Andy Ihnatko's rumor might be true after all..

Comments

• Reply 361 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

When Apple enters a market, they make the whole widget. And they're not about to enter the Car-making business...

Oh yeah Frank? Where's my Apple television set??
  • Reply 362 of 487
    Are you guys starting to suggest Apple will announce an eco-friendly *car* this Superbowl? That is sooooo... beyond nuts. Maybe a car dashboard "intelligent system" that is licensed to multiple manufacturers.

Would totally justify Ihnatko's OMFG WTF !!!!! ravings.

If it were true at all.
  • Reply 363 of 487
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Would totally justify Ihnatko's OMFG WTF !!!!! ravings.

Anyone else annoyed with Ihnatko yet?I'm ready to slap the guy upside the head over this whole mess. I feel like I'm being set up for a huge letdown. Well, that or I'll be waiting to buy a computer for ages because I'll be waiting for whatever this whole thing is.
  • Reply 364 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Just join in on the discussion!

p.s.

Oh, and have you bought your Apple shares yet? Still waiting?

Hope you're not waiting too long?!?

I bought $40,000 worth of AAPL stock on Friday.

See the superbowl thread.
  • Reply 365 of 487
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

Anyone else annoyed with Ihnatko yet?I'm ready to slap the guy upside the head over this whole mess. I feel like I'm being set up for a huge letdown. Well, that or I'll be waiting to buy a computer for ages because I'll be waiting for whatever this whole thing is.

All the major announcements of the year from Apple won't happen until June at the earliest. They have the iphone 3.0 due at that time which in my mind is actually the REAL 2nd generation iphone using totally new hardware. The iphone 3G was really just the iphone 1.0 with a 3G radio.

The new version........give me a moment.

I've just finished watching "quarantine". The movie still is giving me the shakes. \

Anyways, the iphone 3rd generation will be out most likely in June just in time for Steve Jobs' return. Beyond that is the probable ipod touch extreme tablet or whatever in the fall. And between now and June we will see the imac and mac mini refreshes. At this point I have no idea what that big nerd Ihnatko was referring to.

Wait, what was that? I thought I heard a sound coming from the dark hallway. \
  • Reply 366 of 487
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

I want to do something of biblical proportions to his ass. That said, thanks to whatever this next fantastic thing whenever it comes, in the meantime it is all helping me save my cash in these here troubled times than going off and blowing it on a MacBook Pro or something.
  • Reply 367 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmillea View Post

Can we have an official countdown to Superbowl thread? I think I get it live on Satellite TV here in Asia. Tennis first up in a few hours...
  • Reply 368 of 487
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Quote:

Like I've said though, the people who are just as much to blame are people who blow out of proportion the zero information that people offer. If someone comes along and says that a company is going to do something amazing then why give them any more recognition than you do to the spam emails that fill your inbox that tell you some amazing workout will give you a 6-pack in a few weeks or increase your length by 2 inches or that everyone is buying stock in company x?

The whole principle of marketing is to sell people what they want and the easiest way to do that is to sell them a tin of unmarked seeds and let them believe the seeds will grow into whatever they want. It's your choice to hold the cow or buy the magic beans but there's no sense in complaining when you don't get a beanstalk and run out of milk.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmimlea in Superbowl thread

I think it will be big. I expect new iMacs, including a quad core, 32" model, 'next generation 64 bit operating system' (Snow Leopard), a further showcase of iLife '09, iTunes, and heavy play on green credentials. There may also be the new app store for Mac. Apple likes surprises even more than secrets.

This is all very well if they do this but Apple won't drop the price. Assuming that they come out with a 32" model, who is going to be buying it?

It would have to be Mac related because of the fact that the ipod/iphone thing is stable and it's a Mac anniversary. I don't think it will be ilife/itunes etc because that was covered at the Keynote. I could see it being Snow Leopard but not without hardware to go along with it.

Even then, I think they'd want to demo the product than just have a teaser advert.
  • Reply 369 of 487
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Can we have an official countdown to Superbowl thread? I think I get it live on Satellite TV here in Asia. Tennis first up in a few hours...

I'm usually the one hoping Apple will do something at events such as the supebowl or 25th anniversaries and whatnot.

But this time I'm going to say confidently that NOTHING will be announced from Apple during the superbowl. Sorry dude.

And those of you abroad in the UK or wherever don't bother waiting to find out either. The only thing to note during the superbowl commercials will be those ads for the summer movies. And you don't even have to wait to see them. The new transformers commercial and the GI Joe one (omg its going to suck) is already on youtube in HD.
  • Reply 370 of 487
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Oh yeah Frank? Where's my Apple television set??

That's just it. The AppleTV is a self contained media box that plugs into your television.

Apple already has a self contained media box that plugs into your car. It's called an iPod.
  • Reply 371 of 487
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

So what is the list so far?

* OS X on on non macs

* Win32 API within OS X

* OS X API under Windows (Yellow box)

* AppleTV App Store

* AppleTV TV

* OS X App Store

Anything else?

C.

There has been plenty. everything from Pippin 2.0 to Apple buying Adobe.
  • Reply 372 of 487
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PPie View Post

OK, I already thought it was Adobe. I googled 'Operating Margin - 5 Yr. Avg. 29.02' and found it.

< a lot of neat and interesting facts about software companies>

Thank your for this information.

Point being that software companies in general out perform the hardware companies.
  • Reply 373 of 487
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

You bought stock on a thread? Not a good idea.
  • Reply 374 of 487
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You bought stock on a thread? Not a good idea.

Ahem:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland on page 3

It's big, let's just put it that way. I won't confirm or deny anything after saying that, as I'd give it away. I want to buy some shares first.

Now that's not to say you were contemplating buying stock based on the thread but rather it just coincided with the thread.

This may be the case with the timmillea. Rather than believing the thread that a Superbowl announcement was coming, he may have had other assumptions.

Given the hype-delivery stuff that Apple has done in the past few years, I don't think that they will have anything major. Nothing worth a $40,000 investment anyway.

The major chip developments are in Core i7 and Apple can't use the desktop versions because of their design below the Mac Pro. Core i7 is beating everything AMD have to offer by a huge margin. Core 2 Quad isn't.

Recent news suggests that retailers are listing Gainestown in stock - released last week it seems. This suggests that Mac Pros are on the way soon but they will be expensive as usual.

The Core 2 quad is ready for the high end iMac and Nvidia chipsets all round.

What I would see happening but not really what I want is the following:

Dual Core Penryn Mini, 9400M chipset, possibly higher price points with inclusion of FW800 and DVDRW standard, though maybe a low end model with neither.

Dual Core on the 20" iMac models and quads on the 24" (this makes the price jump more than just 4" of screen space).

Gainestown Mac Pro maybe leaving out the quad and having 8-core at the current quad price point.

This improves things a bit but I wouldn't say anything to get overly excited about for the following reasons:

The Mini should have been updated long ago and should have had a dedicated GPU at one point. The quad iMacs will still be priced way above PC towers as the cheapest would be £1,125. Now yes it does have a 24" LED IPS panel and if you bought a Core 2 Quad PC with that kind of panel, you'd be set back about £550 for the machine + £600 for the display if you're very lucky = £1150.

However they are glossy and you can get 24" S-PVA panels, which are pretty nice for £200-300:

http://mobileshark.com/Gateway-FPD24...oogle-GB&id=uk

Not LED backlit but you can't use LED backlit panels for a computertan.

So as is the case with the current lineup, the iMac is good value but in a way that most people wouldn't appreciate on the mid-range as well as the fact glossy defeats a lot of the advantages of the IPS panel like better viewing angles.

Then we get to the Mac Pro. This is going to be a great machine if it has 8 Core i7 cores for about £1500. If they keep the single quad at that price, not so much.

Overall, we're basically in the same leaky boat: Mini underpowered, iMac limited and overpriced for the mid-range and the Mac Pro left for people who need the most raw power and have money to get there.

The only consolation is Snow Leopard or maybe not. If it has a March release, Apple could delay hardware for 6-8 weeks so they bundle the machines with it. I suspect they will ship sooner and maybe offer free upgrades for these machines only but no event announced yet.
  • Reply 375 of 487
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Now that's not to say you were contemplating buying stock based on the thread but rather it just coincided with the thread.

Maybe it's possible I know something you don't Marvin, it is possible you know. I never said I did, but that chap pointed over to a thread when he mentioned he bought $40,000 worth. Get real. Ahem, lol.
  • Reply 376 of 487
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Marvin,

Agree with most of your post, except that Quad core cpus will only make into the 24" iMac.

The 20" iMacs should also get the quad core cpus as well, with the possible exception of the entry level iMac.

For $1500, consumers should get a Quad core machine at this time. Its pretty easy on the Windows platform. Assuming Apple keep their current price points that would mean the "better", 20" iMac would be $1500 and it should be quad core. Anything less will be a poor value and I don't know how they would be able to sell them.
  • Reply 377 of 487
    It's the MultiDimensional GUI, complete with 3D in-air hand gestures to replace the mouse / trackpad. It will include DataPad function for connecting to the Galactic Holonet complete with holographic projector and special encryption to prevent Imperial entanglements.
  • Reply 378 of 487
    You still won't be able to play Crysis on that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrJedi View Post

It's the MultiDimensional GUI, complete with 3D in-air hand gestures to replace the mouse / trackpad. It will include DataPad function for connecting to the Galactic Holonet complete with holographic projector and special encryption to prevent Imperial entanglements.

• Reply 379 of 487
    Quote:

Ummm... how's your investment doing...?
  • Reply 380 of 487
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Anything less will be a poor value and I don't know how they would be able to sell them.

Like they sell the Mac mini probably... \