New shuffle, cheaper iPhone and MacBooks seen in 2009

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

What we need is a Verizon based iPhone 3G. You want to see iPhone sales skyrocket...there ya go! I don't mind AT&T, but its service is nothing compared to what Verizon offers, especially its 3G network.

I know it won't happen...but one could only hope!

I agree that Apple needs to lower its prices across the board. Enough with this make 40% profit (or whatever it is) off every product sold crap. These are hard times and I think it would be nice if Apple gave its customers a break. Its not like Apple is struggling for money these days, nor will it be in 2009 or 2010.

What a load of BS. If Verizon had the iPhone they would make Apple disable all the features so they can charge you extra to use them. Just like how they disabled Bluetooth and charged customers to unlock the feature that was already part of the phone. Verizon can suck it.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

You do NOT have to buy ringtones from Apple.

You can make them yourself using Apple provided software - GarageBand, it even transfers them automatically to iTunes for you. You can make ringtones out of any unprotected music files that you have on your computer, even from your own CDs.

Garageband is part of the iLife software pack and retails on Apple for $79.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=MjE0NTM2OQ

You can buy a lot of ringtones for $79.

I'm not paying $79 to convert music to ringtones I've already purchased on iTunes.

It's a complete rip off. You've already purchased the song and then you have to purchase it again if you want to use it as a ringtone.

Sounds like a racket to me. But then again I've always found ringtones from songs to be sophomoric. Maybe if I was in my teens it would be a different story.

Apples stock ringtones are terrible and the only one I've personally found to be professional is the standard old fashion telephone.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Garageband is part of the iLife software pack and retails on Apple for $79.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=MjE0NTM2OQ

You can buy a lot of ringtones for $79.

I'm not paying $79 to convert music to ringtones I've already purchased on iTunes.

It's a complete rip off. You've already purchased the song and then you have to purchase it again if you want to use it as a ringtone.

Sounds like a racket to me. But then again I've always found ringtones from songs to be sophomoric. Maybe if I was in my teens it would be a different story.

Apples stock ringtones are terrible and the only one I've personally found to be professional is the standard old fashion telephone.

if you have to buy it... but most mac users who have an iPhone have an updated mac enugh they already have a version of garage band that works fine...

actualy if you know what your doing.... I can easily make ring tones for my iPhone of even DRMed music without paying a penny, and it takes hardly any time at all... all you need is Soundflower (free) and Garageband (most mac users have) .... play it in itunes, out to soundflower, as garageband record from soundflower, then edit how you want... make it an m4p, then change the name to m4r and drag and drop into itunes... if you want all free with less cool options and effects, you can use something like audacity to record, then you just have to convert the file type over right... might sound kinda complicated, but only takes a couple mins to make one after you see how.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

if you have to buy it... but most mac users who have an iPhone have an updated mac enugh they already have a version of garage band that works fine...

actualy if you know what your doing.... I can easily make ring tones for my iPhone of even DRMed music without paying a penny, and it takes hardly any time at all... all you need is Soundflower (free) and Garageband (most mac users have) .... play it in itunes, out to soundflower, as garageband record from soundflower, then edit how you want... make it an m4p, then change the name to m4r and drag and drop into itunes... if you want all free with less cool options and effects, you can use something like audacity to record, then you just have to convert the file type over right... might sound kinda complicated, but only takes a couple mins to make one after you see how.

You know that you can drag music (even protected ones) from GarageBand 08 media browser to create new track, do you? This is all what you need to do. Click the Loop button next to the fast forward button and using the cycle region at the top to select the part of the song you want to create a ringtone from. When you are done go to Share -> Send Ringtone to iTunes. That's all. No need for third party software.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You know that you can drag music (even protected ones) from GarageBand 08 media browser to create new track, do you? This is all what you need to do. Click the Loop button next to the fast forward button and using the cycle region at the top to select the part of the song you want to create a ringtone from. When you are done go to Share -> Send Ringtone to iTunes. That's all. No need for third party software.

not totally sure what that means... Soundflower just lets you change inputs and outputs where they are directed at... so you can play something in one program (iTunes) and record whats playing in another program, cuz one output is going to the others input. I don't have Garageband 08, so if it does DRMed stuff, that's cool... the version I have media browser wont show or use any DRMed songs, the only way i can get DRMed music over is to stream it over from iTunes to get rid of the DRM... or could possibly use other hacks to strip the DRM, but i only do it for ring tones, so not worth messing with that type of junk.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Improve the sound quality on the shuffle back to what it was on the 1st Gen.

That is all that is needed.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

for a smart phone it would be $34.99, plus $29.99 for 300 minutes (compared to the 450 minutes you get from ATT with rollover for the unused ones) and then another 6.99 to get the unlimited mobile to mobile ATT includes.

so lets do some math:

ATT: 450 anytime, unlimited nights and weekends and unlimited mobile to mobile + unlimited data/email + unlimited SMS=$39.99+$30.00+$20.00=89.99 + taxes

to get the same from t-mobile: 300 anytime, unlimited nights and weekends + unlimited mobile to mobile + 150 extra used minutes + unlimited data and text = $29.99 + $6.99 + 150 x $0.40 + $34.99 = $131.97 + taxes.

I'm glad someone did this. I get very tired of people who complain about the cost of the iphone plan and compare it to the data plan they got with their RAZR phone 4 years ago.