Apple said with deals for all DRM-free iTunes, 3G downloads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

This is not good, AT&T 3G network sucks already imagine how it's going to be when everyone starts downloading Music, O well, thank god my phone is on WiFi 90% of the time

If we remember a few months back AT&T said they are going to be increasing their 3G speed to up to 20 MBPS soon. That they have been working on the infrastructure. So lets hope this holds true and maybe it won't be a problem. Plus those of us with Jailbroken iPhones can finally game with the phones internet rather than just browse and chat. 3G is still too slow for Call of Duty to be any good online lol.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This doesn't bother me at all. I've gone from downloading song to downloading apps. Becoming a developer is like the new gold rush. Becoming a musician is a dead end.

I've read a lot of silly things you have written, but think you've out-dumbed yourself with this comment.

You are actually suggesting that musicianship is a "dead end" now because of profit margins? All musicians should just give it up now and become software developers??? Forget about music everybody, it's "over," cause there is no money in it. Of course no one could possibly have any other reason for becoming a musician than money.

• Reply 23 of 63
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

If we remember a few months back AT&T said they are going to be increasing their 3G speed to up to 20 MBPS soon. That they have been working on the infrastructure. So lets hope this holds true and maybe it won't be a problem. Plus those of us with Jailbroken iPhones can finally game with the phones internet rather than just browse and chat. 3G is still too slow for Call of Duty to be any good online lol.

It's bandwidth hogs like you wasting valuable resources trying to do things that are not even possible anyway, that are the problem though. If everyone was similarly uncaring and selfish then no one would even be able to make a call.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heyjp View Post

Groan.

All new songs will jump to $1.39 and all new albums will go to $13.99 for the first 3-4 months after release. At least.

Unless you buy a lot of old music, you'll either have to wait 3 months after an album is released or you'll see an effective 40% increase in the price of buying music.

This sucks.

I like the media Executive Sandy Pearlman's idea of all songs being 10 cents and albums for $1.00. Then nobody would buy individual songs, but buy entire albums. And BUNCHES of them.

Jim

Album prices won't increase, just (hit) single prices will increase.. Say $1.29 if you just buy "the single," or $9.99 if you buy the whole album.. The labels aren't trying to discourage digital album sales, they are trying to discourage the ability for the consumer to buy just the "hit song."
  • Reply 25 of 63
    I'll get excited when I can spend my iTunes gift cards on lossless audio files.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    C'mon people! You complain that DRM is oppressive which according to you, encourages piracy. Now DRM is removed and now you complain about it being more expensive which you'll probably still continue to pirate music. Either way, the artists will get screwed but not necessarily by the studios this time around.

All the free stuff out on the Internet just makes you feel some kind of entitlement that everything should be free. You're given an inch and then you demand a mile.

Just buy the CD, rip-it and lock yourself back in the basement. The world will be a better place for the non-whiners.

I applaud this move. The market will dictate the pricing. I think a majority of music will be below the 99-cent price so it will offset the increases with the gotta-have-that-track-right-now music.

</rant>
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

C'mon people! You complain that DRM is oppressive which according to you, encourages piracy. Now DRM is removed and now you complain about it being more expensive which you'll probably still continue to pirate music. Either way, the artists will get screwed but not necessarily by the studios this time around.

All the free stuff out on the Internet just makes you feel some kind of entitlement that everything should be free. You're given an inch and then you demand a mile.

Just buy the CD, rip-it and lock yourself back in the basement. The world will be a better place for the non-whiners.

I applaud this move. The market will dictate the pricing. I think a majority of music will be below the 99-cent price so it will offset the increases with the gotta-have-that-track-right-now music.

</rant>

Mmmhmm. $.79 for normal tracks, $1.19 for latest tracks.

For albums, I would expect new albums to be $2 or $3 more than usual for the first 2 or 3 weeks after release.

@ Daniel0418: Why on earth are you trying to play CoD on an iPhone? mobile networks are not designed to support multiplayer gaming. Wifi maybe, depending on the connection speed. Not to mention that the controls would be crazy. (I'll keep a conventional keyboard/mouse for gaming, thanks)
  • Reply 28 of 63
    In any field, no one can make everyone happy. We don't have firm prices from this rumor, so it could be that they charge $1.09 for hit songs. iTunes DRM never bothered me because I only use an iPod/iPhone and don't intend to use any other program or player for music. There are going to be people who download legally and download illegally. That's the way it is. The big four music labels can suck a big fat one in the end. Same goes for the MAFIIAA.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

</rant>

Many people on this board believe that DRM is oppressive, as it is another case of the studios trying to dictate their terms to us with electronic shackles.

Furthermore (with respect), this 'the market will dictate the pricing' crap went out the window years ago. Please explain to me how the cost of CD production has gone down over the years, but the relative price per CD has shot up. We are not talking about a finite resource here like oil.

The vast majority of my artist mates scrape by while the Music Execs live the champagne lifestyle. Big Music own the market and any sort of fair deal for the average consumer gets stomped on, hence the backlash with torrents.

I will continue to use the iTunes store, but I guess I will have to search harder for cheaper tracks. Which sucks.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So basically if you like real music you'll save money.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    ^^

Yep!
  • Reply 32 of 63
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I wonder why they aren't making such attempts to remove DRM from the movies and TV shows. If DRM is bad then it's bad on all purchases. I bought some TV shows off itunes and I can't even play them on my desktop without a Quicktime upgrade. Then I have to authorize and deauthorize machines. I would buy more stuff from itunes but there's just no point if that's the hassle I have to go through.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    This is bad.

Remember people

1) Audio CD @ 1 CD = 80min of audio + case + album art + lyrics etc + shipping and the rest

2) ACC/MP3 CD @ 1 CD = 10hrs of audio + a sever + bandwidth

On quality alone we are being ripped off nearly 10 times.

In OZ its 1) $25 vs 2) $19. That's not $2.50 for a 10th the data, let alone reduced costs of production and shipping, let alone NO lyrics, NO art and NO ownership.

Would you willingly pay a few dollars less for a book if it only had 1 in 10 pages, no cover and you had no right to transfer ownership. No you wouldn't buy it all.

The music industry cry baby tactics are a Con as we all happily get converted over to crap quality at higher prices (relative to quality)

In such conditions it is appropriate to "rip" 9 albums for every one you buy as a digital download just to balance the lie.

NOW it just got worse. Charge us more for the same less. CRAP
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I wonder why they aren't making such attempts to remove DRM from the movies and TV shows. If DRM is bad then it's bad on all purchases. I bought some TV shows off itunes and I can't even play them on my desktop without a Quicktime upgrade. Then I have to authorize and deauthorize machines. I would buy more stuff from itunes but there's just no point if that's the hassle I have to go through.

That's gonna be hard. It seems that TV studios do not care a bit about viewer/customer satisfaction. Or quality, for that matter. Otherwise they wouldn't cancel Emmy-winning shows. (I'm still angry about Pushing Daisies being canceled.)
  • Reply 35 of 63
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Wifi was switched off in the first 15 seconds after iPhone had come into my hands. Still have no any vaguest idea of when and how might it be useful on the go. The only place where I saw 3G (Orange) disappear was in the heart of the national park, everywhere else it is with me. So I'd appreciate the decision in that part.

The easiness of Apple Store kills the intention to pirate itself imho. It does not make big difference 1.19 or .79. For those money I will not put any efforts to search in do-not-know-where and to pirate music instead of clicking 2 buttons...

Tougher problem is I am not musical fashion victim and do not even try to catch everything new and hot... On the contrary, the store does not offer lot of old lovely things... Yet, this is not the reason for stealing...
  • Reply 36 of 63
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I hope Apple keeps resisting so that I can keep buying albums on Amazon UK for £3 a pop.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

I hope Apple hasn't given in on variable pricing, because you can bet the average price of songs will go up. Anything popular (both new and old hits) will be significantly more than $1. Only old songs that have very few takers will be priced under $1.

And I'm sure pricing on Amazon will mysteriously match Apple's pricing the next day.

The only 'winners' for this is the big music cartel. Everybody else (namely Artists and Customers) lose.

You do realize that Apple has had a limited form of variable pricing for at least 2 years now?
  • Reply 38 of 63
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Is this what has Andy all in a lather? Only this? He needs his sense of excitement meter tweaked a bit then. Yawn.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    This is absolutely the best news! Now programs like Simplify Media can work without a hitch and I can share my music with my friends and family.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asgiov View Post

This is absolutely the best news! Now programs like Simplify Media can work without a hitch and I can share my music with my friends and family.

Huh?..