Apple to pay $22.5M in suit over scratched iPod nanos

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kestral View Post

It's certainly easy to scratch enough that imo it should be considered a poorly implemented product. Props to the great design but the materials used were obviously not good enough, especially when you compare it to the subsequent generations of the iPod nano.

Even a Zune doesn't scratch like that.

The fact is, Apple made a mistake, and is paying for it, fair is fair.

Listen, I bleed Apple just as much as the staunchest fanboy here, I have owned Macs since 1987, have never owned a Windows or PC machine, EVER, have only had Macs since 1987 (before that Amiga and Commodore 64), and will never own a Windows machine and am gladly willing to pay Apple the premium because they deserve it. I have owned more AAPL stock than most people here (I bought it 3 splits ago at ~$33 before the 3 splits so do the math) and then for various reasons, ended up with more shares. I personally have a vested interest in Apple doing well.

But fact is, they screwed up with the materials selection with the 1st gen nano, it was imo shoddy for a high end company and not up to the usual standards of Apple. How about showing some objectivity? Apple is not perfect (it's about as close to it as a company has ever gotten) but call it like it is. Fair is fair. Be objective or lose credibility.

What a bunch of whiners some people are. I can't believe crap like this actually wastes court time. I hope it's just a ploy to get all these whining losers together in one spot and use a firehose on them. Remember the good old days, when Apple users were an intelligent community? Boy has that changed now.

Scratches in an iPod. It's sad how shallow people are.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digiboy View Post

What a bunch of whiners some people are. I can't believe crap like this actually wastes court time. I hope it's just a ploy to get all these whining losers together in one spot and use a firehose on them. Remember the good old days, when Apple users were an intelligent community? Boy has that changed now.

Scratches in an iPod. It's sad how shallow people are.

So you don't acknowledge that Apple made a mistake? The subsequent generation of iPod nanos don't seem to have the significant scratching problem; so even Apple must have acknowledged their faults or we'd still be in the same situation.

Apple has admitted to the problems, why can't you guys?
  • Reply 43 of 49
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I have two of the first generation nanos, 4GB and 1GB.

I have no problem going along with the idea that they're easy to scratch, I've seen this myself, my nanos look a lot like the picture shown when photographed under similar circumstances.

What I'm not going along with is that they are easy to scratch to the point that the screen is harder to read, much less obscured by the scuffing. If you look at the example photo, the nano's screen is perfectly easy to read, the scratches don't noticeably reduce the image quality.

I can't say that the screen would have been totally unreadable as I put the nano in a case immediately. But that one scratch was enough to blur one line of text. After only 15 minutes of exposure, I refused to take that chance that more scratches would occur and make all or part of the screen unreadable. -- If you look at the photo you see that most of the scratches shown are around the click wheel indicating normal use. My scratch was on the screen and was made by rubbing up against the cloth of a dress shirt.

At the time there was a big controversy about if the problem was real or not. Some had scratches while many did not. That's why I believe that the problem was with the mixing and/or curing of the epoxy used to coat the nanos. This would mean that the problem would only effect certain batches of the nano, not all of them. Plus the problem went away after a short period of time, long before the second generation came out.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    Each time Apple gets slap with this type of silly lawsuits, they should also insist these users switch to a Zune and be ban forever from any Apple products.

Customers are not always right, some are borderline selfish idiots that can't tell the difference between rights and abuses.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

Each time Apple gets slap with this type of silly lawsuits, they should also insist these users switch to a Zune and be ban forever from any Apple products.

Customers are not always right, some are borderline selfish idiots that can't tell the difference between rights and abuses.

Just a question, did you actually own one of the iPod nanos in question?

Actually, it should work like this:

Every time a fanboy throws reason and good judgment out the window and blindly , they should immediately have their Mac and other Apple products taken away from them and be issued a Windows machine so they they will gain objectivity.

So with that in mind, please report to your nearest Dell center and turn your Mac in for either an Inspiron on Dimension, your choice.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

It's called punitive damages, Einstein.

The purpose is to punish Apple, and hopefully make them think twice before releasing another sub-par gadget.

By the way, if you had a site, it would suck.

It's sub-par because it scratches when you carry it around in your back pocket? Who are you people? Man oh man, our high-tech society is creating a super-race of whiny pansies with shiny little toys, ready to b!tch about anything that doesn't match their standards of perfection.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digiboy View Post

It's sub-par because it scratches when you carry it around in your back pocket? Who are you people? Man oh man, our high-tech society is creating a super-race of whiny pansies with shiny little toys, ready to b!tch about anything that doesn't match their standards of perfection.

The problem is that generation of nano was the most scratch prone piece of portable electronics I've seen. Except for maybe some batches though, I don't think it's as bad as people say, and as I recall, Apple has been replacing the worst ones. But still, I have phones from that era that were subject to the exact same pockets that barely look used at all.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Apparently my first gen ipod nano is not a first gen ipod nano, at least according to the settlement website. Thats weird.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nicv View Post

u can easily turn your scratches iPod into a NEW iPod with Gmask, and make it even more beautiful! The film is very thin and could hardly feel its presence. I love it so much

http://www.gmask.com

Hey, while we're reviving 1.5 year old posts to spam them with our own shitty products, I have some stuff I'd like to sell . . .