Apple to replace 17-inch MacBook Pro batteries in stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meemorize View Post

I personally don't mind having to send my apple product away though their service is insanely location dependant.

Here in New Zealand we don't even have an Apple Store, so i guess I will 'lose' my laptop for a week for a pretty simple battery replacement.

Also: You've got to love their pricing strategy, US$179 but AU$299 (~US$200) and judging by the past premium for NZ (in local retailers anyway) we'll probably end up paying ~US$250. No thanks.

By the time the battery needs replacing there will be an Apple Store in your backyard.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I dunno, but I still don't like the idea of having to go in to an Apple store, or sending your laptop away for half a week for a simple battery replacement.

not happy with losing your computer for a few days, but still not happy for a same day turnaround? you might be better off with a refurb, but i daresay would probably then want the same battery life from the old mbp as well...

Quote:

Anything to get us back into the Apple store right? "Is there anything else we can help you with?"

you can always say "No thanks, I'm not after anything else". it's not that hard to do.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Every single prediction of sales doom from the replaceable battery crowd has failed to materialize, from the iPod to the MBA, to the iPhone, and now to the MBP 17. Don't you doofuses ever get tired of being so spectacularly wrong? And while I'm at it let's add the iPhone copy-and-paste crowd to the list of doofuses.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I don't know anyone who carries a spare battery for a laptop.

You do now.

Quote:

However, if you really need it, just carry a spare MBP.

Steve and the crew saw you coming.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

My concern about the non-replaceable battery is that many working pros need to use their laptops in remote locations for more than the 5.5 hours one can reasonably expect from an "8 hour" battery. Kinda limits the usefulness of the king of MBP's for working on location.

I must say, if you lay low on the screen brightness, and don't do processor intensive tasks (I don't think people are going to render 3D in a place without power plugs now will they) Apple's posted battery life is spot on (at least for my MacBook it is)

If I go all the way and disable Bluetooth and Wireless, put screen brightness ar 5 blocks and just start doing some Word/Excel-type work, it says U have 6:30 minutes left
  • Reply 26 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I don't know anyone who carries a spare battery for a laptop. However, if you really need it, just carry a spare MBP.

So you changed a $150 or $300 option (one or two spare batteries) to a $3000 option? Smooth going. Instead of making the other side's argument look bad, you made your own argument look bad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanhauer View Post

You can't drive 2 hours once every 3-5 years? C'mon. Like others have said this is a lot to do about nothing. Is there not electricity where some of the whiners here live?

You are, in effect, whining about whining.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    People are acting like this will be the only option. Other companies will offer better prices and deals. There will also be do it yourself kits.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Somehow waiting all day for my battery to be replaced doesn't appeal to me.

If you don't live near an Apple store, then you're SOL unless you want to be without your laptop for a week and pay shipping charges on top of that $179 battery.

• Reply 28 of 44
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

I dunno, but I still don't like the idea of having to go in to an Apple store, or sending your laptop away for half a week for a simple battery replacement. It just makes me question something.

No iPods have user replaceable batteries. (Same goes for iPhone). I didn't like this idea either. But with those batteries only lasting a year or two, and a MBP17 battery lasting probably 3 years, it just means more foot traffic into the Apple store.

Anything to get us back into the Apple store right? "Is there anything else we can help you with?" While you get your battery replaced, may as well get your OS, iLife/iWork, and what ever apps you need updated too. Once you are in there doing the battery replacement, more likely to buy the upgrades too I suppose.

I dunno... just seems kinda weird and not in the good way.

On another note, how come the lines to the genius bar are so long often filled up within the first few hours of the day? I see so many dead products come back to the Apple store... and I see a lot of replacement products head out too... Just something to notice.

I replaced the battery in my iPod for $29. I would never attempt to open an iPhone, would rather have Apple handle that one. Who cares if it means foot traffic into an Apple Store. At least they are nice to visit.

Genius bars are full because they are generally filled with people that made APPOINTMENTS ahead of time. Since you claim to see so many dead products come back to the Apple Store, I guess you must enjoy visiting them often, so why would it bother you to go back to have them replace a battery?
  • Reply 29 of 44
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    $179 is a bargain for a new replacement battery. That's only $50 more than the replaceable battery (all current MacBooks and Pros), and you are getting much more of a battery. I have a PowerBook G4 15" Ti that is 6 years old, mint condition, and I have replaced the battery once, and that was last year. I used the battery whenever I was in a spot that provided no power. Other times, I always found a place to plug in, which is what most people do as well. Others have confirmed that they bought an extra battery because they thought it was a great idea, but then discovered they never used it, and hated lugging it around.

I would much rather have a built-in battery that Apple could replace at any time with minimal inconvience (a trip to an Apple Store), that provides more power, and makes the laptop much more durable when being moved around. I am sure the 17" is rock solid with the solid bottom cover. No one seems to be complaining about the MacBook Air's battery.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

So you changed a $150 or $300 option (one or two spare batteries) to a $3000 option? Smooth going. Instead of making the other side's argument look bad, you made your own argument look bad.

Ummm...it's called a joke.

And, really, what is so wrong about questioning having more than one computer. Working in the computer service area I too often find it funny that so many people that are running their own business

1. Do not backup their data and

2. Run their entire business off of a single computer.

Their business is not worth a $200 external hard disk or a cheap $300-$500 computer, just to get you through until your main machine gets a repair finished. Do you really believe someone buying a 17" MacBook Pro only has 1 computer?

What if FedEx only had one delivery truck?
  • Reply 31 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Ummm...it's called a joke.

I suppose it could be, I'd like to see that confirmed. Even if it is, it doesn't look like a good one.

Quote:

And, really, what is so wrong about questioning having more than one computer. Working in the computer service area I too often find it funny that so many people that are running their own business

1. Do not backup their data and

2. Run their entire business off of a single computer.

Their business is not worth a $200 external hard disk or a cheap $300-$500 computer, just to get you through until your main machine gets a repair finished. Do you really believe someone buying a 17" MacBook Pro only has 1 computer?

What if FedEx only had one delivery truck?

Having more than one computer doesn't mean carrying them both around at the same time to run one after the other runs dry, so your examples just don't apply.

Backups of data is a good idea, but that doesn't require having more than one computer. Even with Firewire target mode, backing up one computer to another isn't as convenient as just backing up to another hard drive.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I suppose it could be, I'd like to see that confirmed. Even if it is, it doesn't look like a good one.

Having more than one computer doesn't mean carrying them both around at the same time to run one after the other runs dry, so your examples just don't apply.

Backups of data is a good idea, but that doesn't require having more than one computer. Even with Firewire target mode, backing up one computer to another isn't as convenient as just backing up to another hard drive.

Anytime my firm goes to give a presentation to a potential client we carry a second computer, just in case the one doesn't work, not unheard of at all, I've seen it quite often, when it means nailing the presentation for a multi-million dollar project, the extra $3000 seems like small change....
  • Reply 33 of 44
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Anything to get us back into the Apple store right? "Is there anything else we can help you with?" While you get your battery replaced, may as well get your OS, iLife/iWork, and what ever apps you need updated too. Once you are in there doing the battery replacement, more likely to buy the upgrades too I suppose.

The reality of it folks is that by the time the battery wears out, you'll most likely end up purchasing a new laptop anyways. It will take about 2-3 years for it to start going bad.

People here seem to think that batteries on laptops (especially modern laptops) have to be replaced all the time. I have never had to purchase a new battery for any of my laptops (both Mac & non-Mac). After a few years, the battery form-factor so old that they are were usually no longer available.

Honestly, this is a non-issue for the majority-percentage of users. Stop spinning this subject to be bigger than it really is.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

Anything to get us back into the Apple store right?

People seem to be treating Apple as if they are a public service that shouldnt be trying to make profit or drum up new business. At the end of the day they are a business and they are trying to make money. Plus the apple store is quite a nice experience.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The reality of it folks is that by the time the battery wears out, you'll probably end up purchasing a new laptop anyways. It will take probably 2-3 years for it to start going bad.

People seem to think that batteries on laptops (especially modern laptops) have to be replaced all the time. I have never had to purchase a new battery for any of my laptops (both Mac & non-Mac). After a few years, they became so old from a technical standpoint that they were usually no longer available.

Honestly, this is a non-issue for the majority percentage of users. Stop spinning this subject to be bigger than it really is.

I bought a 15" Powerbook G4 Ti 500mhz when they were new. That model occupied the same position in the lineup as the 17" does today. I have been using it for 8 years, not the 2-3 year time frame you seem to think is the norm.

I had a spare battery for it from new. Within two years, both batteries had only about a third of their stated capacity I would estimate. I now know why.

The problem with sealing away lithium batteries is that the technology is utter crap and has been misrepresented on a large scale.

Their touted energy density/capacity is entirely illusory, because if you deep discharge them - ie take advantage of the supposedly high capacity - you damage them such that they no longer have that capacity. If you care to look at the wikipedia article on Lithium ion batteries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery

You will find a little gem of a recommendation regarding their use in laptops:

Quote:

* When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, the battery should be removed,[40] and stored in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.

The other major problem you will find with the wretched things is that their capacity starts to degrade permanently as soon as they are made. A 20% loss per year at 25 degrees C is pretty woeful if you ask me.

I have experienced this permanent capacity degradation with every product I have owned which include them. My 3rd generation iPod was down to barely 90 minutes of usable capacity after just two years. I have had the same problem with phones and Laptops.

Sealing these batteries away is an incredible disservice to users, but Apple don't seem to care about those idiots these days as they are so far up their own back passages admiring their aesthetic creations they no longer can see them.

If the battery in your car was sealed away so that you had to take it to a dealer to have it replaced every three years and then it cost $180 a time, or that shipping the car to the dealer and being without it for a week or so was the alternative, would you be happy with that?

I really can't get my head around the coterie of Apple sycophants who seem to think these impositions on users for the sake of minor aesthetic considerations is acceptable, or even a wonderful idea in some cases.

These sycophants, not surprisingly, all seem to live in major cities in the US and don't have the imagination or experience to appreciate that any other life situation is possible.

There are some 500 million people in the EU, and only a very small percentage of them would live anywhere remotely near an Apple store. I live in Ireland. When my first iPod carked it, It had to be shipped to the Netherlands for repair/replacement. That took three weeks round trip, not 3 days. Having to post off a laptop to have the battery replaced is unthinkable to me.

I am fairly technically adept myself, having reduced my Powerbook to it's constituant parts and reassembled it again on a couple of occasions and fitted a replacement battery to my iPod, even though it required filling down the motherboard and removing most of the insulating tape from the battery.

I have even been miles from anywhere in the Australian outback and have removed a punctured tyre from it's rim, repaired it and got it back on just using a couple of screwdrivers, something I would enjoy watching Virgil, the esteemed pilot of Thunderbird 2 accomplish. Virgil, I don't know how to break the news to you - there doesn't seem to be a gentle way - but Virgil was just a dummy.

The fact I could DIY a battery replacement does not diminish the fact of the hassle involved or that sealing such batteries away should be regarded as a technically deficient design decision.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Sealing these batteries away is an incredible disservice to users, but Apple don't seem to care about those idiots these days as they are so far up their own back passages admiring their aesthetic creations they no longer can see them.

I am not sure what your problem is.

First of all sflocal ended his comment with, "Honestly, this is a non-issue for the majority percentage of users. Stop spinning this subject to be bigger than it really is." So your comments to him seem overkill.

Secondly, you seem to think that you won't be able to replace the battery yourself. Based on your contended 'mechanical' abilities, it would appear that a few 'watch-maker' screw drivers in your boot would suffice.

Thirdly, I don't contend that you don't or didn't, but Apple has well documented battery care, storage and calibration direction documents that for the life of me, are well pointed out but rarely followed.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    I have lost track of the number of Mac laptop batteries I have had to replace over the years. Most were recalled and at least one recalled battery was the subject of another recall. If (and only IF) these new batteries do not have to be recalled, replacement, with shipping and insurance, may be worth more than the computer itself. Whoever came up with the idea of making a device 1 mm thinner at the cost of crippling it was an idiot. Btw, isn't funny that a few days after the Palm Pre was announced the Apple store now allows competitive browsers to be downloaded? The Palm Pre is what the iPhone should have been, with a much better UI and the advantages of both a touch interface AND a qwerty keyboard. Of course it has copy & paste AND a user-replaceable battery!
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Well lots of people do though.

I have lived in some pretty isolated places in North America, and I have never been

somewhere where I have needed to drive for two hours to get work done on my

car (not counting the Coast Guard station in the middle of nowhere). I suspect

that the vast majority of North American car owners live within about a half-hour drive

of a decent garage.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toysandme View Post

Btw, isn't funny that a few days after the Palm Pre was announced the Apple store now allows competitive browsers to be downloaded? The Palm Pre is what the iPhone should have been, with a much better UI and the advantages of both a touch interface AND a qwerty keyboard. Of course it has copy & paste AND a user-replaceable battery!

Actually, iPhone Tech Talk showed how to develop web browsers last year.

As for the Palm Pre, go for it. You deserve one.

P.S. Four posts and all anti-Apple. Keep up the good work…somewhere else.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanhauer View Post

You can't drive 2 hours once every 3-5 years? C'mon. Like others have said this is a lot to do about nothing. Is there not electricity where some of the whiners here live? I mean how hard is it to buy a $40 car power inverter from Best Buy if you're really going to be on the road? Every where I go there are these awesome little things called "electrical outlets".

I don't know about you, but I do not use m Macbook Pro in my car when I travel. I use it in aeroports, where there is often a lack of plugs. I use it in meetings that can last all day, and there is often a lack of plugs. I use it on aeroplanes, which often lack power outlets. The need for an easy-to-swap battery is very real for people who actually do use their notebooks when they

travel. Replacing batteries every few years in not a bit issue, but the need to get more than five ours of usage while on battery power is. I have not tried the new Macbook Pro. If the battery really does last eight hours with airport running and several applications open then there is not going to be much of a problem for most people. However, if it only lasts five or so hours then this is going to be a problem under real-world usage conditions.