No new Mac Mini or iMac

Comments

• Reply 41 of 240
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Listen guys, I'm disappointed as anybody that the last MWSF turned out to be a Software Show.

(except for that thing with the permanent battery.)

But there is a clear bright side.

#1 We got a bundled OS + iApps deal, which people here have been asking for forever.

#2 Matte screens are back.

#3 DRM in Music is gone. (DRM in Blu-Ray must go next, or it should die. )

#4 iMovie has been fixed and is now usable again.

#4 We have a timeline for new Macs. iLife will ship to retailers at the end of the month. Apple is likely holding back new releases until iLife '09 can be preloaded. This means the first new machines may be ready in as little two weeks or so.
  • Reply 42 of 240
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

. This means the first new machines may be ready in as little two weeks or so.

In the past it seems like Apple will wait about a month before releasing a new product.

They like to let the newly released product have the limelight all to itself.

Maybe this time will be different. Maybe not.
  • Reply 43 of 240
    I'm disappointed in no new mini update, but really, the two I have, are, as of this minute, still working..

So no biggie.

at SOME point this year there WILL be an update.

I might spring for a macbook or a quad iMac in the mean time though, we will see.
  • Reply 44 of 240
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Since the Mini was last "updated"? Isn't is close to 2 years now? I am surprised Intel even makes those hopelessly out of date CPU's anymore. I am also surprised they can find combo drives anymore since every computer now includes DVD writers.

The Mini has so much potential. WTF is taking Apple so damn long? People are right to be disappointed. Apple seems no faster at updating their computers now than they were with Power PC, maybe even slower. Other companies have already been selling the Core i7 in models for a while now.

Those core i7 models aren't mobile cpu's as far as I am aware of.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Didn't we say the whiners would come out of the wood work after the keynote? The only time of year they come out.

They are out all year round actually.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BostonMJH0712 View Post

This is why Apple is leaving Macworld, they are not ready to announce new products that have been rumored to be introduced at the keynote. So when the keynote is given and no new Mac Mini or iMac everyone waiting for them is angry. If Phil announced the today shipping in February people would still be mad.

So in a month or so apple will have a special event where they will announce updated Mac Mini, iMac and maybe the Mac Pro. Then later in the spring they will have a iPhone special event. I sure in the future many of Apple applications will be introduced at WWDC.

With that said my wait for a new iMac better be worth it.

I wouldn't say that's the only reason, but it is a valid one. They shouldn't feel pressurized to announce new products at the same event every year. I also feel that Apple should focus on CES instead.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

The Mini doesn't need to be spectacular, it just needs an update. Apparently they're not able to do that in under 2 years.

No it needs a complete overhaul. Not necessarily the case, but it needs a non-intel GPU, new fsb / chipset, more ram expandibility, superdrive across the line, and faster CPUs. A new case would be nice but not required. It shouldn't be that hard to change your ram!
  • Reply 45 of 240
    Quote:

Listen guys, I'm disappointed as anybody that the last MWSF turned out to be a Software Show.

(except for that thing with the permanent battery.)

But there is a clear bright side.

#1 We got a bundled OS + iApps deal, which people here have been asking for forever.

#2 Matte screens are back.

#3 DRM in Music is gone. (DRM in Blu-Ray must go next, or it should die. )

#4 iMovie has been fixed and is now usable again.

#4 We have a timeline for new Macs. iLife will ship to retailers at the end of the month. Apple is likely holding back new releases until iLife '09 can be preloaded. This means the first new machines may be ready in as little two weeks or so.

+1 on the matte screens. I was literally jumping up and down when I heard that. That is my only bitch about the new macbook pros. +1 on non-DRM too. Maybe i'll actually be inclined to buy from them now. Probably not though, as I like the highest quality mp3 possible. I usually buy cds and conver the songs to apple lossless.
  • Reply 46 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Those core i7 models aren't mobile cpu's as far as I am aware of.

Nope. We're not going to see Core i7, or any Nehalem derivatives, in the iMac until Intel goes to 32nm in 2010.
  • Reply 47 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Nope. We're not going to see Core i7, or any Nehalem derivatives, in the iMac until Intel goes to 32nm in 2010.

Why is that? If it's low power / low heat enough why wouldn't they upgrade to nehalem as soon as possible? Or are you saying there won't be any mobile core i7's until 2010?
  • Reply 48 of 240
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

In the past it seems like Apple will wait about a month before releasing a new product.

They like to let the newly released product have the limelight all to itself.

True, but usually they release a mainstream product at MacWorld. A $3000. laptop isn't exactly mainstream.

I can't see Apple holding back iMac, Mini or Pro updates in favour of the 17" MBP.
  • Reply 49 of 240
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

True, but usually they release a mainstream product at MacWorld. A $3000. laptop isn't exactly mainstream.

I can't see Apple holding back iMac, Mini or Pro updates in favour of the 17" MBP.

I couldn't see them waiting two years to update the mini.
  • Reply 50 of 240
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Ugghhh, I have cash waiting for a new iMac, but I'm not buying until they upgrade. I was really hoping to spend some money today.
  • Reply 51 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I'm disappointed in no new mini update, but really, the two I have, are, as of this minute, still working...

As is mine except for ONE little thing... "Spore" cannot be played on GMA950. My kids love the game, and I've got to let them play on the adults iMac, because it won't run on the kids' Mini.

I'd have gotten a new Mini today if it had been bumped to 9400M !!! (I can only assume when that upgrade finally comes it'll include a faster C2D as well.)
  • Reply 52 of 240
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

The question is, will apple continue this deal when Snow Leopard is released? I have serious doubts.
  • Reply 53 of 240
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

The question is, will apple continue this deal when Snow Leopard is released? I have serious doubts.

I don't see why not. Seems like a long term thing to me.
  • Reply 54 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Why is that? If it's low power / low heat enough why wouldn't they upgrade to nehalem as soon as possible? Or are you saying there won't be any mobile core i7's until 2010?

It's not low power/low heat enough. That's the problem. And Intel keeps pushing the mobile version back again and again- first it was Q2, then it was Q3, now it's Q4 09. Which, conveniently, is also when they say they'll start transitioning to 32nm.

Middle of this year Intel will start selling a cheaper "mainstream" desktop Nehalem (Core i5 is what it's rumored to be called), which will be a new stepping that will surely run cooler. We'll have to see about that.

Or, yes, that nutty rumor about a 28" iMac could be true. Apple could probably engineer such a monster to hold a hotter processor.
  • Reply 55 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

It's not low power/low heat enough. That's the problem. And Intel keeps pushing the mobile version back again and again- first it was Q2, then it was Q3, now it's Q4 09. Which, conveniently, is also when they say they'll start transitioning to 32nm.

Middle of this year Intel will start selling a cheaper "mainstream" desktop Nehalem (Core i5 is what it's rumored to be called), which will be a new stepping that will surely run cooler. We'll have to see about that.

Or, yes, that nutty rumor about a 28" iMac could be true. Apple could probably engineer such a monster to hold a hotter processor.

But the quad that is rumored to be in the 28" imac is mobile or desktop? I don't see apple using desktop processors at all. I didn't realize intel was that far behind on the mobile versions of the proc. That sucks. Least we know now.
  • Reply 56 of 240
    My guess is that Apple wants the new iMacs and Minis to come out with Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 57 of 240
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrnnn View Post

My guess is that Apple wants the new iMacs and Minis to come out with Snow Leopard.

Iol, I freakin' hope not. That would put them off until mid to late 2009. That would be unprecedented insanity, even for Apple.
  • Reply 58 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrnnn View Post

I don't see that happening at all. If anything, from a business decision it'd be wiser for apple to launch the mini with leopard pre-installed to try and grab some snow leopard upgrades. I feel the Mini will be updated any day now. It's not like the hardware isn't there. We have the cpus, ram, gpus, harddrives. It's coming, it will be here when it's ready.

The iMac on the other hand is kind of in a weird position. They don't HAVE to update it, but it would be nice. I expect an iMac refresh no later than march.
  • Reply 59 of 240
    In June 2008, Steve Jobs said that Snow Leopard will be released in about a year. So that makes Apple's deadline to be around June 2009.

But the key word here is "about".

Apple will want to make it appear that they are ahead of schedule. Plus, they want to be ahead of Windows 7 to grab market share before the new version comes out.

So its quite possible that the release of Snow Leopard would be ahead of June and maybe even months ahead of June. This would time perfectly with a new iMac and Mac Mini.
  • Reply 60 of 240
    Judging from the amount of developer seeds that have been going on with Snow Leopard, I'd say it's a safe bet that it's still far out. I still think June is a safe bet. While you say that

Quote:

Apple will want to make it appear that they are ahead of schedule. Plus, they want to be ahead of Windows 7 to grab market share before the new version comes out.

... Apple has made it very obvious that they would rather ship a stable OS then worry about what windows is doing. Leopard was put off another 9 months months, and was heavily criticised because M$ did the same thing. It is more important to apple to have a stable OS then having a huge mess on their hands.

I also don't see Snow Leopard being an attraction to gain marketshare. A lot of consumers have no idea what the difference is between leopard and snow leopard). All they will know is the names and numbers are different. If you try to explain to joe blow the differences, it isn't going to sell them to convert to OS X. Most consumers don't even understand what a process or thread is. All you can say is it's faster, has some under the hood changes, and it's pretty. It's not going to be a deal breaker in mass quantities. More than anything apple wants this to be a good foundation for the next revision. A tick-tock schedule much like Intel does.