Apple Store Down...new products? what?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello everyone...I just noticed that the apple store is down....what do you think it's going to be for a new product?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Welcome to AI.

You're new, so you probably don't know that they don't want new threads started about the Store being down. The Store goes down from time to time for routine maintenance, so there would be lots of false alarms if we called out every time. If you want to mention the Store's being down in an existing thread, that's fine. We can always hope that something is coming!

Edit: I added this part after the post below at 6:22. Had I wanted to, I could have deleted everything in the message and re-written it. Now you know!
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Welcome to AI.

You're new, so you probably don't know that they don't want new threads started about the Store being down. The Store goes down from time to time for routine maintenance, so there would be lots of false alarms if we called out every time. If you want to mention the Store's being down in an existing thread, that's fine. We can always hope that something is coming!

Dear Bergermeister,

Thank you for the tip...how do I delete the threads than?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    You can't delete a thread once it is started. You can edit messages you have posted and delete all the info in the message, but the message itself will still be there; see my message above to see my edit.

Don't worry about it and just let the thread be. If the moderators want to they will delete it, but sometimes they don't. Eventually, the thread will slip down the list and virtually disappear.

Anyway, welcome again to AI; hope you enjoy it.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    In this case it may be justified as there is evidence to suggest big changes are coming today:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...nsumption.html

http://www.dvhardware.net/article32627.html

Price cuts on Xeons and new low powered quad cores with 65W TDPs that can go in the consumer line. Both on 18th January.

Credit cards at the ready for new Mac Minis.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Whatever it is, it has to be something that doesn't justify a media event.

It's interesting to note that the product that was announced at MacWorld (17" MacBook Pro) hasn't shipped yet. If Apple were about to announce a new product today, chances are they would also have pre-announced it at the MacWorld Expo and benefitted from the media coverage.

So chances are it isn't a major new product announcement... rather price tweaks to existing lines or something that wouldn't fill-out a media event (like the rest of the LED Cinema Displays getting fleshed out).

Does that make any sense?
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Whatever it is, it has to be something that doesn't justify a media event.

It's back up with no noticeable change. Big surprise.

They've updated models before without events for just spec bumps but hopefully there will be some enclosure redesigns and they should probably get a press event.

When was the last time someone other than Jobs co-ordinated such an event?
  • Reply 7 of 25
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I've never seen a spec bump over the weekend, but it sometimes the store does briefly go down the weekend before and update that coming week.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    And a new mini as Marvin is hoping for wouldn't even be a spec bump. It would be a whole new machine. I don't think Apple would just quietly slide something that important in on a Sunday with no fanfare.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Credit cards at the ready for new...

anything.

• Reply 10 of 25
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    It would have been 1:00 AM Sunday in Cupertino when the store was down. Sounds like automatic maintenance to me.

Have they ever updated anything on a Sunday? I thought it was Tuesdays we were supposed to be looking at.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Yup, its always on a Tuesday it seems, and if there's an event, they usually let people know by the previous Wednesday. So in other words, I wouldn't expect anything this Tuesday either.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Oh my god, the Mac Mini is... now shipping with Leopard.

Still reading hackintosh sites.

This article from WSJ strikes me personally as off-base regarding class signaling. I'm not into that in general and I certainly don't want to buy a Mac for that reason, but finally someone in the press is addressing the fact that what used to be a price gap between Macs and PCs is now a gulf. Macs now cost twice as much.

Is everyone hearing this? Twice as much for the same hardware. Can OS X really be that good? Or Vista that bad? I'm quite skeptical.

Quote:

In this case it may be justified as there is evidence to suggest big changes are coming today:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...nsumption.html

http://www.dvhardware.net/article32627.html

Price cuts on Xeons and new low powered quad cores with 65W TDPs that can go in the consumer line. Both on 18th January.

Credit cards at the ready for new Mac Minis.

Those 64W Quads are still desktop chips, which Apple will not use for some reason. Given the premium on the lower power requirements, I thought Apple might have ordered them, but they seem to be in response to AMDs chips which have already been out for half a year, as the article mentions.

No, I'm afraid it'll be Ion-Mini-City, and delayed until Spring.

Really is Vista SP1 that bad?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

This article from WSJ strikes me personally as off-base regarding class signaling. I'm not into that in general and I certainly don't want to buy a Mac for that reason, but finally someone in the press is addressing the fact that what used to be a price gap between Macs and PCs is now a gulf. Macs now cost twice as much.

Is everyone hearing this? Twice as much for the same hardware. Can OS X really be that good? Or Vista that bad? I'm quite skeptical.

Windows 7 at least can't be all that bad given how much they've ripped from OS X. The hardware has always put me off but I saw a nice Packard Bell, which I found ironic it was called the iMax (perhaps a subtle dig at Apple) at 2/3 the cost of the base iMac and included a display:

http://www.packardbell.co.uk/product...p-28-1369.html

I actually prefer that design to the Mac Pro too and benchmarks suggest that CPU is 80-90% the performance of the quad Mac Pro, which happens to be 3 times the price without a display.

Quote:

Those 64W Quads are still desktop chips, which Apple will not use for some reason. Given the premium on the lower power requirements, I thought Apple might have ordered them, but they seem to be in response to AMDs chips which have already been out for half a year, as the article mentions.

No, I'm afraid it'll be Ion-Mini-City, and delayed until Spring.

I think there is a possibility for an Ion Mini but very low. The question then is, if they are going to use Core 2 Duos, why haven't they updated them already? We know Apple want you to buy iMacs by the way they treat the Mini and they would never allow the Mini to take any presence over their favorite machine. Trouble is, the iMac needs a quad core to be worth the money now and the only one that can even have a hope of fitting in is the ones released today.

It's not going to make any difference though because it's still a 65W TDP (these numbers are just what Intel use, the actual value may be different) and although the iMac can handle 55W at least as shown by the 3.06GHz version, it's going to sit at the highest end of the iMac lineup. In other words, still 2.5 times what an equivalent PC hardware has. In fact it's not even equivalent as the PCs have quad 2.66 GHz whereas the Q9000 is 2GHz.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:

Windows 7 at least can't be all that bad given how much they've ripped from OS X. The hardware has always put me off but I saw a nice Packard Bell, which I found ironic it was called the iMax (perhaps a subtle dig at Apple) at 2/3 the cost of the base iMac and included a display:

http://www.packardbell.co.uk/product...p-28-1369.html

I actually prefer that design to the Mac Pro too and benchmarks suggest that CPU is 80-90% the performance of the quad Mac Pro, which happens to be 3 times the price without a display.

I actually like it as well. The case is plastic, so it might feel kind of cheap, but I'd likely stick it under my desk, so who cares. If it had a quad, and a better graphics card (one with 2 dvi ports) I'd buy one and try to load OSX on it. That'd pretty much be what I want (aside from the fact that its not Apple).
  • Reply 15 of 25
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

Interesting article. The guy has 5 computers at home, all of them macs less than 2 years old (his family "switched" two years ago), and now he's bought a sixth. Yet he laments the "death or thrift"? WTF?

Quote:

Vista is pretty irritating. It's not bad, but it constantly bugs you. Windows 7 seems better, but this is still an early beta, so we can only guess at the final product.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by synp View Post

Interesting article. The guy has 5 computers at home, all of them macs less than 2 years old (his family "switched" two years ago), and now he's bought a sixth. Yet he laments the "death or thrift"? WTF?

Vista is pretty irritating. It's not bad, but it constantly bugs you. Windows 7 seems better, but this is still an early beta, so we can only guess at the final product.

I think a family with 6 computers (which isn't really uncommon today with two parents and 3 to 4 children) certainly should be looking at thrift for computers. My biggest beef with a Steve jobs personified Apple is this ethos that a computers form factor is so cool its worth jettison sound engineering and design. The Macbook was prima fascie this pathology coming to light. It's a USB only notebook that is clad in aluminum...big deal. It signals a disconnect with Apple who constantly finds itself taking consumer products upscale and thus clashing with their premium product (Macbook Pro and Mac Pro)

I hope Apple can fix their current rectal/cranial inversion. For chrissakes their sitting on 20+ billion in cash and they're failing to deliver an update to a popular switchers computer?? That's stupidity.

Please Apple take the hint ...after yet "another" recession people are looking closely at their monthly expenditures and deciding on keeping or deleting expenses that don't add enough value.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

My biggest beef with a Steve jobs personified Apple is this ethos that a computers form factor is so cool its worth jettison sound engineering and design. The Macbook was prima fascie this pathology coming to light. It's a USB only notebook that is clad in aluminum...big deal. It signals a disconnect with Apple who constantly finds itself taking consumer products upscale and thus clashing with their premium product (Macbook Pro and Mac Pro)

I'm not a notebook user, but I was impressed with the ability to pick up the unibody Macbooks with one hand by the corner and not feel that it was bending or that parts inside were going to come loose. It feels very solid and I'd have to think that would extend its useful life.

But you're right. I wouldn't be surprised if Jobs was ignoring the Mini because he didn't like the way it looked anymore. Bummer..

Quote:

I hope Apple can fix their current rectal/cranial inversion. For chrissakes their sitting on 20+ billion in cash and they're failing to deliver an update to a popular switchers computer?? That's stupidity.

It's insanity when you look at it in context. The last Mini update was unannounced (it was mentioned during a Q&A), underwhelming, and a full year after the previous. No mid-range headless Mac at any price.

It feels like that Apple that was in the 90s really did die. The doom and gloom was real and some other weirder company took its place.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

But you're right. I wouldn't be surprised if Jobs was ignoring the Mini because he didn't like the way it looked anymore. Bummer..

It's insanity when you look at it in context. The last Mini update was unannounced (it was mentioned during a Q&A), underwhelming, and a full year after the previous. No mid-range headless Mac at any price.

Apple perhaps do not want to update its line yet. Imagine, how much profit do they get by selling old cpus, graphic card, etc with premium prices. As Phuong mentioned, the cost is almost twice that its counterpart.

Apple probably will only target someone that illiterate about computer tech., say grandpa, grandma or someone that has money to burn and use it as an accessory just like Paris Hilton.

Update....maybe in another 3 months? but is it worth it ?

For Mac OS X, I will definitely wait....or maybe I'll buy EFIX ...
  • Reply 19 of 25
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I doubt any new products will be announced this week. Monday is Martin Luther King Jr day, and Tuesday is the Presidential Inaugural. Wednesday is the hangover from Tuesday. Doesn't look like a good PR week for Apple to get a new product out there. On the other hand, Wednesday is a long-shot option.

My guess would be that new products will be announced the following week, when Apple can also say they are now shipping iLife '09. Hopefully this will help get those new 17" MacBook Pros out the door too.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I doubt any new products will be announced this week. Monday is Martin Luther King Jr day, and Tuesday is the Presidential Inaugural. Wednesday is the hangover from Tuesday. Doesn't look like a good PR week for Apple to get a new product out there. On the other hand, Wednesday is a long-shot option.

My guess would be that new products will be announced the following week, when Apple can also say they are now shipping iLife '09. Hopefully this will help get those new 17" MacBook Pros out the door too.

I'd hope its next week, but I'm thinking February. Maybe get something out before the Superbowl, after the inauguration talk has died down.

Here's my question, though: is there another financial/investor conference call coming up? I thought that they were due to have one this week, and after reading the WSJ article, it makes me wonder if they'll start pushing about the lack of updates for the desktops. I think everyone was disappointed in the fact that the Pro, Mini, iMac and cinema displays are still, well, ancient (by technology standards), and they can't just blab on about the laptops this time as they are fairly removed from that release.

hopefully the cage gets rattled some, because they need it.