Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Are most people using credit?

Or saving up as much as possible?

Or are a bit wealthy?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I use Mini's. Only about $1000 after I get done with configuring. I'm a simple user. I save. If I were to buy a PowerMac or something more expensive I would consider using the 90 day same as cash, but only if I new for sure I'd have the whole thing paid off in 89 days!
  • Reply 2 of 32
    save ... pay cash

Now I'll try to avoid preaching
  • Reply 3 of 32
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I managed to go for about a year with a company loaned Black MacBook Core 2. (I was working for an Apple reseller). Previously, savings, then went savings went, a little bit of savings from government unemployment payments. Now, savings again!

There was a period of financial mismanagement when I was blowing way too much money on Apple stuff ... maxing out my credit card. That was bad, that was in 2003-2004. In the past four years as I mentioned I've used instead savings, or, luckily, working for an Apple reseller where sometimes I get to set up new demo Macs which feeds the craving just a little.

I have enough put away for 0.5 of a Mac Mini ... excluding the resale value of my MacBook Core(1) "Yonah" 2ghz.

Hopefully through this year I will be able to save a bit more for a Mac Mini / MacBook Alu/ iMac 20" which I can afford from savings and trading in / selling 2nd hand my MacBook.

My white MacBook Core(1) is doing alright, 2GB RAM and a 7200rpm drive. Surprisingly adequate. Though the 3 year Applecare runs out in May, so after it runs out I am kind of hoping something goes wrong so I can justify a new Mac ...

I just have some cravings for gaming, I want to set up a dual 9800 GT in SLI -- a gaming PC. But to deal with Vista 64bit, though interesting, and then installing/buying games, then lugging around a heavy, noisy PC box... The Xbox360 is looking attractive although it has its own negative qualities...!
  • Reply 4 of 32
    I probably save up WAY too much money. I never ever want to be in debt to a credit card, and I've always made all my payments on time. Basically I don't spend money I don't have. Started looking into what computer I wanted towards the end of 2007 and finally decided on the $1300 white Macbook (ordered off Amazon to save on shipping and tax) when they updated them in Spring '08. I love it : ) When my crappy non-iPod mp3 players stopped working, I went and got a 120 gig iPod classic.. I think I at a Best Buy cause I didn't want to wait. Around the same time I lost my Razr (thought it was gone forever and tbh I was glad to be rid of it) and got an iPhone two months earlier than when I had planned to have to get one. Oh and during all this time I slowly turned my Macbook into a desktop config, got it a cooling pad cause it gets WAY too hot, got a Logitech v470 cause I don't like trackpads, the Apple bluetooth keyboard and a very nice Samsung 22" monitor. I also use my home theatre as speakers for it.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

Are most people using credit?

Or saving up as much as possible?

Or are a bit wealthy?

I beg and whine at my wife until she relents and lets me buy a toy.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    This thread's a joke, right? Even if I had a billion dollars I wouldn't throw any of it away on a Mac with stuff I don't need that costs twice as much as a similar PC. In fact I might use the money to short Apple stock.

Hey, maybe that's how I can afford one!
  • Reply 8 of 32
    As a student, I can tell you how to get by doing this without being a doctor , engineer or lawyer like some people might be:

1) Don't eat lunch outside - ever, or at least try to limit yourself to going out once or twice a week

2) If you drive a car to college, stop, invest in transit

3) Get a job. Being a TA or invigilator usually pays well (in Canada) (around the order of $28.96/hr

4) Wait. Most laptops should last throughout university, so do exactly that - use the laptop as much as you can before you buy another - when the old one gets too slow to open lecture notes properly, then you may want to ditch the old one.

5) Apply for Scholarships (or if in Canada, use OSAP - a portion of it is supposed to be for laptops)

Now, the first two may seem like you should live your life like a hippie, but I'm sure if you ask some of our european friends here on Appleinsider, they'll tell you that this isn't a wacky lifestyle - just a sensible one and more environmentally friendly.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

This thread's a joke, right? Even if I had a billion dollars I wouldn't throw any of it away on a Mac with stuff I don't need that costs twice as much as a similar PC.

Have you wandered into the wrong forum?
  • Reply 10 of 32
    don't feed the troll!
  • Reply 11 of 32
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by houseley View Post

Have you wandered into the wrong forum?

No, I just have waiting-too-long-for-mac-mini update syndrome.

I do not know why the rest of you are not up in arms about this. This situation with the Mini is not the same old news. Do most of you understand the gravity of what's going on here? Macs are premium products, but when have they ever gone 18 months without an update or price drop?

Since when is that acceptable?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

No, I just have waiting-too-long-for-mac-mini update syndrome.

I do not know why the rest of you are not up in arms about this. This situation with the Mini is not the same old news. Do most of you understand the gravity of what's going on here? Macs are premium products, but when have they ever gone 18 months without an update or price drop?

Since when is that acceptable?

It's acceptable as long as people continue to buy what you describe as premium products that have gone without an update or price drop in 18 months.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    I built mine.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    i Buy one save some money and upgrade it a bit and sell it off.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    I'm 18, and bought a 24" iMac about 3 months ago.

I constantly saved. I sat down one day and made a budget, including my bills, some play money, food etc. and set aside a certain amount of money weekly for my computer.

My "play money", if there was any left over at the end of the week, it goes into the iMac fund, along with the cash I was setting aside to begin with.

Then i just started over the next week.

it took me roughly 6-7 months, but now I'm using my iMac with no regrets, and no debt either
  • Reply 16 of 32
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Option 4?

Theft?
  • Reply 17 of 32
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Option 5

TARP funds.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    itronitron Posts: 13member
    I might use the money to short Apple stock.

I paid for mine with some of my AAPL profits.

Bought call options when I first started hearing the word

'IPOD' everywhere I turned.

Tripled my money in about 18 months.

Thanks Apple !!
  • Reply 19 of 32
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    I work and make good money and pay cash. My next one will be paid for by work though. I have my own slush fund I can stimulate the economy with.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by itron View Post

I might use the money to short Apple stock.

It's hard to short apple and make money. Short Goldman Sachs if you want to make money shoring. (well don't short it any more)