Superbowl 2009 hardware ad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Pixar are on this list:

http://adage.com/superbowl09/article?article_id=133081

I agree it will be one 'product'. I think the ad will be for the new iMac but will use the rest to promote the total iMac experience. I expect the new Mac Mini will appear in the Apple Store at the same time but without much fanfare.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmillea View Post

Pixar are on this list:

http://adage.com/superbowl09/article?article_id=133081

I agree it will be one 'product'. I think the ad will be for the new iMac but will use the rest to promote the total iMac experience. I expect the new Mac Mini will appear in the Apple Store at the same time but without much fanfare.

OK, I was looking under "P", not under Walt Disney. They could do something, and I agree that the iMac is likely. They might put out the Mini on a Tuesday as usual, but then again they haven't scheduled anything.

That being said, they could just post a mysterious ad with a date when they'll put out whatever - after all, the article does call out for 30 second spots.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    There's been a rumor going around on my campus that the Mac Pro and the iMac are going to merge as an upgradeable all in one with a large screen. Has anyone else heard this?
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

There's been a rumor going around on my campus that the Mac Pro and the iMac are going to merge as an upgradeable all in one with a large screen. Has anyone else heard this?

Not so far, but it doesn't seem to far off, as I work in a Mac office where we've given up on the Pro's in favor of iMacs. If they stick a quad in one, then it would likely be powerful enough for a lot of power users.

That being said, the iMac lacks the ability to swap parts that the pro has. Even since the blue and white G3 tower, the ability to open the computer up and swap parts was a major selling point, and one that has become easier with each iteration. Meanwhile, the iMac has become more and more difficult to work with. You can swap out memory, and that's about it (and who doesn't max out memory when buying an iMac? what's the point of having it accessible if you won't have to add anything?).

Unless they just beef up the iMac to deal with the low-end pro line, then use the xServe to serve the high end who need expandability. That being said, I still don't like the AIO form factor for pros, as I don't like the idea that you have to throw out your old monitors, and you in essence buy a new one every time you upgrade your CPU - that just doesn't jive for me when Apple keeps hyping up its green agenda.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

That would be so crazily good. *SIGH* We're waiting like crazy here. The GPU will probably not be upgradeable though.

No SuperBowl announcement. I'm starting to get sick of rumours.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That would be so crazily good. *SIGH* We're waiting like crazy here. The GPU will probably not be upgradeable though.

No SuperBowl announcement. I'm starting to get sick of rumours.

I was sick of rumors about 2yrs ago. If everyone would just play the wait and see approach the world would be better off.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I was sick of rumors about 2yrs ago. If everyone would just play the wait and see approach the world would be better off.

My problem isn't the wait and see approach, its the fact that we've been waiting for ages now.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

My problem isn't the wait and see approach, its the fact that we've been waiting for ages now.

I agree. If I die waiting it will be Apple's fault.

Currently waiting for..

1) Netbook Mac since October 2008

2) Quad-core iMac since MacWorld '09

We know they are coming, eventuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghly ;-(
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmillea View Post

Currently waiting for..

1) Netbook Mac since October 2008

2) Quad-core iMac since MacWorld '09

Try waiting on an updated 30" Cinema Display or a Mac Mini.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    I've been waiting for an xMac or Quad iMac for a year or so now.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

It looks like the wait and just keep waiting approach is what we have to do now.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

Not so far, but it doesn't seem to far off, as I work in a Mac office where we've given up on the Pro's in favor of iMacs. If they stick a quad in one, then it would likely be powerful enough for a lot of power users.

That being said, the iMac lacks the ability to swap parts that the pro has.

The first iteration came pretty close, and I'm pretty sure that the reason they gave up on the internal access was that it was a lot of extra engineering for a feature that hardly anyone actually used. If the iMac becomes more of a professional machine, I can see them bringing it back, if their customers demanded it. Really, the iMac just needs top-speed FireWire and full, no-apologies dual (or triple!) monitor support, along with perhaps a doubling of available RAM and a boost to quad-core, to handle the market.

The outliers would be people who need components that simply will not fit in the iMac's case--e.g. 3D renderers and ProTools users (so long as Digidesign makes PCI cards). The list is small but critical, and the particular needs of these professionals make it hard to shift the computational burden to rackmount units--they already have shifted as much to the rack as possible, long since. These are the people who simply must have a fully internally expandable desktop. So there's your core Mac Pro user base, along with successful developers and people with way too much money.

Brute force computational power can continue its migration to the rack. I could see Apple developing a 3u version of the Xserve that is quieter and shallower, for the audio pros. That could take a PCI card (or more if it takes up more rack units), obviating the need for a pro audio desktop.