Palm to Apple: We'll "vigorously" defend our IP, too

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    If Microsoft ripped off the iPhone UI in Windows Mobile, would Apple go after them, or would they turn a blind eye in case Baller throws a tantrum and kills Office for the Mac.

Personally I wouldnt care. Its time Apple bundled OpenOffice with the Mac and killed MS Office itself
  • Reply 22 of 113
    Had to throw my oar in.

I don't think anything will come of it.

Looking at Mr Cook's comments it is clear that yes Apple will do their bit to maintain healthy revenue growth through legal combat with a company who is a threat to that end. But Palm is no threat, on the contrary.

Apple thrives in it's present state, as it has mostly done, as the subversively superior alternative. Global dominance and market control opens companies up to all sorts of lovely comebacks. FIlling shareholders coffers is lovely, but wisdom will tell you that major boom equals major bust, eventually. Apple is a shrewdly, deliberately and exclusively run outfit. Hence why we are not all running out to buy an Apple branded netbook or celebrating a repeat of Apples last press reveal at this years MacWorld .

Apple could very well take out Palm, but it is NOT in their interests to do so, up until the point that Palm could/would be snatched.

The IPhone is already in danger, as the iPod was before it, of market recognition based saturated overkill. And no market picks up on this like the British. When something is fantastically good and new and fresh we want one. But if everyone has one, is it new anymore? Or is it just a Walkman? Or a shell suit? Or a PC?

Palm, as a competitor, is exactly what Apple needs, alongside RIM. As a pack they can each distinguish themselves, separating the market and creating healthy competition. Killing Palm, or even throwing that into the media would be a bad move. In my opinion.
  • Reply 23 of 113
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    He didn't say Palm. In my opinion, Palm saw this as a free publicity for their new phone. I don't think Apple need to worry about Palm, who are about to dig their own grave with Sprint. They will probably sell few Pre phones but not enough to keep them in business. Based on their CEO comment about the planned price they will not even reach Android sales figures.
  • Reply 24 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is exactly how I use the iPhone with gloves on. I lick the fingertip of the glove, which works just well enough to answer the phone but not much more than that, otherwise I agree, that is a disadvantage of the capacitance implementation. Salt water also works if you happen to have any handy.

That is a clever workaround. Have you considering buying a stylus that imitates a finger's electrical output? You can't do multitouch, unless you're really good at holding chopsticks, but such a device would give [you] more control that licking your gloves.
  • Reply 25 of 113
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can't do multitouch, unless you're really good at holding chopsticks, but such a device would give me more control that licking your gloves.

There is one other person I would let lick my gloves, but it is not you.
  • Reply 26 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

There is one other person I would let lick my gloves, but it is not you.

I didn't know what you were talking about until I reread my post. I'll have to fix the wording.
  • Reply 27 of 113
    China was selling illegal copies of the iphone way before it was available in China and other parts of Asia , also ipod copies still on sale.

I think that they , Apple should be able to do this but should also look at the other copies.

Just look at Sanrio , hello kitty , here we have Japan thinking about what goods it could market globally to get it's economy going. To late there are so many hello kitty copies from china already on the market . They are dead in the water.

Apple spends the time and R&D only to find little known manufacturers trying to steel it all. Selling at a third of the price for the copied product, consumers no longer care they have fewer dollars to spend so they go for the copied product.
  • Reply 28 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Wasn't Tim's statement a response to a question asked about the Pre? I don't see how that's an extrapolation unless you're saying that Tim Cook wasn't answering the question that was asked.

Tim was asked about how Apple would maintain it's position in the market in general. After he gave his answer about defending intellectual property an analyst asked if he was referring to the Pre. He specifically said he was not referring to any particular company or product so of course the analysts had reason to run with it and say "Apple is challenging Palm in court."
  • Reply 29 of 113
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Just buy out the company ($822M market cap) with that pool of cash($28.1B) you have sitting there, take whatever is usable, and give a good scolding to all former employees.

Don't forget Palm's $397 million in debt Apple would have to assume.
  • Reply 30 of 113
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tufnia View Post

d.

The IPhone is already in danger, as the iPod was before it, of market recognition based saturated overkill. And no market picks up on this like the British. When something is fantastically good and new and fresh we want one. But if everyone has one, is it new anymore? Or is it just a Walkman? Or a shell suit? Or a PC?

There may well be Brits and for that matter people from any country that are that shallow but to generalize a whole nation as such is ridiculous. iPhones are not just purchased by the brainless 'must have latest fashion' types. The vast majority of iPhone owners know a superior product when they see one.
  • Reply 31 of 113
    May I ask why?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Agreed. Sadly however, Palm being acquired by Microsoft is also a likely option right now although I would rather see Riim do it if anyone does.

• Reply 32 of 113
    Who in their right mind would quit Apple to work for Palm?!

They must have been fired.
  • Reply 33 of 113
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I don't think its fully understood that finger gesture based multi-touch is IP that Apple bought when it acquired FingerWorks. webOS clearly copies the iPhone's gesture based UI.

The question is whether Apple can patent the entire concept of swiping/flicking/pinching/double tapping finger based gestures. If Apple does defend these gestures, how would Palm have a valid patent on the same concept.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I see nothing in WebOS that looks like it was copied from the iphone. Multitasking, synergy? A gesture area that extends below the screen itself, a "wave" dock? Yeah totally ripped from the iphone (sacrasm). :rollsyes:

The only thing Apple might have them on is the similar multitouch. What people do not understand is that Apple is just running one implementation of multitouch which happens to be named "multi-touch".

• Reply 34 of 113
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Which iPhone copy has ever come to market? Meizu has been showing a iPhone concept for the past two years but has not yet brought a working product to market. Of course if they ever did Apple would sue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by miquet View Post

China was selling illegal copies of the iphone way before it was available in China and other parts of Asia , also ipod copies still on sale.

• Reply 35 of 113
    I don't think Apple are saying they invented Multi touch, but if they invented a particular gesture and patented, fair enough it shouldn't be copied.
  • Reply 36 of 113
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

May I ask why?

Not sure what your question is.

Why I think Microsoft would want to buy them is Windows Mobile is a crapfest of stellar proportions and they have done exactly these kind of buy-ins before.

Why I would prefer Riim is because Microsoft destroys everything it touches and I actually think the pre might be a nice competitive product. Riim would use it to keep themselves alive a bit longer and also be competition for Apple.

Riim might also be in danger of a take-over by Microsoft however because (IMO) Microsoft is still stuck in that "we must buy up some innovation" mode that worked for the 1990's and still has a ton of cash.

(Again IMO), Microsoft has to decide whether to get out of the mobile business altogether and fade quietly into the good night, or they need to buy a new platform. It might take the release (and probable failure) of WinMobile 6.5 for them to realise this though.
  • Reply 37 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Wasn't Tim's statement a response to a question asked about the Pre?

No, he made a statement about defending IP's. Someone asked if that meant the Palm Pre, and he responded "It's a general statement."
  • Reply 38 of 113
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

That is exactly how I use the iPhone with gloves on. I lick the fingertip of the glove...

I hope to hell you're not a proctologist!
  • Reply 39 of 113
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

Microsoft has to decide whether to get out of the mobile business altogether and fade quietly into the good night, or they need to buy a new platform. It might take the release (and probable failure) of WinMobile 6.5 for them to realise this though.

Oh, they still have some brilliant ideas on how to make WinMo the best user experience evar!

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/245859/q...rn-to-drm.html
  • Reply 40 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

There may well be Brits and for that matter people from any country that are that shallow but to generalize a whole nation as such is ridiculous. iPhones are not just purchased by the brainless 'must have latest fashion' types. The vast majority of iPhone owners know a superior product when they see one.

Sorry, it would seem to be a bit of a generalization; It wasn't intended to be derogatory in the slightest, rather I reflection of Britain's, and wider Europe's, in comparison to the US's, turn over of mobile technology. Our deposable income in conjunction with 'decerning' nature allow for a change in handsets that would not accept the US's norm of a 2 year mobile contract, or the projection of the Moto Razo to number one handset for so long. This has been beneficial in the adoption of 3G, MMS and the ilk to our anticipation of mobile technology (terranial considerations accepted.)

Generalizations are indeed a very bad thing, but to throw perspective to my, global, declaration, attend a Seattle Mariners match and then take the 15 hour flight to an Tottenham Arsenal match. Nations differ, and thus so do markets, and this was the perspective I wrote from.

You're right, the iPhone is the superior product, but, as a Briton, I don't want everyone else to have one too. It's mine, all mine, AND NO ONE ELSES!