Apple, Google, Microsoft sued over icon previews

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BHoughton View Post

I just did this with the word "The", "the", "THE", "tHe", "thE", and "tHE".

I'm going to sue all of you who are using it in any sentence which is publicly displayed in any shape or form.

Your patent is worthless without "teh".
  • Reply 22 of 38
    The law was changed a couple of years back, so that it was easier to get a patent (you didn't have to prove no prior art etc anymore) but if it was challenged you THEN had to prove it was a valid patent.

I think McDonalds patented a ham and cheese sandwich at the time, from memory. Seriously.

"An edible item containing slices of bread on the outside and a filling such as ham and cheese within"

... it was actually much more detailed and legal sounding...

Ahh... some more sandwich patent info, not QUITE as bad as I thought:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34
  • Reply 23 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Exactly. The patent should have never been awarded.

Check it out.

I forgot all about that. I think I did that trick once. Suing Apple, Microsoft and Google really takes some 'nads. I hope they drive this troll company to the poor house.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 4-page complaint filed this month by Arizon-based Cygnus Systems, Inc charges all three companies with infringing on its March 2008 US patent No. 7,346,850, titled "System and Method for Iconic Software Environment Management."

Cygnus, which bills itself as a provider of "unique computing, networking and application needs of small to midsized businesses" in the state of Michigan, is seeking a damages in addition to an injunction prohibiting the three companies from further infringement.

I don't get why they're Arizona based and then seeming to do their primary business in Michigan.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

"The [patent] generally relates to methods of and systems for accessing one or more computer files via a graphical icon, wherein the graphical icon includes an image of a selected portion or portions of the one or more computer files," the suit says.

This has been around for decades. Every single icon on every single GUI-based computer going back to the very first icon pulls an "image" from "one or more computer files." Every single GUI interface used icons going back to the original GUIs developed by Xerox PARC done in the early 1970's. That is over 35 years of icons that do exactly what the quote indicates they patented (I have not looked at the actual patent).

From that description, there is absolutely no basis for this patent to stand on.

Stupid, silly in the extreme.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

OK, if the patent wasn't approved until this past March, then in the meantime how could anyone have infringed upon a patent that didn't exist until now. It is not officially patented until it is approved right?

That is why many patents today are actually "Patent Pending" i.e. we have filed for the patent so be warned. It can take a long time for the patent to be approved and this gives some protection in the mean time. Only a guess but I would assume that Apple have many things that would be "patent pending" themselves.

Seriously, if these guys first filed in 1998 then they may well have a good case.

If somebody made a ipod rip off and used the same icons for their device I am sure you guys would be the first to jump up and down and cry patent infringement. You cannot have it both ways, patents are there to protect people for their work. If this is legitimate then what on Earth can you have a problem with? Would you not expect the same treatment if your patent was being infringed?
  • Reply 27 of 38
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teapea View Post

i patented ":-)" last week

im now going to sue you all

where's my lawyer

mwahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa, im going to be rich!

Actually a Russian guy has already patented most popular smileys not so long ago - I think news was published a few weeks ago.

You are to slow, and think again next time you want to put smiley in your post
  • Reply 28 of 38
    I have just patented the infinite loop hahttp://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/1cool.gif
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

If somebody made a ipod rip off and used the same icons for their device I am sure you guys would be the first to jump up and down and cry patent infringement. You cannot have it both ways, patents are there to protect people for their work. If this is legitimate then what on Earth can you have a problem with? Would you not expect the same treatment if your patent was being infringed?

Unlike a lot of times on this site, I don't think this is just a case of the Apple Defense Force coming in to protect Apple at any cost.

There are two huge issues with this patent:

1) As numerous people have stated, there seems to be a large amount of prior art to invalidate this patent. When I went off to college in 1994, the Macs on campus could generate thumbnail icons of image files. That's 4 years before this patent was applied for.

2) The concept seems completely obvious. What is the point of an icon? To give the user an indication of what is in the file. What better way to let the user know what is in the file than to actually show them what is in the file.

I have to agree that I don't think GUI patents should be allowed. How screwed would the computer industry be if someone had a patent for the text box GUI element?
  • Reply 30 of 38
    lawyers need money too
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Actually a Russian guy has already patented most popular smileys not so long ago - I think news was published a few weeks ago.

You are to slow, and think again next time you want to put smiley in your post

bugger!
  • Reply 32 of 38
    ericblrericblr Posts: 172member
    Quote:

That is why many patents today are actually "Patent Pending" i.e. we have filed for the patent so be warned. It can take a long time for the patent to be approved and this gives some protection in the mean time. Only a guess but I would assume that Apple have many things that would be "patent pending" themselves.

Seriously, if these guys first filed in 1998 then they may well have a good case.

Then why wait so damn long. Microsoft and Apple have done it for years. Hell even Linux does it with both Gnome and KDE. Why not sue the maker of Ubuntu and Fedora. I have serious doubts as to the validity of the case.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

The patent was approved in March 2008.

However, it was filed on 8 June 2001 and is a continuation of U.S. patent application Ser. No. 09/097,283, filed Jun. 12, 1998 now abandoned.

The Wang Freestyle had a GUI with icons that depicted file contents back in 1988.

I am not sure, but I think the Xerox Star family had that in 1982.

These are patent trolls and deserve to be countersued into oblivion.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbanffy View Post

These are patent trolls and deserve to be countersued into oblivion.

I'm not sure these people can even be classified as patent trolls. I see a patent troll as someone who has a legitmate new idea, but then does nothing with it, they just wait for someone else to make a working viable product before crying foul and wanting lots of money. These people patented something that already existed.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not sure these people can even be classified as patent trolls. I see a patent troll as someone who has a legitmate new idea, but then does nothing with it, they just wait for someone else to make a working viable product before crying foul and wanting lots of money. These people patented something that already existed.

I don't know if there is an easy way to describe that.

What is called patent trolling don't necessarily encompass ideas that are legitimately patentable either.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:

(...)

However, there is prior art of a published software product that had at least partially implemented this capability, going back at least as far as August 1995 (Windows 95) for certain, possibly 1988 or 1982, see posts above. This prior art predates the patent's filing, which might severely limit the patent's scope or validity.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    I think we've established the fact that the infringement claim is outrageous and obviously ungrounded. :P
  • Reply 38 of 38
    BOO PATENTS!!!!! Yeah, it's nonsense. None of this makes any sense in the digital economy.

I mean just because I think about something that's been patented, does that mean I'm violating the patent?

Poo poo patents.