Outside chance of new consumer device at Macworld - analyst

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How do you type on a keyboard when you're not holding it? This would be similar, it would have a pop-out stand Murph, pop it out and place Mac touch (tablet) on a desk or table where it rests on the stand at about 17º, a good angle for typing and looking at the screen at the same time, at least if you're not typing a full novel

Just like my mockup:

(only the stand is around the back obviously)

(see Ireland post for image)

When not on your desk, but rather in your hands, you push the rear rest back into the device in the "hidden" position. Pop it out, pop it in - depending on how your using it at that moment. Example; on a doctor's desk, he'd have it out the whole time, resting on the desk.

Closed app store? Possibly.

Yeah - that's basically my point. I have trouble seeing a pop out stand that Jobs and Ives can live with. I think it needs a stand, because I foresee a lot of people using it with a wireless keyboard at times.

But you're saying type on its virtual keyboard while it's propped up a little, which sounds like it could be an ergonomic disaster. But maybe not, I hadn't thought of it that way before you said it. Leave it to Ireland... But now I can see needing two kinds of stand!

All of my conjecture is based on a device that's like a big iPod touch - maybe 6x8".
  • Reply 22 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How do you type on a keyboard when you're not holding it? This would be similar, it would have a pop-out stand Murph, pop it out and place Mac touch (tablet) on a desk or table where it rests on the stand at about 17º, a good angle for typing and looking at the screen at the same time, at least if you're not typing a full novel :

Your mock up is nice and all but way to big.

Some one posted a pic from 2001 A Space Odyssee ( however you spell it ) that closely summed up my desire. Close because something just a bit smaller would be nice. The ideais thin and as many pixels as possible. Frankly I still think of this as more of a Touch based device than a Mac. I still have trouble seeing the line up of Mac software working well on a Touch screen Mac. That and the idea that if Apple does go ARM for the coming Touch devices backward capability is not needed.

Actually I think Apple avoiding any sort of backward capability on the Touch devices is a good thing. It sparks innovation and fresh approaches to problem solving.

Quote:

When not on your desk, but rather in your hands, you push the rear rest back into the device in the "hidden" position. Pop it out, pop it in - depending on how your using it at that moment. Example; on a doctor's desk, he'd have it out the whole time, resting on the desk.

Closed app store? Possibly.

Pop in or out, it doesn't overcome the primary issues that large tablets just don't have a market. They have never caught on primarily because they focused on trying to be a replacement for a desktop or laptop. That is a big mistake but Touch as in a grown up iPod is a fresh approach.

Dave
  • Reply 23 of 25
    The "Time Capsule" thing was stupid from the beginning. It should have been created and sold as a full-featured NAS device / storage server running a cutdown OSX.. They could no doubt use the iPhone OS foundation. It would use a simple interface integrated into OSX (or a simple web application) that allows it to act as a Time Machine backup, iTunes/UPnP media streamer, AFP/SMB/SAMBA File server for home/office, etc. It could be integrated with .Mac/MobileMe or use a lightweight VPN tunnel so you can connect to it from another Mac over the internet to access files at home.

Additionally, in combination with the Airport router, Apple could create a system for easily and securely accessing the device's storage over any web browser in the world. It would work like this:

1) The storage server would run a lightweight web server (like routers and other NAS devices) and would have a web-based AJAX interface for accessing stored files.

2) The storage server would communicate with the Airport router to get the internet-facing I.P. address for the broadband connection, and to setup port forwarding for getting through the firewall/NAT.

3) Apple's web infrastructure would be involved to provide a simple starting point to get the connection setup. A user would simply log into a special Apple website, perhaps just their mobile me account. Once logged in, the Apple server would verify that the user's home IP address is reachable and then just redirect the users browser to the proper address. The browser would then be connected to the storage server over SSL (just like any regular HTTPS website) and present the user with a simple AJAX interface for browsing and download/uploading files. So in effect, the sole purpose of Apple's server involvement is just to provide an easy "front door" to the storage server web interface without requiring users to remember an IP address and port number*. This is an important point --- Apple would NOT have access to your data, nor would any of your data pass through their servers.

Heck, I should make this into a product. I wonder if MS's "Windows Home Server" and their "Live" services has something like this.. If not, I should make it and sell it... don't steal my idea!

* This is especially important for most users of residential cable/satellite/wireless broadband which usually have dynamically assigned I.P. addresses that change everytime your router is rebooted.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

The "Time machine" thing was stupid from the beginning. It should have been created and sold as a full-featured NAS device / storage server running a cutdown OSX.. They could no doubt use the iPhone OS foundation. It would use a simple interface integrated into OSX (or a simple web application) that allows it to act as a Time Machine backup, iTunes/UPnP media streamer, AFP/SMB/SAMBA File server for home/office, etc. It could be integrated with .Mac/MobileMe or use a lightweight VPN tunnel so you can connect to it from another Mac over the internet to access files at home.

Additionally, in combination with the Airport router, Apple could create a system for easily and securely accessing the device's storage over any web browser in the world. It would work like this:

1) The storage server would run a lightweight web server (like routers and other NAS devices) and would have a web-based AJAX interface for accessing stored files.

2) The storage server would communicate with the Airport router to get the internet-facing I.P. address for the broadband connection, and to setup port forwarding for getting through the firewall/NAT.

3) Apple's web infrastructure would be involved to provide a simple starting point to get the connection setup. A user would simply log into a special Apple website, perhaps just their mobile me account. Once logged in, the Apple server would verify that the user's home IP address is reachable and then just redirect the users browser to the proper address. The browser would then be connected to the storage server over SSL (just like any regular HTTPS website) and present the user with a simple AJAX interface for browsing and download/uploading files. So in effect, the sole purpose of Apple's server involvement is just to provide an easy "front door" to the storage server web interface without requiring users to remember an IP address and port number*. This is an important point --- Apple would NOT have access to your data, nor would any of your data pass through their servers.

Heck, I should make this into a product. I wonder if MS's "Windows Home Server" and their "Live" services has something like this.. If not, I should make it and sell it... don't steal my idea!

* This is especially important for most users of residential cable/satellite/wireless broadband which usually have dynamically assigned I.P. addresses that change everytime your router is rebooted.

Time Machine was not "stupid from the beginning" - it got the masses backing up. There's nothing stupid about that.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Time Machine was not "stupid from the beginning" - it got the masses backing up. There's nothing stupid about that.

Woops! I meant the "Time Capsule" device, not "Time machine" software... Time Machine is excellent!