Dell kind of, sort of unveils the Adamo ultra-thin notebook

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    What the hell is with laptop makers sticking the battery on the"outside" of the laptop. It makes the laptop look cheap, poorly designed (ugly), and most of the time it does nothing to increase either computational power (which the extra space should allow) or battery life.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Well the guys from Engadget that took the snaps and have seen it closer than anyone so far said it looked "less than an inch thick." The Macbook Air is barely a hair over 3/4 of an inch thick (0.76"). The thinnest laptop ever was 0.72" (but it was a flop for other reasons).

I'd be surprised if this is thinner than an Air. It certainly doesn't look like it. If it is, we are talking perhaps a tenth of an inch or maybe even millimetres.

Look at the link I posted - very thin and a few images I have seen from CES look really tight as do the phones.

Then of course, we can't even compare say Netflix MS vs Apple TV. This netflix and microsoft thing is huge, no limits, zapping of files, and MS seems to be getting everything streamed and one of the things they DO DO better, is CLOUD technology. I didn't feel like this last night, but after further review, plus some of the lackluster that the iPhone has (I had 2), I really do believe MS is going to do very well this time around. Apple's problem is they have to many restrictions and proprietary vibes to everything they do while taking away firewire due to fear of 1% of PRO user buying a cheap system. (See my past posts on how Apple replace GMA and benchmarks went from 171% to 70% as reported from Barefeats and hurt only those who were loading PRO APPS on past gen MACBOOKS. I mean really Apple, do you have to fear LESS THAN the 1% loyal?

What can we do. PRO and 1 to 1 went from SHAKE, FCP, LOGIC to barking dogs, elderly learning how to attach emails and iPhoto switchers with many of the mac personal having no idea about the pro markets.

All MS really needs is a good EDITING PROGRAM, and a decent iLife app, (some say it's coming in their cloud and can be had now with Windows Live and they are going to do really well.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think Air is more like costly construction than difficult engineering. The engineering behind making a billet frame isn't that terribly difficult, it just consumes more material and more machine time than other case manufacturing processes.

When I said difficult engineering, I wasn't talking about just manufacturing the unibody. To have a computer you have to put something inside the case as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

This years Dell ultra-thin notebook book is last years (well two years ago?) Apple's black MacBook!

Mine's coming up for 3 years soon.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

After reviewing some of windows 7 (downloading now), microsoft has quite a bit of advantage with the CLOUD experience, TV and computing, Touch phones, super high end table touch pc's that get all the info from the device simply by placing it on the screen, the task bar does great things in WINDOWS 7 as far as orginzation, and a lot more. Epsecially for productivity and their partners are coming out of the woodwork.

With all due respect, this is about as well thought out and coherent and Microsoft's CES presentation. All the buzzwords and technologies are there, just not necessarily in any particular order or put together in a sensible, useful fashion.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    it doesn't even look much thinner than the Macbook Pro, let alone the Air. Check out the two photos below where you can see the ports for comparison.

More importantly, if you were in the market for a "luxury" laptop, which of these would you choose?

I think only an idiot would think that the plastic Dell one looks better than teh sexy MacBook Pro, and if money is an issue, well then you are not really in the market for a luxury laptop are you?

• Reply 25 of 78
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

Look at the link I posted - very thin and a few images I have seen from CES look really tight as do the phones....

You do realise that this is not a real computer right?

It's a mock-up of a "wouldn't it be nice in the future" kind of thing.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:

I could be wrong but it may look like Apple is the one playing catch up.

You could indeed be wrong . . . especially if it takes another two years

for MS to truly release their new version of Windows.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    Quote:

I remember a time when some Apple fans ragged on Windows notebooks that had the wedge shape. Now that Apple does it, it's a feature.

I think it's kind of nifty, though I think the hinge should be at the back edge, not forward a bit.

Yes, wedge - bad, tapered - good!
  • Reply 28 of 78
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    With a real MacBook Air refurb now costing $999 with full warranty from Apple, a "luxury" brand may not be much competition!

And a laptop that's slightly thinner that the Air's MAXIMUM may still be much thicker in AVERAGE thickness--and that matters. Average thickness is what makes a less bulky machine. An Air's average thickness is about half its maximum.

Quote:

I think it's kind of nifty, though I think the hinge should be at the back edge, not forward a bit.

The hinge being moved forward allows the back part to be full-thickness. That's a decent solution to the problem of fitting ports into a thin laptop. (Though I do like the Air's hinge better.)
  • Reply 29 of 78
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Too bad this Dell copy of a Mac doesn't run OSX. BTW, try downloading Windows 7 beta, or better yet try to find out where to do that from the MS web sight. I tell ya, people are gonna storm into the Apple store, "Mad as hell and they're not gonna take it anymore!" Windows 7 is another dog (a wolf in goats clothing that stinks like wet camel hair!)

At CES the guy demoing W7 even had the guts to suggest that the stolen dock at the bottom of there window wasn't from 'barrowed' Apple, but is rather actually " based on Windows 1.0"!!!! Well, Windows 1.0 is still based on Apples System 1.0! Lies and more copying. Hey Microsoft, with Windows 7, your still three versions away from OS Ten! Keep trying-and if Jesus doesn't come back first, you might get it right by the end of the Mayan calender!
  • Reply 30 of 78
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Complete failure on DELL. The fancy cryptic ad and purposely leaked rumors only enforces the big let down that some DELL fans was hoping for.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Stupido.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    gto65lgto65l Posts: 42member
    Quote:

Is that why every competitor copies Apple's MP3 players, laptops, cellphone, operating system, etc? That is like saying that the NFL is playing catch up to the Detroit Lions!

Seriously, this this is straight ugly! How hard is it to make a hinge that doesn't look like it came off a Playskool toy? I hate to break the news to Dell, but square and boxy plastic hasn't been popular since the 80s... Thank you Dell for easing my fears that someday Apple may be outdone in innovation.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    Quote:

This would be a horrible laptop. My iPhone replaced my laptop, but at the end of the day... I need a REAL keyboard with tactile response. Anything else simply won't work.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    If so, what a joke. Six months from now the MacBook Air will be so far ahead of the competition the "Adamo" won't matter. The only real piece left for Apple is to figure out how to cram either 3G or WiMax into the Air without crushing the battery life.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    There is something that I dont get, it says that Adamo will be the world's thinnest notebook? How the heck is it thinnest if it looks like a brick?
  • Reply 36 of 78
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    The model looks eerily similar to the laptop...
  • Reply 37 of 78
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

When I said difficult engineering, I wasn't talking about just manufacturing the unibody. To have a computer you have to put something inside the case as well.

Mine's coming up for 3 years soon.

With all due respect, this is about as well thought out and coherent and Microsoft's CES presentation. All the buzzwords and technologies are there, just not necessarily in any particular order or put together in a sensible, useful fashion.

Have you seen live . com?

How about MESH ? Mesh includes FULL support for MACS - check it out.

MSFT is in partner with NETFLIX too, far better deal than Apple TV

and with all the hoopla on how a DELL looks like a MACBOOK from 2 years ago, I take it know one has seen the new MSI machines, basically a carbon copy of the AIR...

Sure DELL released a FLOP but check out these OTHER PC's

I am by no means an MSFT apollogetist its just that this time, I think MICROSOFT is going to HAMMER apple and it's cloud features, tv delivery, mac compatible services, GPUGPU (which snow leapord does not have), MESH, LIVE, application services, meaning WORD and probably CS5 down the road and so much more, from any computer.

Then, you look at the images from above which is almost a clone of the AIR and you have to admit, just becuase DELL got it wrong doesn't mean others will, plus you have ANDROID. Apple can't even impliement PUSH, flash or copy/paste whereas MSFT is going to focus on services, table top displays, benable monitors that you can fold and put in your back pack, and TOUCH is built into Windows 7. Again, not an apologist for Microsoft but I call it like it is and have been an Mac user for a while - but was also a PC user back in the day, plus working in I.T. and MS looks like they really got it under control, especially with partners. Plus AMD has a new netbook under $600. Combine all this power and Apple will have to reduce prices and stop releasing proprietary hardware that VAPORIZES movies (example) from Apple TV (no DVR), meanwhile, PC's can record DVR shows from computers, laptops, phones, plus stream.

Think about it - I predicted years ago, FCP editors will be in demand as the NET will replace TV and shows will be every where, (with it also will come better EDITING PLATFORMS from any computer (SERVICE SOFTWARE) while Apple locks you into their hardware, or forces you to get a $2000 machine if you want a laptop, good graphics, and firewire. Plus the GPUGPU built into Windows 7 looks like a winner.

I haven't felt this way for a while and after reviewing some of the features of windows 7 plus their services, it looks stellar. Apples answer is iWork and Mobile Me which are a far cry from LIVE, MESH, NETFLICKS, plus, as many know, if you bought a laptop that had a GMA Intel motherboard/GPU you could hack it for OSX and now that support is out for Nvidia on the MACBOOK, one only needs a PC netbook with firewire and same GPU (or non netbook) and one can have dual booting OSX for editing, and WINDOWS 7 for social networking on a machine that is half the cost and two times more powerful, not to mention all the new CPU's coming out and overclocking that some users will do.

Again, many who know me now I am not a MS apologetist, in fact I SLAMMED Microsoft's music program yesterday but having looked into it much more, Microsoft has the lead on social networking, delivery, GPU performance, partners and much more.

While I am a fan of Apple, I am NOT a fan boy and need to tell it like it is - many think MS copies when in fact (e.g.) MS invented the search FIRST but APPLE delivered it FIRST, with the DOCK, it was created by K'bulator (google YZ Dock) and in terms of Operating Systems, in 2/3D, Sun Microsystems had it first, years ago... here:

http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/

Go to VIEW DEMO and see it work live (at the time) about 5 minutes in.

2003 which things like the iPhone has almost 5 years later.

Peace
  • Reply 38 of 78
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    hiimamac. Any chance you can calm down a bit?

We're just talkin' about a couple of notebooks here! Your stream of consciousness shit is making me dizzy.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    You do realize that the Macbook Air clone is plastic right? You should also realize that just as competitors are starting to catch up(which is debatable) that Apple is readying to pull away again.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

hiimamac. Any chance you can calm down a bit?

We're just talkin' about a couple of notebooks here! Your stream of consciousness shit is making me dizzy.

Haha!