Ballmer changes tune on iPhone, says no to Zune phone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Looking at sales it looks like xbox>ps3

http://www.vgchartz.com/?dg=1

*sigh* Doesn't really matter to me because with 4 young kids in the house I am stuck with the Wiitarded.

If you look at this chart, which shows sales from launch date, PS3 is selling slightly more than the Xbox360 was at a similar point in its lifespan. That said, I doubt the PS3 will ever sell more than the Xbox 360, personally, and I speak as a PS3 owner.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php
  • Reply 22 of 107
    Just goes to prove that Microsoft execs have no vision. They can only make money by changing and integrating things that already exist and using their marketing muscle to make it happen.

Windows 7 looks more like OS X than ever.
  • Reply 23 of 107
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ballmer also said he believes the market for portable media players is in decline and will be replaced with general purpose devices like the iPhone and iPod touch.

Somehow I doubt he used those two specific examples....
  • Reply 24 of 107
    I enjoy watching Ballmer eating his words, it is kind of usual when he talks about Apple in general or an specific product like the iPhone.

"Square minds lead to open failures"

• Reply 25 of 107
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

If you look at this chart, which shows sales from launch date, PS3 is selling slightly more than the Xbox360 was at a similar point in its lifespan. That said, I doubt the PS3 will ever sell more than the Xbox 360, personally, and I speak as a PS3 owner.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php

All this talk for claiming the #2 spot (and a distant one at that) is rather silly. If you like PS3 over Xbox 360 (or vice versa), that's fine. In terms of profitability (over all the investment and cost), Xbox 360 is still in the red. And the same argument applies to PS3 as well.
  • Reply 26 of 107
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

All this talk for claiming the #2 spot (and a distant one at that) is rather silly. If you like PS3 over Xbox 360 (or vice versa), that's fine. In terms of profitability (over all the investment and cost), Xbox 360 is still in the red. And the same argument applies to PS3 as well.

The difference here is that Sony cannot afford to stumble with this product. Unlike Microsoft, their automatic revenue generating products allows them to screw up big time and keep producing crap until they get it right and win the market. Most companies that loses money on products usually kills it.
  • Reply 27 of 107
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

... The XBOX was their best thing they did in a long time. ...

Technically, Microsoft stole the hardware from Sony, and the popularity of the platform is usually ascribed to the Halo franchise which they stole away from Apple by buying Bungie out from underneath them.
  • Reply 28 of 107
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This is more than just no Zune phone, this sounds very much like the Zune itself is now officially dead.

Zune software to be integrated into WinMobile and XBox and licensed to all and sundry with the actual hardware being discontinued.

In other words, let us bloat Windows and WinMobile, AND XBox even more! Yay!
  • Reply 29 of 107
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Technically, Microsoft stole the hardware from Sony, and the popularity of the platform is usually ascribed to the Halo franchise which they stole away from Apple by buying Bungie out from underneath them.

I remember I was the one who broke out this rumor and no one believed me! Everyone cried out "no way would Bungie abandon the Apple platform!" and a few days later, AI had an official report on the subject!

(for all those who do not believe me, look it up in the archives! I think that's when I went under a different name on here)
  • Reply 30 of 107
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    The PS3 is a nice bit of hardware, and the BluRay player is a nice plus (my mate got a 360, got the HD-DVD drive, the 360 RRODed, the HD-DVD drive became worthless, he bought a standalone BluRay player) that HDTV owners will take into consideration.

I couldn't really care less about PS Home and other gimmicks. The firmware is otherwise a quite nice professional system, but the 360's updated system is quite slick as well.

All in all, I feel that the PS3 is developing a software base and features base for the PS4, which should be based upon a next generation Cell and so forth. I also think that Sony might make the first games on the PS4 backwards compatible, i.e., they will run on the PS3 at 720p/30fps/medium detail, and the PS4 at 1080p/60fps/high detail, up to a point.

As for Ballmer, he has taken Microsoft nowhere. All their competitors in the mobile arena have next generation operating systems now, even Palm! The smartphone OS market is crammed - iPhone, Blackberry, Symbian, Android, Palm, Windows Mobile. Note that several of these are using Webkit for browsing, and that's giving them a significant advantage, and also next generation dev kits and UIs that make programming easier and smoother. VS is Microsoft's only star here, but the APIs are crufty and the user interface outdated with stylus design, not touch design.
  • Reply 31 of 107
    OH THE HUMANITY
  • Reply 32 of 107
    I am a devout follower of Ghandi and the Hindu mantra of treating others as you'd like to be treated. However, I must deviate for one second so I can properly call out Mr. Balllmer for the jackass that he is.

Namasté.
  • Reply 33 of 107
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

At least the Xbox is beating the pants off of the Playstation 3 so far.

In total sales, yeah. Sales numbers alone aren't a complete measure of success. The 360's sales have been flat for a while now while PS3 sales have been steadily growing. If 360 sales continue at their same pace while PS3 sales continue to grow, the PS3 could grab second place.

However, both are only fighting for scraps left by the Wii, just as Microsoft's original Xbox did with the GameCube when the PS2 took off (and is still selling quite well).
  • Reply 34 of 107
    It's been shown time and time again that Ballmer is simply out of touch with what's really going on and clearly should be replaced as CEO.

Although still a giant Microsoft is starting to lose ground and eventually it will catch up to them. They make some good products, but lack in style and well thought out user interfaces and of course marketing. This should be directly attributed to the previous CEO and now Ballmer. At least Bill Gates had passion and realized his limitations. Ballmer just seems like a crazy, ego maniac who will stick to his guns even while the ship is sinking.

Microsoft still has a chance to turn it around, but is badly in need of a change at the helm if they plan to compete in the future with the likes of Google, Apple and upstarts we've never even heard of yet.

While still a top giant in the tech industry, one can't help but notice the current direction they're heading.
  • Reply 35 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

In total sales, yeah. But the 360's sales have been flat for a while now while PS3 sales have been steadily growing. However, both are only fighting for scraps left by the Wii, just as Microsoft's original Xbox did with the GameCube when the PS2 took off (and is still selling quite well).

I totally agree. And isn't it amazing that PS2 is still selling consols.... They are still selling a lot of consols... games are still advertized for the ps2 on commericials. It is pretty crazy. Anyway yes this is true. 360 sales were in a steady decline until they dropped the price and now sales are just at a flatline where as the PS3 sales are on a steady increase and now that Sony has announced that PS3 already has the technology for 3D gaming and has showed it off at CES I think sales might continue to increase.
  • Reply 36 of 107
    Microsoft is involved in too many business lines:

1) Destkop operating systems (profitable)

2) Server operating systems (profitable)

3) Server software (profitable)

4) Office productivity software (profitable)

5) Media/MSN/MSNBC (break-even?)

6) Xbox/gaming (loss)

7) Search (break-even or loss)

8) Mobile software/Windows Mobile (loss?)

It's obviously taking its toll on the company. Microsoft needs to scale down and concentrate on its core businesses, namely the desktop and enterprise apps.
  • Reply 37 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ballmer told the Financial Times (registration required) that the iPhone and BlackBerry have "clear market momentum" in the smartphone business.

The link in the article seems to work. Unless there is more to it.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2dcdc93c-d...077b07658.html
  • Reply 38 of 107
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

In total sales, yeah. But the 360's sales have been flat for a while now while PS3 sales have been steadily growing.

However, both are only fighting for scraps left by the Wii, just as Microsoft's original Xbox did with the GameCube when the PS2 took off (and is still selling quite well).

Not true, look at the graph. They were neck and neck in weekly sales until thanksgiving, and then the 360 pulled ahead by 60% or so.

week of jan 3:

\t Japan\t America\t Others\tTotal

xbox\t19,157\t137,528\t185,309\t341,994

ps3\t68,935\t77,460\t114,467\t260,862
  • Reply 39 of 107
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

You have it with the Palm Pre but it's catch up not competition Apple needs to do.

Am I reading you right here? Are you saying that Apple needs to catch up to an announced product that is months from delivery and may be run on an even more inferior network?

I don't know the Pre, though by all accounts it is a nice piece of work for Palm*, but I think it a little premature to give them the lead at this point...

* I almost used "beleaguered" here. But I still can't see that adjective used for anyone but Apple...
  • Reply 40 of 107
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

The link in the article seems to work. Unless there is more to it.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2dcdc93c-d...077b07658.html

Good article, thanks