Source: Apple plans to attend CES in 2010

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 80
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    '



    Makes me wonder if they are developing something that deserves a bigger stage than MW.



    MW has become as big a stage as CES.



    If you go to cnbc of cnnfn they give the same coverage to MW as they do to CES.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,934member
    I think it would be great if Apple attended CES. It gives people a feel for what Apple has to offer. A piece of the Apple experience, meaning a piece of the Apple announcements. They don't need a bunch of Apple fan boys to wow a crowd. Not everyone who attends MacWorld are Apple fan boys. CES is a larger audience, and more important, a more versatile audience. You're not only reaching out to Apple fan boys, but also the rest of the industry, something MacWorld will never provide. I could see Apple doing a lot of iPhone type announcements here, possibly even some OS X ones too. If Apple were ever to do a keynote it will have to be something good. They couldn't sit there and do an hour and a half keynote on iLife and expect great news coming out of it. But if you're going to do a keynote on Mac OS X, or some new iPhone it would be great as long as it has good content. Apple wouldn't even have to show off a finished product. Many companies show off prototypes, or software betas to give demonstrations. Perhaps this would release some of the pressure to have a complete finished product ready to ship the week of CES. It would be great, but its not necessary. I think Apple was under more pressure to have finished products that were shipping today at MacWorld, something they didn't like.
  • Reply 43 of 80
    nceencee Posts: 836member
    Well Apple CAN NOT wait until CES to announce new stuff … it would die a slow death. Now that's the good news.



    - New iPods

    - New iPhones

    - New Desktops

    - New Device??



    They WILL announce some new and cool stuff all year, so what WILL they announce to rock the world at CES???



    - New device #1

    - New device #2

    - Up-dates to a whole range of products currently available.





    Karl
  • Reply 44 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post


    Well Apple CAN NOT wait until CES to announce new stuff ? it would die a slow death. Now that's the good news.



    - New iPods

    - New iPhones

    - New Desktops

    - New Device??



    They WILL announce some new and cool stuff all year, so what WILL they announce to rock the world at CES???



    - New device #1

    - New device #2

    - Up-daes to a whole range of products currently available.



    I don't think anyone is suggesting that Apple will wait a year to announce any new products, just that instead of doing their annual announcement at MacWorld, they will do it at a larger center at CES with more attendees that may not already be in Apple's camp. I think it's a great move that is long overdue.



    PS: Has anyone mentioned that Apple has had a booth at CES for years?
  • Reply 45 of 80
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


    .... Apple wouldn't even have to show off a finished product. Many companies show off prototypes, or software betas to give demonstrations. Perhaps this would release some of the pressure to have a complete finished product ready to ship the week of CES. It would be great, but its not necessary. I think Apple was under more pressure to have finished products that were shipping today at MacWorld, something they didn't like.



    Apple is not going to demo or show of works in progress. Not... going... to.... happen. They could have done this at MW but never have.



    Why would they want to let MS, Dell, Sony or Palm know what they're up to?



    Would it have been have been a good idea in 2005 to demo the iPhone concept? Hey people we're working on this new phone with a touch screen interface that runs on OSX and does all these neat things. It'll be ready in a year!



    Apple's modus operandi has been to release products when they are ready and fully baked (ignore the mobile me launch). That's not going to change.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    I think Apple will forego the SteveNote replacing it w/ one from their top leadership.



    The win for Apple is to be seen and compared to the 'others'. Many attendees will be comparing for the 1st time. Apple will have many cool products to present, but I don't think they'll make a 'big deal' intro; it's too stressful for the employees.
  • Reply 47 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    Apple's modus operandi has been to release products when they are ready and fully baked (ignore the mobile me launch). That's not going to change.



    And MobileMe wasn't even half-backed really, it was one of many things - iPhone/iPod update 2.0, iPhone 3G launch in U.S. 22 other countries - that failed due to Apple's servers going down from ridiculous strain.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I can understand why Apple would want to abandon Macworld. Things like cost, pressure to release new products, and negative pressure asserted over the stock by sites such as Appleinsider spoiling the surprise element to events such as Macworld. After all, it is hardly fair to be holding a trade show to wow the audiences, only to have all that undone by rumors (don't get wrong I love feeding off the rumors, but this has been at my expense of enjoying Macworlds and my stock portfolio).



    So with that said, I think Apple going to CES has some benefits, but also potentially subjects it to some of the same concerns. First, despite what this article suggests it would cost Apple significantly less to increase it's exhibit at CES. This is because at Macworld, Apple being the sponsor picks up a tremendous amount of the cost in terms of renting, preparing, and manning the facilities. That likely would be significantly reduced if Apple were to become just another company exhibiting because it would presumably have a much smaller presence there and overall cost would be distributed to other large exhibiters, like Microsoft. Further, much of Apple's travel expenses are insignificant because many of the executives are getting in the company jet, which is being paid for whether it is flying or not. When Apple held Macworld in New York, many of the staff was local. The same would be true if it exhibited at on a grander scale at CES. Second, at CES Apple could 1) start new expectations by not having Jobs present (thereby reducing the appearance of the company needing him to survive), and 2) tone down the amount of new product announcements. Third, if Apple were to appear at CES, that would give long time Mac user (many of whom work in media), who Apple relied on during the lean times and love going to these shows, an outlet to continue doing so. Fourth, Apple being at the show would continue to draw attention away from competitors thereby diminishing the competitors returns in these shows. Fifth, as a stock holder, my only concern would be reducing media (and thereby Wall street's) expectations for surprise, "one more thing" announcements. Sixth, appearing at CES would likely help at lot of Mac developers because many also produce products for other platforms, which could be addressed at this type of show. Sixth, presumably many people attending CES who might not otherwise be drawn to Apple products might check them out.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac


    And its unlikely that SJ will get to give the opening keynote. I suspect MS will still keep that for now.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post


    I wouldn't bet on that. If Jobs offered, they'd be stupid not to bite. He's not just Apple, he's Pixar and Disney too. Jobs would draw a bigger crowd so long as he's willing to wear all his hats.



    It would be foolish to offer the keynote to the guy who only has the ten percent market share when 90% of the show (or more) is Windows oriented. That would only generate a lot of heat for no reason.



    Apple would be smart to attend CES, but not to give the keynote (at least for the first few years). I would expect that product announcements will be de-coupled from the CES as the argument for stopping them at MacWorld (which happens at the same time) was that they didn't want to announce products then. Unless we now all believe a week later that Apple was lying through it's teeth multiple times when the board members were asked the question.



    It would be much more to their advantage to be in the audience smirking while monkey boy does his best to be entertaining on stage.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I don't think anyone is suggesting that Apple will wait a year to announce any new products, just that instead of doing their annual announcement at MacWorld, they will do it at a larger center at CES with more attendees that may not already be in Apple's camp. I think it's a great move that is long overdue.



    PS: Has anyone mentioned that Apple has had a booth at CES for years?



    CES and MacWorld are more or less at the same time. If, as Apple has said, the MacWorld time is the "worst" time of the year for them to announce new products, it makes no sense to move product announcements to CES.



    If Jobs (or anyone) does the keynote at CES and announces no new products it would be a worse debacle than trying to come up with new products for MacWorld each year. I expect CES to be a small to medium Apple booth with a lot of bright eyed youngsters showing off the latest junk like in the stores. Period.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    This is the time to make the move, as already mentioned Apple announces stuff that is shipping or very close to shipping, save OSX announcements and even those are operating close to clockwork. So let the crowd get a keynote from Ballmer where he talks about the next planed OS that no one knows when it will ship including Ballmer, only to see Apple announce an OS update that actually ships in the time window it was predicted. Let the crowd see the "new" Dell, Apple Air killer or (insert Apple product name here) killer, but again when will it ship, when can the crowd touch it or look at it up close, Apples' products will be right there for people to see and most of the time touch. In short Apple has been delivering while the competition has been promising, and that is the perfect time for Apple to confront the competition on their turf. Not saying that all eyes will be on Apple but it will make for good drama and that alone may catch the attention only later followed by the reality of the PC centric crowd that while their beloved Dells, HPs, and MS promise, Apple is in a good place to be the only one to actually delivers. Like here is our third or forth generation iPhone and iPodTouch with killer support, killer games, killer graphics, and so on only to be followed by: "Here take it and give it a try, shipping next month in large quantities." While Dell and others say here is what we are working on, killer yes?, will be shipping soon. Sorry this is a prototype it doesn't have all of the features working.



    This is clearly the time to move for Apple, the others are only promising, Apple is delivering, and that is worth pointing out to the largely non-Apple crowd. Apple does not have to steal the show but they may get allot of extra attention when people realize that they are delivering what the others only promise. Great News Indeed
  • Reply 52 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    MW has become as big a stage as CES.



    If you go to cnbc of cnnfn they give the same coverage to MW as they do to CES.



    That is the part Apple is going to miss. They got a lot more media attention than any computer maker usually gets. Blending into the crowd might not be so advantageous at the end.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    Well stated Brendon.



    Apple is moving into the consumer electronics business more every year, so it makes perfect sense for them to attend CES. Get your products in the hands of those create the buzz for consumers. Let people see, touch and experience your products and not just hear about them at some event hundreds of miles away. Apple doesn't need a huge product announcement to get people to want to check out the Apple booth, I'm sure it would be a required stop for anyone attending.



    Apple stated that the time after the holidays is a tough time to make announcements and that they don't need a trade show to make product announcements. That doesn't mean that they aren't going to do it anymore. All Apple needs to do is announce a product before CES at their own event and have it on display at CES, no keynote necessary!
  • Reply 54 of 80
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post


    That is the part Apple is going to miss. They got a lot more media attention than any computer maker usually gets. Blending into the crowd might not be so advantageous at the end.



    Apple can grab the media's attention whenever it wants. It doesn't need a trade show to do this. If Apple wants to release something big such as the new unibody notebooks a few weeks back all they have to do is invite the media to where they want them to be and Apple will get all of the attention is wants.



    I still think it would be a good idea to attend CES. Its a much broader audience than MacWorld. However I don't think it will happen because it totally makes Apple look like fools with the reasons for not attending MacWorld. If CES or MacWorld were around May, or June it would be a better time of year. Its after the christmas rush, tax season is over, schools are planning for next school year, etc. But its not, so as much as I would like to see Apple at CES for the reasons I posted above, I don't think it will happen.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    Apple's modus operandi has been to release products when they are ready and fully baked (ignore the mobile me launch). That's not going to change.



    While this was true in the past, this has been changing, and as Apple becomes much more dominate in the industry the logistics of waiting until a product is ready for the shelf before it's announced will change.



    iPhone and AppleTV were announced long before they were released. The iPhone announcement allowed 1/4 of the US to not be in contract if they wanted a new iPhone and I would assume the AppleTV announcement was more to help get the studios online, though that didn't happen.



    Then their is software and HW that no longer are available immediately. That seems the norm these days.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neutrino23 View Post


    I'll speculate that the Apple booth at CES will be heavy on iPods, iPhone, iMacs and MacBooks. You'll hardly see an Xserve or a MBP or FCP or Cinema Displays. They didn't even they show FCP at MWSF. It wasn't mentioned in the keynote. Note that Apple didn't exhibit at NAB last year.



    Well Duh! iPod, iPhone, iMac, and MacBooks are their top product line. They all integrate well with consumer electronics. You don't see Xserves in their Apple Stores either.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    It's one thing to report Apple attending CES, but why denigrate CES and Microsoft in the process? There is a reason 150,000 people attend CES each year and that Microsoft is the leading producer of software in the world.



    I am not knocking Apple. It is a wonderful company with great products and would make a great addition to CES. In all likelyhood it would dominate the show due to the popularity of it's products.



    But does the writer really think calling CES a failing venture will change anything?
  • Reply 58 of 80
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mfura6579 View Post


    The majority of you need to come to your senses.



    Peon... CES is not MS's playgorund. And despite what the non-informed writer of this article thinks, CES is NOT a party held in honor of MS.



    Christ, the first CES was held in 1967 WAY before Apple or MS were even start ups!



    Does Apple make some great products? Most definitely. But like iReality said, Apple is not the center of the tech universe. CES is a much bigger thing than MacWorld and whole different ballgame.



    Ireland? Networked TV's from Apple next year?? LOL They'll only be a year behind. Take a look at some of the stuff Samsung rolled out this week. MacTouch? Check out the Lenovo A600 they rolled out earlier this week. You'll have to have something bigger then those two to make a dent at CES.



    Case in point? From the looks of it, the iPhone killer is soon to be here. Palm came back relevance big time today with the Pre. This beta version of the phone caused ALOT of heads to turn today, and it even has a QWERTY keyboard.



    I'm not a Mac guy. I have an Ipod, yes. But Jesus, some of you guys have to realize that Apple isn't the end all be all of tech.



    Well said! Some of the people on this board have their head in the clouds. It is funny how they believe all the fake rumors and then get pissed off about it. Apple won't dominate CES, they will just be a part of it.
  • Reply 59 of 80
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    While this was true in the past, this has been changing, and as Apple becomes much more dominate in the industry the logistics of waiting until a product is ready for the shelf before it's announced will change.



    iPhone and AppleTV were announced long before they were released. The iPhone announcement allowed 1/4 of the US to not be in contract if they wanted a new iPhone and I would assume the AppleTV announcement was more to help get the studios online, though that didn't happen.



    Then their is software and HW that no longer are available immediately. That seems the norm these days.



    As long as Microsoft and other competitors exist (which they always will), Apple has no incentive to blab about what they're working on so others can copy it. The iPhone was announced early so people would know what it was, but it was the longest delay in quite some time and was partially due to getting FCC certification. I don't remember seeing product demonstrations of the Apple TV, just a hint at it when it was still called iTV. Everything else since then (save Snow Leopard, which is for developers) has been released on the spot or soon after (i.e., at the end of the month or the next month).
  • Reply 60 of 80
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,531member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post


    I can understand why Apple would want to abandon Macworld. Things like cost, pressure to release new products, and negative pressure asserted over the stock by sites such as Appleinsider spoiling the surprise element to events such as Macworld. After all, it is hardly fair to be holding a trade show to wow the audiences, only to have all that undone by rumors (don't get wrong I love feeding off the rumors, but this has been at my expense of enjoying Macworlds and my stock portfolio).



    So with that said, I think Apple going to CES has some benefits, but also potentially subjects it to some of the same concerns. First, despite what this article suggests it would cost Apple significantly less to increase it's exhibit at CES. This is because at Macworld, Apple being the sponsor picks up a tremendous amount of the cost in terms of renting, preparing, and manning the facilities. That likely would be significantly reduced if Apple were to become just another company exhibiting because it would presumably have a much smaller presence there and overall cost would be distributed to other large exhibiters, like Microsoft. Further, much of Apple's travel expenses are insignificant because many of the executives are getting in the company jet, which is being paid for whether it is flying or not. When Apple held Macworld in New York, many of the staff was local. The same would be true if it exhibited at on a grander scale at CES. Second, at CES Apple could 1) start new expectations by not having Jobs present (thereby reducing the appearance of the company needing him to survive), and 2) tone down the amount of new product announcements. Third, if Apple were to appear at CES, that would give long time Mac user (many of whom work in media), who Apple relied on during the lean times and love going to these shows, an outlet to continue doing so. Fourth, Apple being at the show would continue to draw attention away from competitors thereby diminishing the competitors returns in these shows. Fifth, as a stock holder, my only concern would be reducing media (and thereby Wall street's) expectations for surprise, "one more thing" announcements. Sixth, appearing at CES would likely help at lot of Mac developers because many also produce products for other platforms, which could be addressed at this type of show. Sixth, presumably many people attending CES who might not otherwise be drawn to Apple products might check them out.



    Apple is not the sponsor at MacWorld. IDG runs MW. Apple is just an exhibitor, albeit the largest exhibitor. No idea if they get a break on booth rental.



    Moscone is about forty miles from Apple headquarters so everyone their from Apple can simply drive over. Most of them can go home at night rather than to a hotel room. This has to be the least expensive site for Apple.



    An analyst reported (take that with a grain of salt) that the publicity Apple generated at MW was worth about $400M while the cost was under $25M. Seems like it was money well spent. At MW Apple stood out clearly. At CES they are one of the crowd. IMHO, I don't think they are making this move to get more media exposure.



    CES is a media and marketing trade show, not sure how developers enter into it.



    I agree that Apple will probably not use this venue to introduce new products. Probably they will have a moderate sized booth and use this opportunity just to interact with other companies.
Sign In or Register to comment.