Palm: OS X is too FAT to run well on phones

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The 2.0 update I agree their was a lot of keyboard lag. But that's mostly been solved with the updates. I wouldn't say this is a common problem, it depends on what you are doing at the time. If you are running an intensive app and suddenly switch to a typing app. Then yeah their can be some lag until the system catches up.

Even the main OS X has keyboard lag at times.

The transitions annoy me, I could really do without them.

Quote:

This is likely because OS X has binaries for both x86 and PPC.

I doubt it. I don't think the code for "other" architecture loads into RAM. That's supposed to stay on the hard drive.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Yeah but this is Microsoft we are talking about. They basically tried to shrink the desktop into small mobile devices which simply doesn't work. Palm is taking a different approach with their WebOS platform and how they handle multitasking on tiny devices......in this case cell phones.

I say in this case because wouldn't it be cool if WebOS came out on other devices say like MIDs, netbooks, and UMPCs.

OS X: "Get out of my way noob!"

WebOS: "HAHA shut up fatboy!"

No they didn't - you are comparing the GUI which they did try to shrink. Windows CE is a ground-up new OS they wrote especially for mobile devices. The kernel itself has little if nothing in common with desktop. The libs on top are quite different too.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    It will be interesting to see just how soon the Pre hits the streets. Tim Cook alluded to the fact that Apple would not stand by and let someone rip off their patents.

Wonder who they are talking about?
  • Reply 24 of 33
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

No they didn't - you are comparing the GUI which they did try to shrink. Windows CE is a ground-up new OS they wrote especially for mobile devices. The kernel itself has little if nothing in common with desktop. The libs on top are quite different too.

Well I dare say I think Palm has done a much better job at creating a mobile OS with a well thought out GUI than MSFT did. And I dare say its a better job than Apple did too.

*prepares to be flamed*
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac View Post

It will be interesting to see just how soon the Pre hits the streets. Tim Cook alluded to the fact that Apple would not stand by and let someone rip off their patents.

Wonder who they are talking about?

See, I hope this happens.....I mean Apple going after the Pre. Why?

Because then finally the general public will get to shed their ignorance concerning a group of technologies known collectively as "multitouch" and Apple's particular implementation of such technologies which happens to be known and trademarked as "multi-touch".

WebOS does not run Apple's "multi-touch" but their own brand of multitouch. I think it would be less confusing if Apple had decided to name their implementation of multitouch..."french fries".

Its sort of like Ford coming out with a new sedan and deciding to name it the....."auto-mobile".

I will put a dollar down that says Apple would loose this one in court. Any takers?
  • Reply 26 of 33
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You have to acknowledge that webOS follows the basic UI conventions that Apple pioneered with the iPhone. Has Palm improved on those conventions remains to be seen.

We've only seen demonstrations of software that looks promising but has not yet been widely used. It may or may not work as well as advertised. On the same token by the time webOS is released Apple will have added updates to the iPhone.

Quote:

Well I dare say I think Palm has done a much better job at creating a mobile OS with a well thought out GUI than MSFT did. And I dare say its a better job than Apple did too.

*prepares to be flamed*

• Reply 27 of 33
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    This will all be moot anyway. By the time the pre comes out, Apple will have the next tour de force and bury the palm. Not that this is what I want, but all these announcements by companies in the hopes of killing the iPhone (used to be the iPod) only show how far Apple is ahead in this space. You can't just copy, you gotta leap AHEAD! Go where Apple hasn't thought of going yet. Thats when this will all get interesting.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You have to acknowledge that webOS follows the basic UI conventions that Apple pioneered with the iPhone. Has Palm improved on those conventions remains to be seen.

We've only seen demonstrations of software that looks promising but has not yet been widely used. It may or may not work as well as advertised. On the same token by the time webOS is released Apple will have added updates to the iPhone.

Some things look great in demo but don't actually translate well to daily life for everyone.

I'm not really going to buy into the Pre hype until I see a bunch of reviews. It wasn't too long ago that the Blackberry Storm was the "iPhone Killer" and it looked great on TV but when industry Teddybear David Pogue slams your product you know you have issues.

The Pre has to be battle tested.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

See, I hope this happens.....I mean Apple going after the Pre. Why?

Because then finally the general public will get to shed their ignorance concerning a group of technologies known collectively as "multitouch" and Apple's particular implementation of such technologies which happens to be known and trademarked as "multi-touch".

WebOS does not run Apple's "multi-touch" but their own brand of multitouch. I think it would be less confusing if Apple had decided to name their implementation of multitouch..."french fries".

Its sort of like Ford coming out with a new sedan and deciding to name it the....."auto-mobile".

I will put a dollar down that says Apple would loose this one in court. Any takers?

What basis do you have to asset that the Pre is running its "own brand of multi-touch"?

You've seen a trade show demo. IP hinges on a bit more than a few videos released by the company.

I'm not saying that Apple will sue Palm or that they have a case if they did, I'm saying that what Palm has or has not appropriated from Apple that could be actionable is pretty hard to discern, from here.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What basis do you have to asset that the Pre is running its "own brand of multi-touch"?

You've seen a trade show demo. IP hinges on a bit more than a few videos released by the company.

I'm not saying that Apple will sue Palm or that they have a case if they did, I'm saying that what Palm has or has not appropriated from Apple that could be actionable is pretty hard to discern, from here.

Which I guess would be a good reason for this lawsuit to happen. Everyone on the planet who is interested in this stuff would have a front row seat in the class to learn about this stuff we'll know the entire history of the technology and all the scientists (besides the fingerworks team who did Apple's multitouch) who contributed to multipoint touchscreen input technology.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac View Post

This will all be moot anyway. By the time the pre comes out, Apple will have the next tour de force and bury the palm. Not that this is what I want, but all these announcements by companies in the hopes of killing the iPhone (used to be the iPod) only show how far Apple is ahead in this space. You can't just copy, you gotta leap AHEAD! Go where Apple hasn't thought of going yet. Thats when this will all get interesting.

Thing is if you examine the Palm Pre's WebOS ces keynote demo you would realize that in some respects Palm has indeed leapt ahead. Just try to do any of the major functions of the iphone with one hand for any length of time and see how comfortable that is for you.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

Which I guess would be a good reason for this lawsuit to happen. Everyone on the planet who is interested in this stuff would have a front row seat in the class to learn about this stuff we'll know the entire history of the technology and all the scientists (besides the fingerworks team who did Apple's multitouch) who contributed to multipoint touchscreen input technology.

I doubt any legal action would proceed to a trial in open court that involved public revelations of trade secrets.

If Apple, or Palm for that matter, has a case to make, I would imagine we would hear of an unspecified settlement amount, with either licensing or revisions to software to follow.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

Thing is if you examine the Palm Pre's WebOS ces keynote demo you would realize that in some respects Palm has indeed leapt ahead. Just try to do any of the major functions of the iphone with one hand for any length of time and see how comfortable that is for you.

Possibly, but I'm guessing that patents aren't generally circumvented by "is easier to use with one hand."