Apple confronts Wired over Mac OS X netbook hacking tutorial

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danvid36 View Post

For a grand total of $524.99 I have a heck of a machine that runs both systems more than adequately. Why can't Apple do this???The market is there and I would gladly pay a little more for such a netbook if they decided to make one.

They said they don't know how to make a computer that price that doesn't suck. I would say they better start learning quick.

Like I say, they won't admit they were wrong. Jobs stood on stage and said they made the MBA with different compromises from other ultra-portables. If they make a low cost Atom-based netbook, it's like them saying they made the wrong choices the first time.

If they sell a $500 netbook, who is going to buy a Macbook Air? It will also cut into Macbook sales.

Switching the chips from Core 2 Duo in the Macbook to Atom saves just $150-200. Assuming the same display and parts as the aluminium Macbook, this only goes to $999. Take out the optical drive, $849.

This is at least where the Macbook Air should have been - below the Macbook - but it's not far enough to compete with netbooks.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

One major update from Apple and... BOOM! There goes your garbage hackintosh... The Mac experience will never be complete without a REAL Mac.

LOL, it's ironic that I sit here reading this while waiting for Brown Santa to drop off my new MSI Wind. I get the REAL Mac experience on my Mac Pro, iMac & iPods. I want something small to take around when I go on vacation that I'm not paranoid of losing and I don't want to blow $1000-$2500 on another Apple product that isn't quite what I need.

This thread is Rated Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
  • Reply 43 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveITinAK View Post

LOL, it's ironic that I sit here reading this while waiting for Brown Santa to drop off my new MSI Wind. I get the REAL Mac experience on my Mac Pro, iMac & iPods. I want something small to take around when I go on vacation that I'm not paranoid of losing and I don't want to blow $1000-$2500 on another Apple product that isn't quite what I need.

This thread is Rated Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I'd say that running OS X on my Wind is pretty damn close to the "real" deal. As long as I wait until a customized upgrade comes up ( point releases) which only takes a few days, I don't have a problem. Same with my Hack Pro running Kalyway. Dual 2.33 DC Xeons, 6Gb RAM, 4 Raptor drives plus a nice 500Gb TM drive and a SATA DL burner,7600GS video card

and PCI FW and wireless N card, X7DAL-E Supermicro board and M-Audio Mobile Pre sound card plus alu keyboard and wireless mouse driving a 24"Dell LCD. All of that for less than $2000.00 which is really good even considering that I built it all myself.

That thing runs Leopard and XP Pro x64/Opensolaris like nobody's business. This is the kind of tower we need.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    I am not an advocate of piracy (I'm actually a developer), and while I'm sure a large portion of the OSX86 crowd are using pirate copies of OSX, I don't think Apple has any legal footing to stand on.. Although I am not sure if torrent trackers have successfully been sued for solely linking to copyrighted material (which is absurd considering it is just information... Like giving someone the street address to a retailer that is known to sell pirate DVDs in Chinatown...)

Regardless, Apple could greatly fix this situation and make more money in the process by just giving people what they want! They need to just release a freaking normal desktop computer... ~2.6Ghz Nehalem, 4GB DDR3, ATI 48xx, Dual harddrives, FW800, etc.. For god sakes what is their deal?? Not everyone wants an all-in-one with laptop parts or a DP workstation!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

The part when he tells you about the site to go to to get the hacked copy of OS-X is illegal AFAIK. He is advising people on how to get

around the copy protection and/or how to get a copy of the hacked OS.

Your first statement may have some validity to it, but I'm not sure because I haven't seen the link. To me it would seem even if the link is a direct pointer to a modified version of OSX, it should be the downloaders responsibility to have a valid license... This goes back to the torrent tracker argument,

Regardless if they are pirating it, I don't think just linking to data or information that happens to be copy protected should open you to lawsuits or criminal complaints.

As far as your statement about "advising people on how to get around the copy protection" -- again, this is just information which is a freedom of speech issue. providing the cracking software wouldn't be, but describing the process or telling people about a program they can find online to do it is not illegal/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

And will everyone quit bitching about Apple not making OSX freely licensed. Its their right as a private company to do what they wish. If you to change that, buy a billion shares and become a board member.

In this case, it is their rights to not license OSX, but you say that as if any private company is free to do whatever they want in the world.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

So if I break into your house and steal all your stuff, it's your fault for not having a better lock on the door?

That is so far off the mark it is not even funny. referencing information provided by a 3rd party versus breaking and entering and burglary?? Puh-lease...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You are confused. This has nothing to do with free speech, and everything to do with copyright infringement and promoting the use of illegally hacked software.

"promoting the use of illegally hacked software" is not illegal.. either is promoting recreational drug use, street racing, etc.. Except maybe promoting terrorism or something...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

How different is this from posting a video teaching someone how to smoke pot and where to buy it? It is illegal. End of story.

?? Since when is teaching someone how to smoke pot illegal? Or telling them what part of town to buy it? You have to be kidding me.... You really think that is illegal??