Next-gen iMac to include new cooling module?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I know you've been here a while and you're a long time contributor to this forum etc., but this is an outrageous, stupid, off-topic troll of a post. It's not only completely off-topic, it's a pointless negative rant as well. Try to behave like an adult.

I'll try, but I can't make any promises.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

I know you've been here a while and you're a long time contributor to this forum etc., but this is an outrageous, stupid, off-topic troll of a post. It's not only completely off-topic, it's a pointless negative rant as well. Try to behave like an adult.

What's with you? The post may not be on topic (maybe it got posted in the wrong forum), but it's not out of line at all. It's a wish list.

If there's any post that's outrageous, stupid and pointlessly negative, it's yours.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Blah, blah, blah.

After reading dozens of your Apple apologist posts, you've got a lot a balls telling anyone how/what to write.

Why don't you stick to fellating Steve Jobs, and leave moderating to the mods?

• Reply 24 of 91
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Increased cooling would definitely be a god-send

• Reply 25 of 91
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

What Id really like to see is Apple combine AppleTV with the MacMini. Now you have a Mac running Mac OS X, an AppleTV, a DVR, a DVD Player, etc all in one device. Plus it makes it so you wouldn't need to go out and purchase a display as you'd just use your flat screen TV. I think it would make the $599 price point viable. Current MacMini isn't worth $599 IMO, hence its crap sales it generates.

Actually combining the Mac mini and ATV would be a bad idea. If people want the full meal deal they can re-purpose a Mini-DisplayPort mini for HTPC uses. For those that simply want the Jobsian "DVD for the internet" they need an Apple TV at $149.

I don't know who told you that the mini had crap sales because that could not be further from the truth. Let's look at the Amazon Top 10 for computers.

http://www.amazon.com/Desktops-Compu...F8&node=565098

The Mac mini is #3 and #6 in desktops following the iMacs. Apple's got a good solution here with the mini for entry level and iMac for step up computing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticker99 View Post

Please help!

I just literally bought my new imac (my first ever mac - and I love it).... I got the 2.66ghz L2 6mb cache 256mb video card, 2GB RAM for $1600...

Now i see that a new imac is coming with the new processor..... does this mean I should return it and wait?

Will I be able to install the latest OS??? Thanks, sorry I am new.

You're fine. You will be able to install multiple future OS on your computer.
  • Reply 26 of 91
    I would prefer to see the new core i7's in the new imacs.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: 27" iMac!

? It makes sense logically, falling between Apple's 24" and 30" screen sizes, and

? It would allow more room for increased cooling
  • Reply 28 of 91
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

I would prefer to see the new core i7's in the new imacs.

No way, they are too hot for the iMac form factor. I would bet they use the Lynnfield Nehalems in the iMac (in Q3-4 2009).
  • Reply 29 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That would be interesting. A heat pipe could transfer the heat to the outer shell. The entire shell could be the heat sink and that might be enough surface area to cool it. I am not sure they would go for it if it requires having external fins.

hmmm. In the summer months the aluminum shell gets too-hot-to-touch as it is.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

What's with you? The post may not be on topic (maybe it got posted in the wrong forum), but it's not out of line at all. It's a wish list.

If there's any post that's outrageous, stupid and pointlessly negative, it's yours.

I'd say both were out of line. It's one thing for a thread to drift off topic in the course of conversation, it's another thing to post off topic out of the blue.

There are plenty of wish list threads that can be found, there's no need to drop them into unrelated threads.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

It was an off-topic, completely negative rant about iPhones that added exactly zero to a discussion of possible heat sink technologies for iMacs. It was also a pretty childish post even if we were talking about iPhones, as it asks for things that are clearly not even in the mid-term future of the device and based on technologies that are only in the testing stages in some cases.

It's about the same as if we were in a forum talking about hydraulic braking systems on transit busses, and someone posts a comment about how they won't buy a new Porsche until they have jet engines and a new robot control system or something.

I've been warned on forums by moderators for a lot less, which is why it bugged me I guess. Also, if the guy was a n00b I would have just shook my head and let it go, but he isn't. People (like you) take me to task for things all the time, why shouldn't I return the favour?

Forums are supposed to be about discussion, not just posting crap so you can hear yourself talk. Even if we get mildly irritated with each other and argue a bit, that's still far more productive than just posting random irrelevant opinions/wants etc.

PS - try not to flame me back, I won't be posting anymore on this junk and neither should anyone else.
  • Reply 32 of 91
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10129536-64.html

Quote:

The Q9000 processor is listed at $348, significantly less expensive than the existing QX9300 mobile quad-core processor, which is listed at $1,038, and the Q9100, listed at $851. Both of these processors, however, have 12MB of cache memory, twice the amount of the cheaper Q9000, which integrates 6MB of cache. Generally, the more cache memory, the faster the processor.

T series processors typically have a power envelope (TDP, or thermal design power) of 35 watts, while P series chips have a 25W TDP.

Hmmm another option.
  • Reply 33 of 91
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10129536-64.html

Hmmm another option.

Nice! We can also assume it will be used in the unibody 17" MacBook pro and made optional for the 15". Here's hoping.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Blah, blah, blah.

After reading dozens of your Apple apologist posts, you've got a lot a balls telling anyone how/what to write.

Why don't you stick to fellating Steve Jobs, and leave moderating to the mods?

Couldn't agree more.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    Quote:

Actually combining the Mac mini and ATV would be a bad idea. If people want the full meal deal they can re-purpose a Mini-DisplayPort mini for HTPC uses. For those that simply want the Jobsian "DVD for the internet" they need an Apple TV at $149.

I don't know who told you that the mini had crap sales because that could not be further from the truth. Let's look at the Amazon Top 10 for computers.

http://www.amazon.com/Desktops-Compu...F8&node=565098

The Mac mini is #3 and #6 in desktops following the iMacs. Apple's got a good solution here with the mini for entry level and iMac for step up computing.

So why exactly is it a bad idea? You never gave a reason other than some crap about a Mini Display port which makes no sense to the general consumer. There would really be nothing to merging AppleTV with the MacMini. AppleTV is basically all software. The hardware is pretty much already on the MacMini.

As for MacMini sales, you can't just judge a particular computer's sales off one website. I laugh at some of these FUD articles about how Apple sales are best just because of one particular store. Yes, they did great in that store, but there are tons of other ways to sell computers. I know people who work in different Apple Stores and another who works at one in a different country and they just simply don't sell very many. Apple doesn't make crap off them at all and obviously its not really that important of a product to them because of this. Otherwise it would receive the same treatment as other Macs. I think giving more for the money, such as a small media center would be a great thing for current and potential customers. Especially since nobody STILL hasn't gotten these TV to media boxes correct. The AppleTV take 2 still isn't there. Sure its better, but its still not exactly what people want.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

It was an off-topic, completely negative rant about iPhones that added exactly zero to a discussion of possible heat sink technologies for iMacs. It was also a pretty childish post even if we were talking about iPhones, as it asks for things that are clearly not even in the mid-term future of the device and based on technologies that are only in the testing stages in some cases.

It's about the same as if we were in a forum talking about hydraulic braking systems on transit busses, and someone posts a comment about how they won't buy a new Porsche until they have jet engines and a new robot control system or something.

I've been warned on forums by moderators for a lot less, which is why it bugged me I guess. Also, if the guy was a n00b I would have just shook my head and let it go, but he isn't. People (like you) take me to task for things all the time, why shouldn't I return the favour?

Forums are supposed to be about discussion, not just posting crap so you can hear yourself talk. Even if we get mildly irritated with each other and argue a bit, that's still far more productive than just posting random irrelevant opinions/wants etc.

PS - try not to flame me back, I won't be posting anymore on this junk and neither should anyone else.

zzzzzzzzzz
  • Reply 37 of 91
    I find it very interesting that the liquid cooling systems were referred to as a "fiasco" or "disaster". I had absolutely no problems with any of the liquid cooled g5's. Now here's the thing guys, radiators work quite well and believe it or not, are quite durable. Far better then heat pipes actually. All cooling systems work much better when they have a high Delta-T, or difference in temperature, to work with, and all cooling systems work by increasing the amount of surface area available to the heat source for heat dissipation. Liquid thermal transfer is very efficient, and radiators have lots of surface area. But, there is one technology I know of that if used in conjunction with another thermal transfer system, could provide very high thermal transfer rates, and possibly if used in conjunction with a liquid cooling system, could even provide CPU die temperatures well below ambient. Thermoelectric Peltier/seebeck effect modules. Additionally, If I were an engineer, I would definitely call such a hybrid device, a cooling module, rather then a heatsink.
  • Reply 38 of 91
    Quote:

You almost had me interested in ordering AppleTV. $149 in which country's dollars? Even Apple's refurb prices start at $199 in their US web store. I want to get one, it's just a low priority.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I find it very interesting that the liquid cooling systems were referred to as a "fiasco" or "disaster". I had absolutely no problems with any of the liquid cooled g5's. Now here's the thing guys, radiators work quite well and believe it or not, are quite durable. Far better then heat pipes actually.

I've seen several people say that they've had leaking G5s, though in most cases, I hear Apple replaced them, with Mac Pros even. I don't remember anyone complaining about leaking or defective heat pipes in any system. Ideally the liquid cooling system should be fine, but the impression I got was that a lot of the ones in the G5s just failed. I don't think it was about the radiators, I think some fittings failed but I don't know for sure.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mklos View Post

So why exactly is it a bad idea? You never gave a reason other than some crap about a Mini Display port which makes no sense to the general consumer. There would really be nothing to merging AppleTV with the MacMini. AppleTV is basically all software. The hardware is pretty much already on the MacMini.

As for MacMini sales, you can't just judge a particular computer's sales off one website. I laugh at some of these FUD articles about how Apple sales are best just because of one particular store. Yes, they did great in that store, but there are tons of other ways to sell computers. I know people who work in different Apple Stores and another who works at one in a different country and they just simply don't sell very many. Apple doesn't make crap off them at all and obviously its not really that important of a product to them because of this. Otherwise it would receive the same treatment as other Macs. I think giving more for the money, such as a small media center would be a great thing for current and potential customers. Especially since nobody STILL hasn't gotten these TV to media boxes correct. The AppleTV take 2 still isn't there. Sure its better, but its still not exactly what people want.

1. Because of the realities of pricing. Consumers expect to buy DVD players for $60 at Mac mini is 10x that price as a start.

2. The Apple TV is for all intents and purposes a media extender device or STB if you will. It's reason for existence is to play back iTunes content plus sync with your photos. It really shouldn't have local storage as that just jacks the cost up. Wifi streaming and Ethernet should have sufficed.

3. Apple TV doesn't need a DVD player. DVD players are $30 and up. Normally I'm a champion of integration but adding a optical drive to the Apple TV just jacks the cost up and duplicates what people already have.

4. The Apple TV's hardware suits its limited functionality. You don't have a plethora of USB ports, HDMI and Component Outputs. It's a CE device by nature ..not a general purpose computer.

The Mac mini is a general purpose computer suited to a variety of tasks. It has a CPU and system architecture that is tailored for these tasks as well as connectivity that is suitable for computing tasks. It will never be affordable enough to become a media extender in all but the most affluent homes.

The reason why people continue to want to two to combine is because they view both as computing platforms when in fact the Apple TV need to move towards the typical CE device and become more embedded whilst the Mac mini needs to move forward with Intel procs and fast GPU. The combination of the two yields nothing that consumers want. You don't get the power savings of a embedded SoC based device and you don't get the price.

As for Amazon...EVERYONE on these boards knows what Amazon.com is. With 13 billion in annual sales and excellent public sales statistics I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more reputable source. Though you are free to try... go 'head...I'll wait.

Notes from iSuppli Apple TV tear down.

Quote:

The Apple TV is based on a customized Intel Corp. microprocessor, a venerable 1GHz Pentium M that is made using trailing-edge 90nm process technology. The use of the old and slow Intel microprocessor is a major factor keeping down the BOM cost of the Apple TV, Rassweiler noted. iSuppli estimates the cost of the microprocessor at $40, far less than Intel is charging for its more cutting-edge chips.

?If the Apple TV were based on a more current microprocessor, such as Intel?s CoreDuo or CoreSolo?as has been suggested by others?then the product?s BOM cost would likely match or exceed the retail selling price,? Rassweiler said. ?This would represent a major and unlikely strategy shift at Apple, which historically has not sold its hardware at subsidized rates.?

With the microprocessor and associated core logic, Intel accounts for the largest single bundle of dollar value of any component supplier in the Apple TV, by far. The combined estimated value of the Intel microprocessor and the northbridge and southbridge core logic chips is about $68, which is very inexpensive compared to the costs for comparable chips in current PCs.

In terms of semiconductor components, other major cost drivers include the Nvidia GeForce Go 7300 Graphics Processing Unit (GPU), which has an estimated cost of $15. Other chips are unremarkable and common to conventional PC designs.

Paying Intel $80+ dollars per Apple TV was likely Apple's only options a couple of years ago when designing the Apple TV but today they should be able to get an ARM/PowerVR/VXD SoC setup going for cheaper $$$. Drop the HDD in the lowest end model and voila! You have the ability to touch a $149.99 price point and still make money.