Who would buy the rumored 28" iMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So, as it is described by the rumors, how interested are you in the 28" iMac ... I am tremendously interested!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'd be interested

28" isn't all that big and along with the right accessories could be a nice bedroom entertainment setup with TV/iTunes access and more.

I don't think a lot of people really give a rip about a 30" LCD's high resolution but they love the expanse more than anything.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    For me, the 28" is not even the main feature. The main feature is that it's an iMac packing the brand new Nehalem chip(s).
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Too large for me. I think large displays are fine for Desktops, but 28" is simply too large. 24" about hits the spot.

Not to mention, it might start looking ridiculous with the current iMac design; remember how big and top-heavy the 20" iMac G4 looked?

In any case, I'm fine with my 15" MBP.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    28" iMac?

I could only see them making this if it was like a Mac Pro in this size screen. And even going one step further and calling it iMac Pro. Other than that I just don't see this happening.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

Not to mention, it might start looking ridiculous with the current iMac design;

In the end probably not; more space could give Apple a chance to re-arrange the internals of the machine so that the chin is reduced to the minimum possible.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Other than that I just don't see this happening.

I don't see this happening either. But if it finally happens, then I may consider it but not before its second iteration.

On the other hand, the increase in the number of pixels means an increase in the chance to get some bad ones. Of course this concerns every display but the iMac is an AIO, which is different.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    I don't know of anyone that manufactures a 28" LCD panel other than hanspree and viewsonic. Both of those units are "TN" panels and I highly doubt Apple would use a TN based LCD panel for their new flagship iMac.

The current 20" iMac is a TN panel but the 24" is an IPS panel. Am I mistaken here? Is there an IPS or PVA 28" panel out there? I know Dell and Samsung have 27" PVA panels.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

28" iMac?

I could only see them making this if it was like a Mac Pro in this size screen. And even going one step further and calling it iMac Pro. Other than that I just don't see this happening.

You surprise me; this is probably as close the the Apple TV you talk about you'll see this year.

---

I don't think 28" is accurate, perhaps 30" instead. The number 28 probably identifies who leaked the rumour. 28" panels seem to be only 1920x1200 at the moment.

As someone who uses a 24" iMac as our main TV this defintely would appeal and could tempt and early upgrade.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    This would be the ultimate All In One for bedrooms or small appartments, but it would need video IN!

With video-in, you could hook up your tivo, xbox, etc and use that amazing screen for something else than just OSX. Imagein the video-in stream running inside a window in OSX, acting as just another application, omg :drool:
  • Reply 10 of 36
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    IMO, too big for a computer (at least for non-professionals) and too small for a TV.

If Apple are moving in this direction make a bolder move and make a 40" iMac. That's a decent size TV.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    It's not that I think the screen is too big, I would love a 28" screen. It's not that I don't like the new technology, the Core i7, the latest and greatest graphics chips. I'm just worried that it will be priced so way out of my budget.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Not that I believe it is remotely true, but I would gladly take one. For me, a bigger screen is always better.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I think for me it would depend on the screen resolution and whether it was glossy. Oh, and it woud have to have the full 16.7m gamut and be LED backlit.

Sitting a few feet away from a glossy 28" panel is going to get annoying really quickly!

But assuming it's got some kind of anti-reflective coating, or it's matte, having a 28" screen without the need for a Mac Pro, is kind of interesting!
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Store is down so some new goodies are on the way.

I thought that without his highness giving the keynote address that MW would be pretty lame this year but now I don't know. There are some pretty interesting rumors this year.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    I voted no simply because I still can't buy into the "all in one" nature of the iMac.... so it's nothing against a 28 in particular.

I find it difficult to find a display that I'm really happy with, and once my eyes get used to it... I like to keep it for many computer iterations. I simply can't see replacing the whole thing simply because I need a couple more processor cores or a faster GPU.

I'd much prefer a high performance mini + ACD.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

IMO, too big for a computer (at least for non-professionals) and too small for a TV.

Who says pros wouldn't use it? Any pro that makes do with a laptop is certainly capable of using ANY iMac, color depth problems aside. This one would be using the desktop chipsets, too, which are presumably workable due to the larger available area for heat dissipation. So, this 28" iMac is really the mac for all the people who whine about the price of the Mac Pro ? or the people who don't whine and merely bought the single-CPU Mac Pro with an ACD. Who changes PCI cards anymore? Who buys PCI cards anymore? Almost no one. With this model of iMac, Apple can safely ditch the single-CPU configuration on the next Mac Pro.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Who says pros wouldn't use it?

That's why I said "at least for non-professionals". This mythical machine could hold a lot of appeal for pro users if the screen is of good quality.

But for consumers I think its probably not big enough to work as a home entertainment set and too big as a computer work station. For instance, in my house we have a desk top that sits at a desk in our kitchen. We can't even get a 24" iMac in that spot. I would like to get a 20" iMac or a mini and a 20" ( or maybe a 22" ) display. Kitchens are common areas where computers are placed. I'm not sure that a 28" imac would fit in the kitchens of many homes nowadays.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    If it's not obscenely expensive I'd probably go for it.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:

But for consumers I think its probably not big enough to work as a home entertainment set and too big as a computer work station.

There are of course exceptions to the rule. If I would buy such a machine it would be mostly for my wife (when she works from home - and she is not a Pro in the sense often supposed in this forum) and my daughter (for videos).

Quote:

Kitchens are common areas where computers are placed.

Kitchens? Common areas for computers? In which universe?
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Kitchens? Common areas for computers? In which universe?

I built a house about five years ago.

Most home plans I looked at had a desk in the kitchen. Is it that big of a stretch to put a computer at the desk?