Apple releases NVIDIA Graphics Update 2009

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released a software update that addresses issues with its Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter and also boosts HD video performance on some current Mac notebooks and previous-generation Mac desktops.

More specifically, Apple says NVIDIA Graphics Update 2009 [3.2MB download] improves cursor movement when using the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter with the Mini DisplayPort-enabled MacBook Air, MacBook and MacBook Pro introduced this past October.

The patch also improves playback of HD video on the new unibody MacBook Pros with GeForce 9600M graphics cards, as well as legacy Mac systems that include NVIDIA's GeForce 7300 GT chip -- namely the first-generation Mac Pro and Late 2006 24-inch iMac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    OK. Now we just need some new graphics cards for Mac Pros.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Why are there no Nvidia Tools?

When I use Boot Camp the 3d graphics can be massaged to look much nicer in Windows than OSX.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    wow... I can now watch HD movies without having massive frame skips... NICE
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Hopefully, this update will be included in my BTO 17-inch MBP.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by valanchan View Post

Why are there no Nvidia Tools?

When I use Boot Camp the 3d graphics can be massaged to look much nicer in Windows than OSX.

Demand.

A relatively small percentage of Macs have dedicated graphics chips.

Also the gaming customers that typically want these types of features aren't there(yet).
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Demand.

A relatively small percentage of Macs have dedicated graphics chips.

Also the gaming customers that typically want these types of features aren't there(yet).

It's interesting that Intel, Apple, AMD, Microsoft, DELL, HP, IBM, AMI/Phoenix are all board members of UEFI.ORG, but Nvidia is absent from the board.

With Microsoft now inluding EFI in Vista and later Windows 7 there is no reason for Nividia to be all EFI enabled for their GPUs in the near term.

OS X, Linux and Windows Vista all have EFI built-in. Microsoft was last to the game, but they are now in.

We should be seeing greater breadth of GPUs offered by Nvidia, especially with the fast adoption of OpenCL. There should be 200 series cards available when the next Mac Pros are released.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Too bad my 8200 graphics card on my early 2008 Mac Pro stills completely turns off my computer arbitrarily whenever it feels like it...
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Why do I get the nVidia update on my Mac Pro when I don't have a nVidia graphics card? I thought update looked at your system to determine what updates you actually needed.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbcaro View Post

Why do I get the nVidia update on my Mac Pro when I don't have a nVidia graphics card? I thought update looked at your system to determine what updates you actually needed.

That is odd. I just started SU and I didn't see the update. I'm on a Mac Pro with an ATi card.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    This update seems to have improved the efficiency of the drivers. In World of Warcraft I was getting about ~19fps with max resolution and settings. After the update, with the camera positioned exactly as it was before, I achieve ~32fps.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Today's Nividia update does not install on my iMac with 7300GT. Get an alert saying not required on this Mac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

This update seems to have improved the efficiency of the drivers. In World of Warcraft I was getting about ~19fps with max resolution and settings. After the update, with the camera positioned exactly as it was before, I achieve ~32fps.

• Reply 12 of 18
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    . . . .
  • Reply 13 of 18
    boerboer Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plankton View Post

Today's Nividia update does not install on my iMac with 7300GT. Get an alert saying not required on this Mac.

Same here. This update does not appear to be meant for iMacs, just MBPs with 7300 GT.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boer View Post

Same here. This update does not appear to be meant for iMacs, just MBPs with 7300 GT.

Updated my wife's new MBP 15 last night. Worked.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Running this update increased the frequency of glitches where my external monitor goes blank for a second from happening once or twice per 15 minute period to happening every couple of seconds. The issue is either much less frequent or not present when using the discrete graphics chip, still a real annoyance.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I'm having the same issues on my regular late MBP display. When I scroll down I get flashes of blocks, and now webpages are starting to smear since I downloaded the update
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by njbrett View Post

Running this update increased the frequency of glitches where my external monitor goes blank for a second from happening once or twice per 15 minute period to happening every couple of seconds. The issue is either much less frequent or not present when using the discrete graphics chip, still a real annoyance.

I'd say it's more broken than a bug..... Take it for repair!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boer View Post

Yep. Or at least it didn't even show up in software update for my iMac with the GPU in question.