Apple's Mac growth a standout in ailing PC market

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Apple could easily take Microsoft's marketshare but they choose not to compete there.

Apple chooses to make money. They are not actively trying to take market share unless it includes making money. Have you noticed that computer makers competing on market share are LOSING money?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Apple's market share is growing slowly but its very stable, I don't think Micro$oft can say 'oh we gonna get those 10% back." In my opinion people who switched are lost forever to Micro$oft.

Imagine is Linux got serious and took another 10% from Micro$oft.

And everyone of those switchers show several friends and family their Mac and in the immortal words of Kurt Vonnegut ... "So it goes ..."
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevermind50 View Post

My 5 Year old mac runs the latest version of os x... do you see the difference?

My iBook G4, purchased October 2003, runs 10.5.6 no problem too. I use my latest hardware most of the time to be sure but for Mail and Safari it still runs like a champ.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My iBook G4, purchased October 2003, runs 10.5.6 no problem too. I use my latest hardware most of the time to be sure but for Mail and Safari it still runs like a champ.

How does it run, speedwise, in comparison to older versions of OS X?
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How does it run, speedwise, in comparison to older versions of OS X?

Hard to know exactly since I have no way to do a side by side test with it running anything older but given I use an 8 Core Mac Pro all day so am used to speed it is plenty fast for me and beats the pants of several far more recent PCs running XP Pro at surfing and fetching Mail. It sleeps and wakes up right away and has never had a single problem with any version of Leopard. It even runs BBC news and YouTube videos fine although CNN videos stutter a bit for some reason. By the way it is a stock base model with no extra RAM or upgrades.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlK View Post

I payed 2700? for a 15" PowerBook five years ago, the upper MBP now is 500? less. In a sane market a company sets the price where demand equals supply, that's where the cost/income balance is best, I don't see Apple slowly rising prices to squeeze any more out of their customers.

Another example: The MacBook Air costs exactly the same as the entry level iBook in 1999.

$1799
  • Reply 27 of 33
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Another example: The MacBook Air costs exactly the same as the entry level iBook in 1999.

$1799

Actually the original iBook was $1599.

I do think apple needs to cover more market with their macs, by adding more models. All this "it will eat up sales of their other products" stuff is BS. If that were the case, apple would only sell one Mac, called the Mac. Different kinds of computer will appeal to more people who have different needs, and overall you'll sell many more computers.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    1) Microsoft will be lucky if they make $20 on a $200 Netbook.

2) Acer is going to bankrupt HP & Dell with Netbooks that they need to make virtually minimal profit on

Apple already own the $1000+ market and they say time and time again they don't want to make cheap junk hardware....if they release a $500 7" Ipod Touch they'll satisfy the desire for an Apple Netbook-esque offering, that will neither cannibalize Macbook sales or cheaper iPod Touch sales..
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I can see the difference if by running that OS you can do something you need to do that the old OS couldn't do. But Windows XP does pretty much everything Vista does, so there's really no need to try and cram the latest OS onto it. See the difference?

I can't really comment as to whether Vista offers anything over and above XP, I don't have experience. However, I can tell you that the latest version of osx 10.5 gives me many more features than the 10.2 it was delivered with. In addition, each upgrade has improved performance.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    bhcbhc Posts: 1member
    Microsoft isn't currently suffering because it has to ship XP on netbooks, but because it is unable to charge OEMs the Vista price for it. This keeps the price of Windows netbooks comparable to Linux and reduces Microsoft's overall margins as sales shift toward netbooks. Windows 7 will likely run on netbooks, but the question is whether Microsoft will be able to ratchet up the price after OEMs and consumers have become used to current prices for a couple years. If Windows 7 run great but people are still only willing to pay XP prices it hurts Microsoft rather than helps.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

If they come out with a netbook, that is Cheap it WILL take away sales of it's notebooks ... Apple is doing a pretty good job of making and selling products that don't compete to much with each other, and a sale of one unit doesn't take away from the sale of another...

Well, look at the iPod. With the Shuffle, Nano, Classic, and Touch they have 'pods at nearly every price point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

...and any that it does, is still a sale for Apple.

Precisely. As many companies have learned far too late, it's much, much better to cannibalize your own product line than let someone else do it.

My money is on Apple doing an oversized Touch, perhaps 4x6 or 5x7 max. Any larger and the touchscreen keyboard would be too awkward to use, and you'd be reaching the point where you might as well carry a notebook.

A "tween" device would make an excellent media device, game player, email and web browser, AND a great ebook/news reader (the iPhone's screen, with Stanza, is already adequate for this task).
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

I think it's because people finally realized that the total cost of ownership of a computer doesn't equal the price at purchase. Expensive upgrades, antivirus subscriptions, repair, data loss, Microsoft Office vs iWork, and lost time factor in.

OpenOffice 3.1 will only accelerate their growth. With Applescript built-in I'm expecting people to use Applescript as a go-between iWorks and OOo 3.1. Now if Apple would include ODF 1.2 iWorks it would be a double-edged sword.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    janusjanus Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

How about creating desktops, laptops, and netbooks for the rest of the folks too

Ironic that once upon a time Apple was "the computer for the rest of us"

Now they've ceded that noble title entirely to MS and Linux boxes