Apple posts Macworld 2009 keynote stream

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has already posted a streaming version of company senior VP Phil Schiller's Macworld 2009 keynote speech, recapping the company's final presentation at the annual trade show.

The stream (note: direct QuickTime link) presents the full hour-and-a-half keynote, including a concluding performance by musician Tony Bennett.

At the event, Apple introduced a new version of iLife with key updates to GarageBand, iMovie and iPhoto; it also unveiled both iWork '09 and iWork.com, establishing the first web component to its productivity suite.

The company also introduced a new 17-inch MacBook Pro that uses the same unibody construction as 13- and 15-inch Apple notebooks but with a newly designed 8-hour battery and a dramatically improved display.

Finally, Apple has also revealed that it will remove DRM from virtually all music on iTunes by the end of March while increasing audio quality. In return, pricing for songs will vary depending what labels hope to charge Apple.

iPhone 3G owners can now also download music and podcasts directly over the cellular network instead of waiting to reach a Wi-Fi network.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I was going to post this, but I knew AI would ignore my post and submit their own link to it. So I didn't bother.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It works! The last couple presentations streamed for me the same night, though this time, I get an occasional glitch in the form of frame jitter and static frames. Even then, it's pretty good quality for streaming. In the past, I had to wait a few days for it to work.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If you try to manually drag the QuickTime windoe bigger it will crash. So cmd + F it is.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If you try to manually drag the QuickTime windoe bigger it will crash. So cmd + F it is.

That doesn't work for me. It's in a window of Safari rather than a separate Quicktime Window.

Edit: I got it to work some other way. I can't full screen and use something on another screen, but dragging the window larger did work for me.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    I like Phil's genuine sense of humility, gratefulness, and pride in Apple at the beginning.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Hopefully they post a podcast of this. I'm on satellite internet (lives in the boonies) so streaming it really, really sucks!
  • Reply 7 of 18
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    I think Phil did a pretty good job. He did stumble a few times, saying the wrong words or getting ahead of his slides, and there were definitely times when I know Steve would have paused just the right amount to get a greater reaction from the audience.

Overall though, nice presentation.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I saw the verbal slips and fumbles and thought the opposite. Phil is not ready to lead Apple. He lacks polish. Cross him off the list.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I saw the verbal slips and fumbles and thought the opposite. Phil is not ready to lead Apple. He lacks polish. Cross him off the list.

But most of running a company has very little to do with making public presentations like this. I don't know how much time Steve gets to practice his routine, and how well that compares to how much time Phil had, especially given that it's a 1.5 hour presentation, even Steve flubs up some in every presentation.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Look back at Steve's earlier presentations, including when he was very young. He's had a long time to polish the art of giving a good presentation. I don't think we can hold Phil to that kind of standard right away.

That said, even some of Steve's more comical presentations were bad because of over-dramatic choreography, I don't think he ever stumbled in them the way Phil did today. But I think that's a reflection of his perfectionism and the amount of time he put into practicing before them.

I'd give Phil at least a few more tries at full presentations before crossing him off the list. I think compared to his past small parts, there was some improvement today.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

I think Phil did a pretty good job. He did stumble a few times, saying the wrong words or getting ahead of his slides, and there were definitely times when I know Steve would have paused just the right amount to get a greater reaction from the audience.

Overall though, nice presentation.

I doubt Steve wasn't an Oscar winner the first time out. And he probably didn't have the pressure of the tech world comparing him to a rock star.

Quote:

yeah cause being a nervous public speaker means you are a moron.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

I'd give Phil at least a few more tries at full presentations before crossing him off the list. I think compared to his past small parts, there was some improvement today.

I don't care if Phil gets up there and stutters and drops his remote 20 times. My judgement is reserved for when he is actually making decisions and what kind he makes. Until he actually does something stupid, like giving ATT lifetime exclusive rights to the iphone, I"m going to assume that Steve's faith in Phil is well placed
  • Reply 12 of 18
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

I missed your sarcasm smiley there. I hope you weren't serious. I thought Phil gave a genuine expression of pride in Apple products and did an adequate job of showing off the new features of the new software. No, he doesn't have Steve's "Reality Distortion Field" level of charisma, but he seemed like a smart guy showing off products he was proud of.

He struck me as a little more of an engineer than the style-wonk that Steve is. Not bad, just different.

- Jasen.

P.S. What's with the moles/lumps on his face?! OMG does he have cancer!!???
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Is it just me or has Phil lost weight?

Good on ya Phil. Delivering an Apple Key Note was never going to be easy and you came through. Just surprised there was no mention of Snow Leopard and disappointed that there's no Blu Ray drive in the new 17 inch mac book.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Podcast of keynote now posted on itunes.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I thought Phil did a really good job. Its not exactly easy to stand up in front of over 3,000 people and give a presentation. Don't knock it until you try it...I've been there done it when less people and it still isn't easy. He did stumble a couple of times, but Steve does too. Just last year when Steve was introducing Time Capsule for Leopard and kept calling it Tiger. Everyone makes mistakes and there isn't always going to be a perfect presentation, even with Steve Jobs giving it. If you don't believe me, go to youtube and search for MacWorld bloopers and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Someone has actually complied a bunch of bloopers from past keynotes.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    So, and where is the magic Mac Mini that they did talk about?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Someone really pulled some strings bringing in Tony Bennett for this event. I thought it was pretty amazing when they brought in Randy Newman on year, but they outdid themselves with this class act. Bennett is still looking and singing pretty well for his age and he still can bring the house down. This on top of the new product made a nice final appearance for Apple at MacWorld. Awesome.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I thought Phil did well overall. Though I only watched up to about 40 minutes or so, my keynote podcast download was corrupted for some reason.