Paper suggests Apple's iPhone nano will ring this spring

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Lots of great thoughts on here. Many genuine possibilities.

I do think there's room for a lesser iPhone. The rumors that it is non US would seem to imply they're doing something AT&T wouldn't agree to. If true, of course.

So, we have

- iPod nano plus phone. iPod nano apps.

- iphone with smaller screen same resolution. Multi colours, less memory, no gps. Same iPhone apps. Perhaps no cell data.

- same a now but less functionality.

My first thought is remove 3g data, or think of it as upgrading the ipod touch with mic and earphone and 2g phone (smaller and cheap) - just byo sim if you want more than an iPod touch, or use as a pure voip phone.

But apple really wants to define a new type of device, so I'm not so sure. Interesting stuff.

Ps. The rumour that new iPhone firmware won't cache google maps leads me to wonder if a fully offline mapping app will be sold shortly. That makes non-3g data phone more appealing.

You're leaving out my vote, which (ahem) I think most likely: Apple brings out new models with more memory, some hardware refinements, and keeps selling the current 8 GB for $100. If they can talk AT&T into selling a limited data plan for $15 a month, more power to them, but I'm not holding my breath.

I really think the "Nano" thing is a misleading analogy, nothing more.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

So, we have

- iPod nano plus phone. iPod nano apps.

- iphone with smaller screen same resolution. Multi colours, less memory, no gps. Same iPhone apps. Perhaps no cell data.

- same a now but less functionality.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You're leaving out my vote, which (ahem) I think most likely: Apple brings out new models with more memory, some hardware refinements, and keeps selling the current 8 GB for $100.

True... they could release a cheaper iphone without much change at all.

Back to VoIP, I actually wonder if they could release a "Home-iPhone". VoIP to an Airport Extreme base station with QoS, otherwise identical functionally to an iPhone but only works in your home. The phone to replace your home phone.

AND if you take it outside it becomes an iPod Touch only... and still works when in the wild, just to wifi points.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    The simplest way to go nano is to use the current low end as a nano. The current high end will be replaced with something that has more memory, better camera, a radio and a 3D chip to drive the display so that you can play even more games from the Apple store
  • Reply 64 of 66
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

You mean flip cellular phones that have a crap Internet experience and thus you are probably not going to use it but once in a blue moon? Phones that probably don't have 3G and thus would use allot less data?

How dare AT&T charge based on how you would use the phone

No. What I mean instead of making a new device without data plan it is more reasonable for Apple to get into agreement with AT&T to offer a cheaper plan. I was also responding to someone who said that AT&T is not going to offer $15/month data plan for iPhone. I also pointing out that they don't have to because AT&T already offer $15/month data plan.

Personally, I think AT&T and Apple make a good judgement by requiring a data plan. A friend of mine who used his 1st gen iPhone without data plan was always complaining that the iPhone didn't offer him something new and he kept using his Nokia E series phone. After he subscribed to a data plan he never again used his Nokia phone and even started running his online blog from his iPhone. I think that without a data plan you are better off with an iPod Touch and a regular phone instead of signing up for a 2 year contract and getting half an iPhone.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

No. What I mean instead of making a new device without data plan it is more reasonable for Apple to get into agreement with AT&T to offer a cheaper plan. I was also responding to someone who said that AT&T is not going to offer $15/month data plan for iPhone. I also pointing out that they don't have to because AT&T already offer $15/month data plan.

Personally, I think AT&T and Apple make a good judgement by requiring a data plan. A friend of mine who used his 1st gen iPhone without data plan was always complaining that the iPhone didn't offer him something new and he kept using his Nokia E series phone. After he subscribed to a data plan he never again used his Nokia phone and even started running his online blog from his iPhone. I think that without a data plan you are better off with an iPod Touch and a regular phone instead of signing up for a 2 year contract and getting half an iPhone.

I couldn't find any $15 data plans on AT&Ts website- is it something for long term customers?
  • Reply 66 of 66
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I couldn't find any $15 data plans on AT&Ts website- is it something for long term customers?

It is kind of hidden here.