New I-macs may be here soon.

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

As I say, the fact that desktop sales are so low indicates that people don't see any value in what Apple's desktops have. Not when PC manufacturers are now selling machines double the speed for 2/3rds the price.

In the conference call Cook said that Apple believes the value of the Mac is in its software. As long as the machines in the retail stores run iWork and iLife, I suppose they could care less.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

In the conference call Cook said that Apple believes the value of the Mac is in its software. As long as the machines in the retail stores run iWork and iLife, I suppose they could care less.

I think he's full of flaming shiza.

If software is the key driver for Apple then they wouldn't give a damn about high volume products like the mini IMO. I realize the profit is lower on a $700 computer but Apple's reluctance to keep the perfect switchers computer relevant speaks volumes about how they view their hardware vs software value equation.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    Damn you nut cases for making stories up.

I am waiting for the new iMac line up to upgrade my G4.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    The end of the iMac line, if this article is to be believed:

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008...end-apple-imac

It's not as crazy as it sounds. With the current deep recession pricing the iMac beyond many users and the increasing demands for CPU cooling with Intel's new Core i7 and latest-generation Xeon CPU's, Apple may come to the realization that the iMac may no longer be economically viable.

We could see a "fallback" position where the iMac is phased out in favor of this: a small tower machine that looks like the Mac Pro but at 1/3 the height. This machine will sport these features:

1) Mac Pro-inspired case design so it can cool the Core i7 or the fastest Core 2 Duo CPU's properly.

2) The usage of more standardized parts to reduce production cost. It may use the nVidia GeForce 9400M GPU in conjunction with the latest nForce motherboard chipset. A PCIe slot allows the use of more advanced graphics cards.

3) Six USB 2.0/3.0 ports (four rear and two front), one FireWire 400 port and one FireWire 800 port in rear for lower end models, plus a second FireWire 400 port and FireWire 800 port in front for higher end models.

4) DVI-D monitor connection with HDCP standard, possibly Mini DisplayPort with HDCP if price is reasonable.

5) Will include the current Mac keyboard and Mighty Mouse mouse pointer like it is with the iMac.

Such a machine will cost around US$700 to US$850 "out the door" depending on configuration.

I can see an additional money-saving move as Apple get out of the LCD monitor business, instead providing a certification spec to monitor manufacturers like LG, NEC, Samsung, Viewsonic, etc. to build 20" and bigger LCD monitors that meets Apple specifications for visual quality.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

The end of the iMac line, if this article is to be believed:

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008...end-apple-imac

It's not as crazy as it sounds. With the current deep recession pricing the iMac beyond many users and the increasing demands for CPU cooling with Intel's new Core i7 and latest-generation Xeon CPU's, Apple may come to the realization that the iMac may no longer be economically viable.

We could see a "fallback" position where the iMac is phased out in favor of this: a small tower machine that looks like the Mac Pro but at 1/3 the height.

I don't mean to be rude, but this looks like nothing more than a disguised version of the xMac legend sporting the economic recession hat. However, a quick reality check shows that Apple, even during this recession, introduced a new design for the Macbook line and it actually increased the price to cover the increase in manufacturing cost.
  • Reply 46 of 77
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I don't mean to be rude, but this looks like nothing more than a disguised version of the xMac legend sporting the economic recession hat. However, a quick reality check shows that Apple, even during this recession, introduced a new design for the Macbook line and it actually increased the price to cover the increase in manufacturing cost.

Forget xMac then. Call it the rMac (recession).
  • Reply 47 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Forget xMac then. Call it the rMac (recession).

Anyway, I don't think this is coming any time soon.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    I don't think the iMac will go away any time soon.

But I can see it split in 2 - because of the underlying industry trends.

Instead of the 20" iMac we will see a 'laptop' or mobile desktop eventually.

A widescreen 20" display could work in a laptop. It will be huge, but still much portable than an iMac. And easier to stash away. And it might be big enough to come with an 'all day' battery.

MacBooks constantly ate into the iMac line. Anyone remember the 15" 'sunflower' iMac? Or the 17" one? Both these sizes are gone from the iMac line. And I predict the 20" iMac will be next. Maybe not this year, but likely not later than next year.

Instead of the 24" iMac we will see a more expandable desktop. It won't be the xMac, but I can imagine Apple making the iMac a tad bit thicker while accommodating more user serviceable parts and perhaps even one PCI card slot.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Instead of the 24" iMac we will see a more expandable desktop. It won't be the xMac, but I can imagine Apple making the iMac a tad bit thicker while accommodating more user serviceable parts and perhaps even one PCI card slot.

I don't know about a PCI card slot, but maybe a laptop-style PCMIA slot right below the CD drive. Maybe even a replaceable hard drive, and a space for a second. However, I don't see much as is, unless they split the line with Imac and iMac Pros, which would seem silly. They still need a pro model below $2000, and I don't know if a beefed up iMac is what is needed.
  • Reply 50 of 77
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

I don't know about a PCI card slot, but maybe a laptop-style PCMIA slot right below the CD drive. Maybe even a replaceable hard drive, and a space for a second. However, I don't see much as is, unless they split the line with Imac and iMac Pros, which would seem silly. They still need a pro model below $2000, and I don't know if a beefed up iMac is what is needed.

PCMCIA is old old old technology. We have some acceptable solutions for SFF machines now, like MXM slots that offer up to x16 PCIe speeds (Apple currently uses this tech in the 24" iMac) and PCI Express mini cards for everything else (wireless cards, future USB 3 ports, etc.).

Example of MXM card:

• Reply 51 of 77
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Instead of the 20" iMac we will see a 'laptop' or mobile desktop eventually. A widescreen 20" display could work in a laptop. It will be huge, but still much portable than an iMac. And easier to stash away. And it might be big enough to come with an 'all day' battery.

I don't know how long you have been around this forum but I brought up the idea many many years ago of a 20" PowerBook. I got very mixed reactions to the idea. Now that we are seeing the unibody concept, I can see a 20" MacBook Pro taking the void of a 20" iMac. I would like to see Apple get its recently announced 17" MacBook Pro shipping first though \

Edit: And I would consider buying a 20-inch MacBook Pro if Apple made one. It would depend on its thickness and overall design, but I would consider it.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    A 20" laptop. I've heard some stupid ideas before, but this is the first time one has turned my stomach at its absurdity and excess.

My face falls into my hand and I am incensed that I live in such a world. The headless Mac is near death and people want a hinge binding a 20" display and keyboard together. What is wrong with reality. Why not turn your kitchen cabinet into computer. That would be even easier to "stash away." Portability, in what universe? 20" is larger than most pizza boxes.

I will take seriously the fact that people are suggesting this and consider suicide once more. Then I will try to forget this, go to sleep, and attempt to live another day with the hope that Apple is still a company that makes computers.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

A 20" laptop. I've heard some stupid ideas before, but this is the first time one has turned my stomach at its absurdity and excess.

What do you mean? 20" laptops are out in the market for years now.
  • Reply 54 of 77
    I really want to buy a new iMac before uni starts at the end of this month. Is it likely that a new iMac is released by the end of this month?

Should I just buy the current top-end iMac model if there isn't an update by the end of the month, or should I try and wait it out till the new models come (which would be when?)...bit of a dilemma.

By the way, do updates happen only on Tuesdays?

And.. if I buy an iMac, and then, say, a month later, a new model is released. Can I return my iMac and exchange it for a newer model, somehow?
  • Reply 55 of 77
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danz90 View Post

I really want to buy a new iMac before uni starts at the end of this month. Is it likely that a new iMac is released by the end of this month?

Should I just buy the current top-end iMac model if there isn't an update by the end of the month, or should I try and wait it out till the new models come (which would be when?)...bit of a dilemma.

And.. if I buy an iMac, and then, say, a month later, a new model is released. Can I return my iMac and exchange it for a newer model, somehow?

I think chances of an iMac update happening this month are pretty good (50/50). I would wait if I were you, as it should be a fairly nice update. I'd say 90% chance they are updated by the end of March, and 99% chance they are updated by the end of April.

Updates typically happen on Tuesdays, but by no means do updates occur exclusively on Tuesdays.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    Quote:

I think Tuesday releases are designed to maximise weekend press coverage. Even minor config updates seem to roll out on Tuesdays.

If you buy from the online Apple Store, you can return a computer in unused condition (no seals broken) for a full refund within a period determined by the agreement in force in your country. In the EU this is 14 days.

The iMac update is well overdue. The various theories as to why this is the case converge upon waiting for something else to be released at the same time, e.g. Snow Leopard (nearing completion despite the 'A' designation in the recent restricted developer's release) and the amount of existing iMac inventory still in the system, given that sales fell 25% year on year against an expected increase.

Notice to resellers has been given of restricted availability of iMacs over the coming weeks. I would expect an announcement next Tuesday, or the one following, of an Apple event one week later.

Waiting on infinite loop can be trying.
  • Reply 57 of 77
    Quote:

14 Days only. Unopened, If opened there is a 15% restocking fee.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

The end of the iMac line

Over Steve's not-yet-dead body.

That article has ZERO even alleged inside info and is merely a transparent attempt at page hits via a sensationalist headline. Macs are too expensive, people want netbooks, blah, blah, blah.

The iMac isn't going anywhere.
  • Reply 59 of 77
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The iMac isn't going anywhere. It's the desktops that aren't selling so well that have the more interesting fates.

Something someone said on another thread got me thinking: Right now the mini is just about, but not quite, a portable little box. So imagine shrinking it, maybe even down to the point where it needs to borrow the MacBook Air's external DVD drive. Now imagine having the new 24" monitor and (ideally wireless) keyboard and mouse. You can take the mini with you and just plug in and go wherever you are.

But why do this instead of getting a MacBook? Well, let's say there's a touch screen on top that presents an iPhone-style interface. The mini is now a tablet.

There will still be a model without the screen for the people who currently use and prefer the mini for colocation and POS (although Apple is doing some interesting work with tablet POS systems already).
  • Reply 60 of 77
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,818member
    If it meant having an expandable mini-tower (PM G4 size) I would be all for dropping the iMac. The only thing I worry about is education sales. Schools love iMacs for labs. Yes, schools buy laptops and mobile carts, but not all schools have mobile carts, or not enough to satisfy the needs of the school. This is where computer labs make up the difference. Maybe make the 20" iMac the new eMac and keep it educational only? Then drop the 24" model altogether. Then upgrade the MacMini to current standards and you have a nice lineup of cheap, middle and expensive (MacMini, xMac, and MacPro) computers. I think it would also increase sales of their displays if priced right, especially now if they include an iSight cam and speakers.