Job cuts enroute for Microsoft, other tech industry giants

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

It's about time some of you fanboys grew up and joined the real world.

It is never a good time for any company to be in trouble, especially one who owns the marketplace your beloved Apple plays so heavily in. How many pensions and savings plans are falling apart because of the downturn in the stock market? This affects everybody. When a company like Microsoft start putting news like this out it has ramifications across the entire industry and to their suppliers who happen to be the same people who supply Apple with their components too. Components I might add that Apple can source so cheaply because of the huge numbers built thanks in large to the PC world and Microsoft.

Microsoft have a history of leading the way and making some outstanding products, that is why they are where they are now.

They, like Apple are a company who's number 1 goal is to make money for their shareholders. They don't owe you anything nor do you owe them anything. They are a company who court you because of the money you can give them and that is all.

I really do not understand this obsessive love for a company. I use Apple products, I use Microsoft products, I use them because they do a job for me. I don't get all personal about things and certainly do not take any joy in todays news.

I don't mean to be personal and I don't want to insult you but most of what you say here just sounds nuts to me.

It seems from my reading rather that you have the obsession with Microsoft and not me so much with Apple. I apologise for not giving deference to "a company like Microsoft" that we should of course give "thanks" to. Well, not really.

Your argument that Apple wouldn't get cheap component prices if Microsoft went down, because the prices are based on the volume of Microsoft's business is empty. Computer demand is computer demand and if Microsoft is not there to fill the software part, some other entity or combination of entity's would. if you think about it, you are kind of suggesting that without Windows, people would stop buying and using computers???

Your statement that Microsoft has "a history of leading the way" is just a joke. Not sure what to say to that other than they could be said to have led the *business* of software, or led the *marketing* of software then perhaps you would be right, but in any other sense, not.

Finally your statement that "They, like Apple are a company who's number 1 goal is to make money for their shareholders" indicates to me both that you buy into that whole "business has no ethical requirements" kind of schtick and also that you don't understand Apple's business at all.

For the record, you also completely mis-interpret me with the "fan boy" statement. It not only is a dumb kind of thing that only the intellectually bankrupt would employ in an argument, it's ass-backwards. It's more that I don't like Microsoft than that I have some undying love for Apple. I don't like a lot of decisions Apple makes but I think their products are stellar individually. Microsoft on the other hand has proven itself to me to be more of the rapacious, money-grubbing, anti-consumer kind of entity that can't make good products to save it's life.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodrulz View Post

I do feel bad for those losing their jobs... but could you remind me when's the last time MBU came out with something half decent?

Touche. I use iWork instead of Office. I do use their IM client and Remote Desktop for work purposes with the former being a poor cousin to the Windows version. Other than those products I can't say they have any Mac software that I'm interested in.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

2: a mistake or crudity (as in speaking) typical of one who is illiterate

Umm.. thanks, that's the one; and, since you clearly cannot read your own post, you make my point!

Enz
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:

Your Quote:

"No way did Balmer write that memo, (the man literally can't put a coherent sentence together), "

It's more than apparent that you can't either, so please test your ignorance level before you make it public.

At the very least, make sure you "read" your reply before you post it

Ignorance is bliss but public ignorance is embarrassing.

I take your point, but no way am I a patch on that fellow.

Balmer literally doesn't "get" the whole subject-predicate-object thing. He just strings dozens of sentence fragments together, and throws in a lot of business buzz-words. He says things like "managing the collective spread of our efficiency quotients as a team," and crap like that.

When I referred to a "coherent sentence," I meant a sentence with some kind of logical consistency where you can follow the meaning, not grammar.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:

Please look at definition 1.

Pl, meaning plural.

You are obviously a Mac Fanboy that can?t accept being wrong so you have no 0.

Definition 1 would imply no need to read definition 2.

Do you understand how a dictionary works?

The reason why words sometimes have more than one definition is because they sometimes have different meanings.

Definition 2 clearly gives a meaning that is exactly how the original poster used it. Why are you talking about Definition 1? It has no bearing on definition 2.

You get all smartarse but now you have realised you have made a mistake you really should do the decent thing and apologise instead of digging yourself into a deeper hole.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    the company is still making billions $ each quarter. Cash cows liks Windows or Office will keep giving milk. To cut jobs in such a bad downturn while profits go down only slightly is a sign of weakness though. I don't believe MS-workers will digg that. A company like Microsoft should rather invest in such a period of time. While companies like Sony or Dell are really in trouble, the big MS can easily try to get a hold of previously untouched markets by investing heavily in R&D. The fact that they are acting pro-cyclical, even though they don't have to, shows poor management skills. If I was a talented software-engineer for MS now would be the time to apply for a job at Apple...
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Amidst these job cuts announcement, if there is someone who benefits, it is a job search app for the iPhone called iJobs. Its sale rose so much in the past few days that it is now the number 1 app in the Business category. Read more analysis at "How to reach the top of App Store - iJobs rises amidst Job cut announcements"
  • Reply 28 of 35
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

... The unemployment lines are getting deep ...

Not sure if I got my facts right but it seems New York state ran out of money to pay unemployment benefits. They're borrowing from the Federal govt. to continue to pay benefits.

This is clearly getting worse than the dot-com bust and on a more global scale.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphonedevguy View Post

Amidst these job cuts announcement, if there is someone who benefits, it is a job search app for the iPhone called iJobs. Its sale rose so much in the past few days that it is now the number 1 app in the Business category. Read more analysis at "How to reach the top of App Store - iJobs rises amidst Job cut announcements"

I thought iJobs was some sort of App that updates you on the hormonal levels in Steve Jobs body in realtime.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Just think if they had not spent that $300 million dollars on advertising Vista to consumers that don't even know what an operating system is. That waste of cash could have kept some of those soon to be laid off at their jobs. I would recommend M$ just make the cuts in R&D those folks deserve to go after Vista.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    "It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." -Henry Ford

http://www.CarolinaLiberty.com
  • Reply 32 of 35
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Touche. I use iWork instead of Office. I do use their IM client and Remote Desktop for work purposes with the former being a poor cousin to the Windows version. Other than those products I can't say they have any Mac software that I'm interested in.

You may not use any Microsoft MAc based products persionally but you still use Windows in you everyday life whether you'd like to admit it or not. Do you ever use an ATM, etc, etc, etc?

It is sad when people loose their jobs- even presidents. NOT!
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Just think if they had not spent that $300 million dollars on advertising Vista to consumers that don't even know what an operating system is.

Somebody at M$ call Crispin Porter Bogusky right away and have them put together a Jerry & Bill video to ease the layoff pain... something that explains the severance package and Cobra benefits in a... well... quirky yet whimsical way.sonic rates
  • Reply 34 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonComstock View Post

Somebody at M$ call Crispin Porter Bogusky right away and have them put together a Jerry & Bill video to ease the layoff pain... something that explains the severance package and Cobra benefits in a... well... quirky yet whimsical way.sonic rates

Good one! But don't worry, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will step in and give them all nice golden parachutes I'm sure.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It is sad when people loose their jobs- even presidents. NOT!

Glad you corrected that lol