Possible iMac quad-core CPUs; Mac clone maker blocked; more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

The refurbished section says nothing about product updates. Believe me I've been watching it since August.

it says nothing, did you see the listed items? all the current Macs are there ... I do not think it is just a coincidence
  • Reply 22 of 62
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

it says nothing, did you see the listed items? all the current Macs are there ... I do not think it is just a coincidence

No minis though, unless they already sold..
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Oh my, the Supreme Plan. I love the nuances of english in marketing. I can't see a phone plan ever being called Supreme in the US, and yet it seems perfectly normal for pizza.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Oh my, the Supreme Plan. I love the nuances of english in marketing. I can't see a phone plan ever being called Supreme in the US, and yet it seems perfectly normal for pizza.

I don't get it... What are you talking about?
  • Reply 25 of 62
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

Refurbs are listed whenever Apple finishes repairing what's in their stock of broken Macs. It is a complete coincidence.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You heard it here first. Not that I have any solid info to base this on, just that the timing is right.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Its the presidential inauguration, nobody would be listening. It would either have to be wednesday to next tuesday.

Correct. Unless Apple is going to wrap themselves in the flag for a special announcement (which is possible, just as Hollywood is currently neck deep in Obama-mania) I think next Tuesday (Jan 27th) is the day.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

No minis though, unless they already sold..

Refurbished minis always sell out almost instantly.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Its the presidential inauguration, nobody would be listening. It would either have to be wednesday to next tuesday.

First; you would have to be fairly weak minded to get to wraped up in the presidential hype.

Second; Apple has indicated clearly that old marketing methods are being replaced. There is also the reality that if the new machines are minor update there won't be need for a big show. On the otherhand if the machines are truly innovative the community will take note and hype them all on the there own.

Third; successful marketing is never a one day event.

Dave
  • Reply 29 of 62
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Second; Apple has indicated clearly that old marketing methods are being replaced.

Yes, but public attention cannot be replaced or overlooked.

Quote:

There is also the reality that if the new machines are minor update there won't be need for a big show. On the otherhand if the machines are truly innovative the community will take note and hype them all on the there own.

I agree on the first part. For the second, we already know Apple's practice as of lately: special event. And there is none planned anytime soon.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a first since iPhone 3G sales began this past summer, T-Mobile's Austrian division launched a discount for Apple's entry-level 8GB handset.

The deal, discovered by iLounge, reduces the price of the iPhone from its normal €99 ($131) to €1 when a customer signs up for a €45 ($60) monthly Supreme plan. It also gives the new subscriber their first month's service for free and, if the phone is ordered online, a further instant discount of €45.

Although multiple carriers have refined their service plans since the iPhone 3G launch, none have until now budged the price of the phone proper. It's not known what T-Mobile's incentives are behind the discount, which doesn't have a specified end.

big deal.

iphone models are free in australia on plans. No doubt this is spurred by a lack of 8GB sales due to the small discrepancy in the total cost of ownership between the 8GB and the 16GB models and the fact that people with expanding audiovisual libraries aren't idiots. I think it's ironic that they would try to market the "gimped" handset to people on a "premium" plan.... sure.... so every Austrian women wears 50c polyester socks with their Manolo Blahniks.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Intel's new i7 platform is really nice but boy is it expensive. The motherboards currently retail for four times that of a normal C2D motherboard and DDR3 RAM hasn't yet hit the bargain basement prices of DDR2. Even if there was a mobile version, I can't see Apple adopting the i7 yet.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:

First; you would have to be fairly weak minded to get to wraped up in the presidential hype. Dave

mmmm ... I like to think I have a pretty good mind, I am fascinated by the events unfolding and the world wide interest. Was that a cheap political shot or am I missing a joke?
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

mmmm ... I like to think I have a pretty good mind, I am fascinated by the events unfolding and the world wide interest. Was that a cheap political shot or am I missing a joke?

Sadly, I think the post was from a bitter person who does not agree with the general population of the US, who elected Barack Obama, and the world, who are anxiously awaiting him to steer the US in a better direction.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I was considering getting a MBP however if this iMac thing is true I may opt for that instead.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

Refurbs are listed whenever Apple finishes repairing what's in their stock of broken Macs. It is a complete coincidence.

Refurbs are not always broken Macs that are repaired by Apple. Some are customer returns, etc. A good stock of refurbs has nothing to do with upcoming releases. If Apple has new stock in inventory when a new model comes out, those are sold at clearance, not refurb.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Reviews of the 8-core Mac Pro confirmed the extra cores were pretty much useless anyway. So unless the software can take advantage of it, you are wasting your money.

I call BS on this. Many of Apple's applications utilize all the cores. Even iPhoto uses all the cores. HD video can use 8 cores for hours at a time. With Parallels or Fusion, you can assign multiple cores to Windows while keeping multiple cores for Mac OS X. I'm using all 8 cores in my Mac Pro with software that wasn't even written for multicore support. I'm running multiple instances of software on the Windows side.

I'm never buying another PC that doesn't have at least four cores. I need the horsepower.

I guess if you just sit around all day and write whiney posts about useless cores, you probably don't need them.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    +1.

Regardless if the software is written for multi-cores or not.. using multiple apps at the same time DOES. So whatever you're talking hillstones is complete fudd.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by warnergt View Post

I call BS on this. Many of Apple's applications utilize all the cores. Even iPhoto uses all the cores. HD video can use 8 cores for hours at a time. With Parallels or Fusion, you can assign multiple cores to Windows while keeping multiple cores for Mac OS X. I'm using all 8 cores in my Mac Pro with software that wasn't even written for multicore support. I'm running multiple instances of software on the Windows side.

I don't get why anybody is arguing about Nehalem vs these Quad Core CPUs and using # of cores as an arugment. I don't know why the OP brought up number of threads/cores. Except for hyperthreading, Nehalem doesn't add any new cores.

What Nehalem does bring is better pipelining, a MUCH faster memory bus architecture, incremental ISA changes and on-die power management. The Anandtech review of Nehalem showed Nehalem had a 20-50% performance advantage over Penryn, clock & core comparable (but Nehalem can be clocked higher than Penryn, so it's an even bigger advantage). Clock for clock, Nehalem/Core i7 is 5-10% faster in non-memory bound applications. Memory-bound applications such as photo editing, video editing and number crunching can be up to 20-40% faster thanks to the replacement for FSB and on-die memory controller. It does all this while keeping the TDP at the same levels as Penryn, or 10% higher than Penryn when fully utilized.

BTW you can get a Core i7 system with 3GB RAM, 1TB HD and 20" monitor for the price of a low end iMac--and it easily outperforms the Mac Pros which retail for $2799. Now imagine if Apple uses these outdated processors for the next iMac, and waits another 6 months to update the iMac.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    I don't think it matters all that much really.

Consumers just want a fast computer and if Apple can deliver a Quad Core Penryn

based iMac and Snow Leopard makes that system sing then adding Nehalem when it

becomes feasible only makes things better.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skittlebrau79 View Post

BTW you can get a Core i7 system with 3GB RAM, 1TB HD and 20" monitor for the price of a low end iMac--and it easily outperforms the Mac Pros which retail for $2799. Now imagine if Apple uses these outdated processors for the next iMac, and waits another 6 months to update the iMac.

There is no, repeat, no way that you can get a 130 watt TDP cpu in the iMac. Not.. going.. to.. happen. Core i7 will never see the inside of an iMac.

Why should users have to wait until Intel release low power desk top nehalem cpus or worse yet, mobile nehalem cpus? That is months away. Who knows they may delay the release of these chips.

The low power desk top penryn cpus are the best available cpu for the iMac at the moment. They need to get it into the iMac as soon as possible.