Digital file management firm points to 1TB Mac Mini refresh

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A press release from a third party seems to indicate that Apple will refresh its Mac Mini line tomorrow with hard drive options as large as 1 terabyte.

SeeFile Software announced a new version of its easy digital media asset management system in a press release at Macworld.** Customers can buy the SeeFile server software together with a new Mac mini directly from SeeFile, according to the firm.

"Complete bundled server systems including a Mac mini server with 1 terabyte of storage are available," the release says.* Since Mac minis are presently only available with up to 160 gigabyte hard drives, the announcement is fueling speculation of a Mac mini product announcement at tomorrow's Macworld keynote.

In a report published in October, AppleInsider cited insiders*who said the new Mac minis would likely offer options for multiple hard drives, more RAM, and the new Mini DisplayPort. *Other rumored changes to the Mac mini are expected to include a NVIDIA chipset, a mini DVI port to supplement the Mini DisplayPort, a FireWire 800 port, and a fifth USB port.

The Mac mini was last refreshed in August 2007. Of course, there's also the possibility that SeeFile's release pertains to an after market solution by which the firm is modifying Mac minis themselves.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    1 TB HDs are around $100 these days. let's start to tip how much the apple surcharge will be. my bet would be $300.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Unless it is true they are offering multiple 2.5" drives... there are 500gb 2.5" drives now. 2 would make 1tb.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

1 TB HDs are around $100 these days. let's start to tip how much the apple surcharge will be. my bet would be $300.

With a 1TB hard drive, can that possibly mean that they are switching to a 3.5in drive? Finally? That would be a nice thing to see.

If not, then does that mean we have two 500gb laptop drives under a RAID array?

And yes, we'll pay a pretty price for our Terabyte! If I were a customer who didn't care about warranty, I'd purchase one without the TB drive and install one later.

"Can I offer you 512killobytes for only one kilodollar?"
  • Reply 4 of 59
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Unless it is true they are offering multiple 2.5" drives... there are 500gb 2.5" drives now. 2 would make 1tb.

Nope. This rings in a new case volume to allow for a standard 3.5" drive.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    Cannot wait!

I have been waiting ages for this bad boy to get redesigned. It's a safe bet that the mac mini will mirror the new macbook specification - which is apparently fantastic!!!!

My only hope is it will be user upgradeable without the need for a butchering set of putty knifes and a sober, steady hand!
  • Reply 6 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Well that was the rumor, an option to replace the optical drive with a second hard drive. 500x2=1000
  • Reply 7 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    meh..
  • Reply 8 of 59
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Is the picture in the AI article from the Press Release?

(Edit - to answer my own question: It appears not - so we're still open to casing changes)
  • Reply 9 of 59
    I think this is completely false. I really don't think Apple would put a 1TB Hard-drive in its cheapest machine first. I think that will be the last machine to receive such an upgrade.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Call me a continued skeptic on the replacing the optical drive with a second 2.5" hard drive rumors. They just aren't even the same size. Sure, you could have an adaptor to fit it in, but it sounds like a pain in the rear. Some people would want to DIY, so Apple would have to sell the adaptor, the cables inside would have to reach, etc.

I also just don't see Jobs willing to sell a Mac with a CD/DVD drive slot that opens to where a hard drive is installed. He's far to obsessed with that kind of stuff. So, unless Apple plans to sell two different cases, I don't see it happening.

Here's to hoping it takes a 3.5" drive.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

Is the picture in the AI article from the Press Release?

(Edit - to answer my own question: It appears not - so we're still open to casing changes)

What picture? I want to see the picture. Pretty please?
  • Reply 12 of 59
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:

$100???? Where???? I really need one right now for backup....where?
  • Reply 13 of 59
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Is this the press release?

http://www.seefile.com/news.html

I don't see anywhere in there that one should infer it's a 1TB internal drive.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I just ordered a 1TB Samsung drive from NewEgg for $99. I think Seagate and Western Digitals were also available within $10.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

here ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20and%20higher
  • Reply 16 of 59
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I don't think Apple would put a 3.5" hard drive in a Mini because of heat dissipation issues.
  • Reply 17 of 59
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Aren't the 1TB drives used considered "Server-class" vs. the "Consumer-class"?

We've been purchasing 1TB drives for our servers and the price differences between the two types can be up to a couple hundred dollars. The differentiation between the two is that the server-class models have a higher MTBF rating and more-importantly, include additional anti-vibration technology so that the drive doesn't shake around which would cause a failure. For servers where drives are stacked right against each other, the vibration alone makes a big difference.

Apple does charge more per unit (like the RAM) but before they are crucified by the folks here, best to know what kind of drives they will be putting in. Lots of people use them for media centers where the drives are always running (hotter) and could take more of a beating than if it were just used as a desktop computer.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Nope. This rings in a new case volume to allow for a standard 3.5" drive.

Then why wouldn't they offer 1.5TB?
  • Reply 19 of 59
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    It's really starting to sound like rumors for two different products are getting confused, one for the new Mac mini and one for the Home Media Server.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Call me a continued skeptic on the replacing the optical drive with a second 2.5" hard drive rumors. They just aren't even the same size. Sure, you could have an adaptor to fit it in, but it sounds like a pain in the rear. Some people would want to DIY, so Apple would have to sell the adaptor, the cables inside would have to reach, etc.

I also just don't see Jobs willing to sell a Mac with a CD/DVD drive slot that opens to where a hard drive is installed. He's far to obsessed with that kind of stuff. So, unless Apple plans to sell two different cases, I don't see it happening.

Well, the thicknesses of both kinds of drives are the same, the connectors are different. I even have a Compaq notebook that had a Multibay where you could insert a hard drive or battery in place of the optical drive. I've toyed with the idea of getting an MCE Optibay, but it's a bit of a luxury and I still do use the optical drive on the go.

Quote:

Also, Best Buy has Seagate 1TB drives on sale for $109 too, if you can't wait for shipping. The cost of 1TB drives really dropped in the past couple months.