deal with, admittedly it is designed by Apple, which is a Cupertino based US company.

So what about your little wish in which the real iPhone never comes to China?

Well, dream on, dream on.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    ss7ss7 Posts: 1member
    I was in Bangkok, Thailand, a year ago. Back then you could buy an "iPhone mini" as well as an "iPhone nano". The mini looked similar to the model shown in this article, and the nano was thinner. In fact, there were several versions, and 3G versions available.

The existence of these new knockoffs is non-news if you ask me.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ss7 View Post

I was in Bangkok, Thailand, a year ago. Back then you could buy an "iPhone mini" as well as an "iPhone nano". The mini looked similar to the model shown in this article, and the nano was thinner. In fact, there were several versions, and 3G versions available.

The existence of these new knockoffs is non-news if you ask me.

Did you publicize it back then? Some things like this depend on people reporting it, independent sites like this and other similar sites usually aren't operated by jet-setters.

As such, I'd say it's probably news to anyone that didn't go to Thailand in the last year.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    If Apple does release such a product, I bet one of these knock off companies will try to sue them for infringement or some such. Apple might even lose in whatever passes for a court in such places.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

man, their quicker at releasing these clones before Apple can create the original. hahaha Maybe they should give Apple pointers to how they do it so fast so we can get our real Apple toys quicker. hehe

What I would like to know is how do they get away doing this? I can only assume they do not hold the same copyright laws *if any* there as in the USA and other countries. that just sucks!

So many of these posts are off arguing about copyright laws, etc. Some are even poking fun at Apple about iPod knock-offs hitting the market before the real thing.

What none of these posts realize is that all of their blather is MOOT.

The knock offs don't violate copyright laws, and they didn't "beat Apple to the punch". Why? Because they are similar to the originals only at the most basic visual level (i.e. shape or color). When you turn them on, it is very clear that they are NOT iPods.

Yes, some of you will argue that even that level of similarity is enough to warrant a closer look at copyright violation. And you are probably correct. But let's make sure that people really understand what this debate is truly about.

These knock-offs don't come anywhere near the real deal. Same with iPhones and Macs. If you don't get that, then you haven't really used both the original AND the knock off. I've seen these wannabe Apple knock-offs. And they are laughable. If I were Apple, I wouldn't bother worrying about it.

Thompson
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

The knock offs don't violate copyright laws, and they didn't "beat Apple to the punch". Why? Because they are similar to the originals only at the most basic visual level (i.e. shape or color). When you turn them on, it is very clear that they are NOT iPods.

Thompson

So you think copying all visible features including the Apple logo does not constitute counterfeiting? You think these companies are not unlawfully using any of Apple's protected intellectual property? You think they are not trying to fool the uninformed into thinking they are buying an Apple product? You think these companies are not run by slime-balls and thieves? A post like yours cannot be taken seriously.

You might be right about one thing. I doubt any of it is copyright infringement in the country in question because I doubt that country has any such thing as copyright law.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    I saw this phone about a month ago at a shop in the Asian Garden Mall in Westminster, California. Anyone who tried it for more than 3 seconds would know it wasn't an Apple product.