Gadget blog juices fears over Steve Jobs' health

245678

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 157
    Here's a quote from the Gizmodo article:



    "This is why Macworld is a no-go anymore. No more Steve means no more hype. Saying they are no longer needing [Macworld] is the cover designed by the worldwide 'loyalty' department."



    The claim is being made that canceling future MacWorlds is a result of Steve's health. That's absurd. Health COULD be a possible reason for Steve dropping out this year, but there's no good reason for it to be a reason for dropping out altogether - least ways, not for announcing that fact at this time. The reason for dropping out of future MacWorlds is independent of Steve's health.



    Thus the rumor is at least partially nonsense. It's probably completely false. It's a shame it was published.
  • Reply 22 of 157
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post


    Are you for real?



    Sadly he and many others are for real, they have yet to accept current market realities. Apples stock is grossly over priced when you consider other sound opportunities. Frankly a investment in Ford has less of a downside risk than Apple right now. That is an assesment based on current mongering about the state of the economy. Personally I don't think it is as bad as the new administration implies as our current condition was obviously manipulated to set the stage for the election of a liberal government. Everyone here should be ready for the snow job, coming in 8 to 12 months, about how Obama save the economy.

    Quote:

    Anyone still holding Apple stock at this stage of the game deserves whatever they get.



    Well maybe as a long term investment ten years out it may pay off marginally. For investment in the shorter term it is a big gamble in my mind. This mostly due to investors like the one you quoted not taking in all the facts. Well if you accept that the economy is goinig into depression as fact, that you accept that there are far better investment opportunities in the market right now and that you accept as fact that Apple isn't optimizing it's product line up for the wants and desires of it's customers in the future.



    That is not to say that Apple doesn't have potential but they seem to have run past an innovation black hole of late. Unless Apple surprises us at MWSF it looks like no new Mac platforms but rather respond of old concepts like the Mini and iMac. Frankly this is sad. This doesn't even take into account the Touch devices market where there really seems to be a lack of vision as to what these devices could be. That combined with what could be called a regression in the last Touch upgrade really has me wondering if Apple hasn't lost it's groove.



    Now I'm an Apple user, both a MBP and a iPhone, so I do have a users perspective. That perspective isn't as positive as I would like, iPhone as an OS still has issues with Apple supplied software. Even the latest MacOS is still problematic, especially with certain networks. Yeah the devices are better than the competition right now but they are skating on thin ice. Plus as each day passes I believe more and more that Apple is just being bullheaded about fleshing out the missing components that iPhone should have. Apple currently walking a ridge with some sharp fall offs, a little bit more consumer dissatisfaction could bump them over the edge.



    So either way as a consumer or as an investor Apple has issues. Frankly it may be a good time for Steve to leave as both the Mac and iPod divisions need beefing up. It is almost funny hearing Apple say that one of the goals of Snow Leopard is to address stability and performance issues, stability should have been a given.







    Dave
  • Reply 23 of 157
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Steve's not gonna let the Grim Reaper take him until he's damn well ready.
  • Reply 24 of 157
    jingojingo Posts: 111member
    Look at this in another way. If it was true that Steve Jobs' health is poor to the degree of it being life-threatening, don't you think that the succession would have been sorted out LONG before now. Also that the focus would have been much more solidly shifted already onto other players at a senior level.



    No company with Apple's PR nous would let things drift in this area until suddenly Steve was not around any more. It's just crazy to think they would.
  • Reply 25 of 157
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post


    You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.



    Have you ever had contact with a hardcore Vegan or worst yet their children? If you have you would have understood the original comment. If you are a Vegan yourself you likely have blinders on with respect to your own state of health and physical preparedness.





    Dave
  • Reply 26 of 157
    jingojingo Posts: 111member
    @ wizard69: Are you really for real? If you are then you're seriously talking out of an orifice other than your mouth. Your post is so wrong in so many ways that it's not worth even starting with it...
  • Reply 27 of 157
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Is Gizmodo the website that printed the false rumour that the iPhone (original) was going to be delayed, thus sending Apple stock way down (summer of 2007)?



    Does anybody remember? (It was either them or Engadget).



    The issue of Jobs' health is something investors should consider, if it's important to them - that's one of the risks of investing. But Apple should not have to give reports on Jobs' health, unless required by law.



    If you think Apple will fall apart without Jobs, sell your stock and shut up.
  • Reply 28 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    Or Jobs could be stepping back just because he is tired of this never-ending crap about his health, and the negative effect it has on the stock price and the company as a whole.



    i was thinking the exact same thing.
  • Reply 29 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post


    Look at this in another way. If it was true that Steve Jobs' health is poor to the degree of it being life-threatening, don't you think that the succession would have been sorted out LONG before now. Also that the focus would have been much more solidly shifted already onto other players at a senior level.





    Last time I saw Steve he was on stage with two other people One being Phil. And Phil is giving the keynote just as of like December 12(ish). Perhaps the succession is already underway.



    If Apple didn't have a succession plan before Steve got sick, you can be sure they have one now.
  • Reply 30 of 157
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I know many vegans, and none of them are fat. They're all pretty healthy, and not overly skinny either.



    If you try to eat only fruit, as some people do, you will become unhealthy over time. Other than that, there really aren't problems with a well-rounded vegan diet, even one that's primarily raw. It's all in how smart you go about it.



    People see the radical eaters, and think all vegans are like that. Not true - there are a lot of quiet vegans who don't preach to anyone else, and just go about their lives.



    It's just like any religion - there are fundamentalists, and there are rational, quiet people who are happy within themselves.
  • Reply 31 of 157
    One day Steve will leave. It's going to happen. He won't be 150 and running the company.
  • Reply 32 of 157
    jingojingo Posts: 111member
    There would have been MUCH more done to shift the focus away from Steve by now if he was in a seriously bad way. Having a couple of other people share one keynote is not sufficient to qualify as focus-shifting. Do you really think that is all they would have done if they really wanted to shift the focus. You are very naive if that is your view of how PR works!
  • Reply 33 of 157
    It's a simple fact of statistics that fewer than 5% of people diagnosed with pancreatic cancer are still alive 5 years later.
  • Reply 34 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    Sadly he and many others are for real, they have yet to accept current market realities. Apples stock is grossly over priced when you consider other sound opportunities. Frankly a investment in Ford has less of a downside risk than Apple right now. That is an assesment based on current mongering about the state of the economy. Personally I don't think it is as bad as the new administration implies as our current condition was obviously manipulated ... (insert long weird insane rant here) ...



    Wow.



    Dave (if that's your name), I am seriously shocked.



    I had you pegged as a very smart and insightful guy based on your comments on other articles in this forum. You sound like a seriously insane "tin-hat brigade" member here.



    "... obviously manipulated ... election of a liberal government?" Seriously?



    Very disappointing.
  • Reply 35 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post


    It's a simple fact of statistics that fewer than 5% of people diagnosed with pancreatic cancer are still alive 5 years later.



    Yeah, that is unless you got the *other* kind of pancreatic cancer that Steve actually has where you can live a long and full life if you watch what you eat.



    The main reason I think this is a hoax is all the very low level of debate on this and other threads about it. It's as if the Gizmodo readership has been let out of the school yard for the day and are infesting otherwise good forums with their ignorant remarks.



    All that junk about Steve being a Vegan and if he ate "properly" he wouldn't have the problem are so stunningly wrong and misinformed as to what he actually has and the facts about his operation and Veganism in general it's hard to fathom.



    For the record he's *not* actually a Vegan, and the only way his health *can* be threatened is if he did for some insane reason, chose to go off his diet. It's fatty foods, hamburgers, re-meat, etc. that will actually kill him. If he ate "normal (fast) food" that would be the quickest way to the grave, not a cure.
  • Reply 36 of 157
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    That is an assesment based on current mongering about the state of the economy. Personally I don't think it is as bad as the new administration implies as our current condition was obviously manipulated to set the stage for the election of a liberal government. Everyone here should be ready for the snow job, coming in 8 to 12 months, about how Obama save the economy.



    snip



    Well if you accept that the economy is goinig into depression as fact



    Dave







    You are simply amazing, I have to say. Anyone who believes that the incredible economic mess now befalling the world is a fiction is capable of anything, like voting for a Bush to be their president - oh, you already did that three times eh? Give me a minute and I will try and think up something equally outrageous and unbelievable you might be capable of, but that one is going to be hard to top.
  • Reply 37 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    Yeah, that is unless you got the *other* kind of pancreatic cancer that Steve actually has where you can live a long and full life if you watch what you eat.



    The main reason I think this is a hoax is all the very low level of debate on this and other threads about it. It's as if the Gizmodo readership has been let out of the school yard for the day and are infesting otherwise good forums with their ignorant remarks.



    All that junk about Steve being a Vegan and if he ate "properly" he wouldn't have the problem are so stunningly wrong and misinformed as to what he actually has and the facts about his operation and Veganism in general it's hard to fathom.



    For the record he's *not* actually a Vegan, and the only way his health *can* be threatened is if he did for some insane reason, chose to go off his diet. It's fatty foods, hamburgers, re-meat, etc. that will actually kill him. If he ate "normal (fast) food" that would be the quickest way to the grave, not a cure.



    not to mention that he is also one of the wealthiest people in the world, and probably has access to some fantastic doctors. i'm sure those others in that 5 percent don't have that.



    ...and like he said, steve (as far as i know) isn't vegan. i know this because i am pescitarian, which is what he is as well.
  • Reply 38 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post


    There would have been MUCH more done to shift the focus away from Steve by now if he was in a seriously bad way. Having a couple of other people share one keynote is not sufficient to qualify as focus-shifting. Do you really think that is all they would have done if they really wanted to shift the focus. You are very naive if that is your view of how PR works!



    Nobody here knows for a fact what is going behind the scenes. It is not uncommon for a company to keep power-shifts under wraps even from it's own employees.



    I'm UN-naive enough to know that Apple's brand of PR involves being very quite when it doesn't want to talk about things and keeping things under a veil of secrecy. Here's hoping that Steve is fine and this rumor is false.
  • Reply 39 of 157
    irelandireland Posts: 17,793member
    Steve's fine, myself and him went on a boozer last night. Ah the jokes, the shots, the women - good times!
  • Reply 40 of 157
    Publishing rumors like these are the reasons that blogs will never be taken seriously as journalism. Gizmodo is only harming legitimate bloggers in its quest for more clicks and viewers.



    How bad does the economy have to get before Gizmodo publishes a "rumor" that Jobs is dead just to get a few more page views?



    The people running that joint should be ashamed of themselves.
Sign In or Register to comment.