Apple sued over 'broken promises' regarding 3G speeds

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Wait, macFanDave . . .

YOUR anecdotal evidence does indeed have some weight, but mine does not? Why is what I said a "joke"? Should I consider YOUR posting a joke as well?

Just for argument's sake, let's consider what we have both posted here the truth, OK? What makes YOUR experience with the iPhone more representative of its capabilities than anyone else's? OK, granted: Houston's 3G connectivity sucks. Colorado Springs' doesn't. So? Now what? Sue Apple because two people in California and Texas live beneath a steel bridge and can't get a decent signal?

What a country.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

I generally don't like class-action suits, but I have to admit that I kind of agree with this one. I got an iPhone 3G a couple of weeks ago and I am disappointed by its 3G-ness.

I thought web sites would load significantly faster, but they really don't. Also, even though I live and work in a major metropolitan area (and my work is next to a major freeway, which is where a lot of cell towers are concentrated), I am disappointed at how often that I cannot connect to the 3G network. What are they calling that these days? Connectile dysfunction?

Do all the cell phone towers outside your office say AT&T? The large amount of cell towers outside your office may not be AT&T. Guess what Dave, the iPhone 3G does load web pages twice as fast. I did an actual test side by side with my original and a 3G phone in Los Angeles and the 3G beat my original in loading a web page. What websites were you going to? Maybe the sites you go to are slower in general than others. Maybe your office building creates interference. As others said, if you don't like the phone, or it doesn't work well in your area, return it! Read the print next time, 3G is not available in all areas! Did your previous 3G phone work at your office?

This has nothing to do with the iPhone. This only has to do with Apple and their deep pockets. Why isn't anyone suing Sprint or Verizon for their dropped calls and lousy internet? Why aren't all handset makers that offer 3G being sued? People complain about them too. All internet access, whether it is cellular or phone/cable/dsl cannot guarantee speeds at all times. Get a clue.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Quote:

I really don't give a shit about your stupid analogies. The iPhone 3G was specifically sold as being "twice as fast" as the previous iPhone and my experience with sites that I go to multiple times a day shows that it is simply not true. Even "twice as fast" is a modest claim considering the theoretical speeds of 3G vs EDGE. Where the bottleneck is, I don't know, but all I'm saying is that my new iPhone is not head and shoulders better than the old one.

Removing your head from your ass would eliminate one bottleneck. You were asked what proof you had to confirm the iPhone 3G didn't work as expected. You were asked how many other phones you tried in your office to confirm that the iPhone was the problem. You haven't been able to provide any proof except to claim that various websites that only you go to don't load as fast as you think they should. Depending on network traffic, sites do slow down you know. How does your iPhone 3G work when you are away from your office? I am sure you will have various results as you move around the city, because that is how ALL cell phones work! Sometimes I can't get an Edge signal in all areas...am I going to blame Apple? No! The only honest comment you made was that you admit you don't know where the bottleneck is...so stop blaming the phone when you don't even have proof!
  • Reply 24 of 47
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

I really don't give a shit about your stupid analogies. The iPhone 3G was specifically sold as being "twice as fast" as the previous iPhone and my experience with sites that I go to multiple times a day shows that it is simply not true. Even "twice as fast" is a modest claim considering the theoretical speeds of 3G vs EDGE. Where the bottleneck is, I don't know, but all I'm saying is that my new iPhone is not head and shoulders better than the old one.

Why should the solution be a lawsuit? If you don't like the phones performance, return it. What justification do you have to sue, when you can return the phone within a month and get your money back? Can you honestly say Apple owes you money over this?
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Of course you have to sue Apple. AT&T is already covered in the disclaimer about coverage areas. They think they've outsmarted someone by claiming it's not really the service, but the phones ability to connect to the service.

I feel sorry for those with an 8GB iPhone...it's going to hurt when they need to include a 5GB disclaimer file to cover everything!

P.S. My experiences:

-I'm in Dallas.

-With the iPhone, I get 3G in places I had no signal with other phones.

-3G is just as fast as Wi-Fi for me during the day hours on University campus. (Wi-Fi is faster in the evenings.)

-Full pages are loading faster than the mobile versions did on a Blackjack II in the same locations.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

And there is a car dealer who advertises that they are "closer than you think" - first of all, how can they possibly know how close I think it is and what if I think they are too close?

you just made my day.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    ikirikir Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iria View Post

Trust my anecdotal evidence. I work in the cell phone (software) industry and can spread half-a-dozen AT&T 3G phones of differing models in front of me within inches of each other, and have much better results with say, a MOT Q9h than an iPhone.

Not in my experience too. iPhone 3G in download speed is more than twice as fast than my old iPhone EDGE. When you browse you must consider network traffic, page rendering time, how much cpu load the site need. I doubt you see something faster since i can only see video show iPhone faster than any other phone, and you can't compare some crap browsers found in most pda.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

I generally don't like class-action suits, but I have to admit that I kind of agree with this one. I got an iPhone 3G a couple of weeks ago and I am disappointed by its 3G-ness.

I thought web sites would load significantly faster, but they really don't. Also, even though I live and work in a major metropolitan area (and my work is next to a major freeway, which is where a lot of cell towers are concentrated), I am disappointed at how often that I cannot connect to the 3G network. What are they calling that these days? Connectile dysfunction?

So basically you are not happy because of what you thought?!?!?

Have you used other 3G devices to compare web browsing speed? How about other mobiles with non-3G speeds? Tried any of those to have a starting point of what to expect?

Did you check out the coverage maps for 3G on At&t?

If none of the above apply then you are disappointed by some fairy-tale fantasy of ultra high speed browsing. Quit moaning or just take it back.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

And there is a car dealer who advertises that they are "closer than you think" - first of all, how can they possibly know how close I think it is and what if I think they are too close?

HAH!

I used to think the same thing when I was a kid, I mean, how does Byers even know where I live!!!

But seriously, have we as a society forgotten the old adage "your milage may vary"?
  • Reply 30 of 47
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Is it possible that Apple still has some fine tuning to do with the iPhone? Or are we just assuming it's AT&T cuz we are a bunch of fan boi's?

This post brought to you by

The loving memory of Merdhead
  • Reply 31 of 47
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I'm on AT&T with my iPhone and never have connection problems. The speed is good enough that I decline public WiFi spots as not worth the bother.

Clearly cell network performance varies from place to place--nothing new there. My friend on Sprint (non-iPhone) couldn't get a signal in NYC half the time! In his apartment he could--if he stood in the right place.

If I lived somewhere where my particular phone got bad reception, I'd certainly figure that out within the 30 days. And get an iPod Touch instead

But IF the iPhone is actually "broken" by Apple, and there has been an intentional and fraudulent cover-up, then certainly that needs to be brought to light. I doubt it, but I have no problem with the matter being investigated. (If it's just to get an out-of-court "go away" settlement for some lawyers, that's less noble.)
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It's Apple's fault for choosing AT&T.

so then, that would make it the customers fault for choosing the iPhone.

oh hold on, that would involve americans thinking about personal responsibility, and then they couldn't sue every 5 seconds
  • Reply 33 of 47
    First, I can't take back the iPhone 3G. . . I already sold my 2g on craigslist (It is unbelievable how fast iPhones sell on craigslist and how much you can get.) The phone is fine -- it's just that the advertised improvements haven't materialized for me. Don't get me started about the GPS software from TomTom that is supposed to get us turn-by-turn directions. Where is that?

Second, I am surprised that AT&T is not named in the lawsuit. It's probably more their fault than Apple's that the 3G service is spotty and subpar in places. It seems that the point of the lawsuit is to apply pressure to the defendants to live up to their promises. If this action can make Apple and AT&T improve their service to keep this action from going forward, then it really had the best outcome.

Finally, I am sorry that so many of you have become so beaten down by being lied to and abused by liars and serial exaggerators that you feel the need to gang up on people who insist on the truth and attack them. I'm the customer and I am ALWAYS right. If I say I don't get 3G service at work when I think I ought to, I am right. If I say that the sites I go to often (which shows up instantaneously on my Macs at home and my PC at work) don't seem to open much faster on my 3G than on my 2g, I am right.

You can talk all you want about Colorado Springs or Dallas, but my experience is as I have said. And it is not all
  • Reply 34 of 47
    I think this guy Jason Medway and the supposed thousands of others who are part of his class action lawsuit are pathetic individuals. It's as simple as this... you purchased a product with a 30 return policy and you chose not to return it and continue to use it. It's like ordering a pizza, picking it up for takeout, getting home eating some of it then realizing it wasn't the pizza you ordered, eating the rest of it and then demanding your money back plus more from the pizza joint. It's ridiculous!

Now I can only speak for myself, but I live part-time in Las Vegas and part-time in Minneapolis and I also travel at least twice a month and besides the occasional dead spot that I've experienced with every cell phone the service has been great. My 3G speeds are nearly at wifi speeds and are considerably faster than the previous 1st gen iPhone which I gave to my brother.

Now with all that said... If I would have purchased the iPhone 3G on launch day like I did and then noticed over the next couple weeks that the phone just didn't work or the speeds were horrible I would have exchanged it. Then if within another week or so I was still getting slow download speeds over 3G or the reception just sucked I would have simply went back to Apple or AT&T and returned the phone within the agreed time frame and received a refund and then went on my merry way knowing I'd never buy another iPhone again. That's what an educated person would do. It's clear Jason Medway and the supposed thousands of others (which I doubt even exist) are NOT educated and are simply out to try to make a buck my trying to not only screw a company, but also the California and US judicial system.

Hopefully this case will be thrown out and the plaintiff will be forced to pay court and attorney fees.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    What a moron, does he thinks AT&T was a dedicated tower for each user? at any given time there's like 30 to 40 people all sharing the same 3G network around you which also has a internet connection feeding it that's way slower than a regular cable internet service you get at home and on top of that you got people downloading shit straight from itunes now. AT&T needs to get their shit straight i mean the clock is ticking & the only thing holding some user is the iphone, if they don't fix their network by the time their contract is up if Apple, the iPhone side affect are going to hurt the company really bad
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:

First, I can't take back the iPhone 3G. . . I already sold my 2g on craigslist (It is unbelievable how fast iPhones sell on craigslist and how much you can get.)

That sounds like bad planning on your part and is not a fault of Apple or AT&T. When are people going to starting taking responsibility for their own decisions?

Like I said in my previous post... I gave my 1st gen iPhone to my brother, but I sure as hell didn't do that until after I used mine for a while to make sure it was what I wanted. Shit, I did the same thing with the first gen iPhone. I didn't just throw my old cell phone in the trash just cause I bought this new one from Apple. I held on to it just in case the iPhone didn't live up to the hype.

It's amazing how bad decisions and no planning by individuals makes some people think a lawsuit for their ignorance is the solution.

Now on the other hand if Apple and AT&T had a "NO RETURN POLICY" then I could understand these same people's frustration a bit more. As we all know that's simply not the case.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Finally, I am sorry that so many of you have become so beaten down by being lied to and abused by liars and serial exaggerators that you feel the need to gang up on people who insist on the truth and attack them. I'm the customer and I am ALWAYS right. If I say I don't get 3G service at work when I think I ought to, I am right. If I say that the sites I go to often (which shows up instantaneously on my Macs at home and my PC at work) don't seem to open much faster on my 3G than on my 2g, I am right.

It was your aggressive abusive tone that prompted all the replies. And the fact that you didn't substantiate your claims. Additionally, it makes no sense to sue Apple if you don't get 3g at your office. Vent your spleen, by all means, but don't get stupid about it. I mean, I don't feel beaten down and abused, but I guess if you say so... (Its good to know you are there to speak for us and to seek the truth where us morons fear to go)
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

Don't get me started about the GPS software from TomTom that is supposed to get us turn-by-turn directions. Where is that?

Where is it supposed to be? Apple forbids turn by turn in the SDK agreement. TomTom took the risk of going ahead with development and telling everyone about it. Apple will allow it when they're ready to allow it, not when TomTom says they have something ready.

Quote:

Second, I am surprised that AT&T is not named in the lawsuit. It's probably more their fault than Apple's that the 3G service is spotty and subpar in places. It seems that the point of the lawsuit is to apply pressure to the defendants to live up to their promises. If this action can make Apple and AT&T improve their service to keep this action from going forward, then it really had the best outcome.

I think that's the whole point of the arguments. it's an AT&T service issue that varies between people in different. Which leads to...

Quote:

You can talk all you want about Colorado Springs or Dallas, but my experience is as I have said. And it is not all

A lot of people are providing evidence of perfect operation of their iPhone 3G to contrast the claim in the lawsuit. I don't think that most people in this thread think you're wrong or lying about your experience, but many think that if you make a big deal about it in this thread, you agree that the iPhone is not capable of twice the speed. Naturally, they argue that it can because theirs works fine. For the lawsuit, the burden of proof lies on the claim that it can't do that. We could probably trade phones, and we'd still have the same experience. If that's true, Apple isn't profiting from known faulty phones, which is what the law suit claims and many disagree with.

Either way though, if makes AT&T better for more people, that's not a bad thing. The method just isn't ideal.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I think a lot of people's expectations are simply unrealistic. Cell coverage has always been sketchy. It is just that it has gotten so good lately that people expect it to be 100% all the time. AT&T tries to estimate future demand in a given area to plan their build outs. Many times those estimates need adjustment but they try to meet the demand based on analysis of historical usage data. Constructing towers and increasing bandwidth takes some planning and time.

This whole 3G thing is new in the US so it will get a little better all the time. Early adopters need to have some patience.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

I have the original iPhone and I've experienced a lot of issues after Hurricane Ike. There still areas that I don't get an EDGE signal that I used to, and places I do get a signal seem slower than before.

Considering how much damage I still see around Houston, it wouldn't surprise me the least if AT&T still has repairs pending.