Showtime With the Apollo on 01/20/02 (that's 20/01/02 to the Europeans)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    NO! You aren't allowed to join Michael in the No PM before Feb 1. club! It is forbidden to go against all the rumors and specualtion that we believe in! We forbid it!

G5s TOMORROW!!
  • Reply 42 of 72
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    LOL!

You forget that I am not a Mac user so your feeble powers have no effect on me! Whahahaha.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    I swear I saw a post on Jan 7 here or on xlr8yourmac's forum about new PMs being previewed on Jan 22. So this seems to confirm that, unless the same person provided both leaks.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    G5s will be introduced. The Apollo isn't ready yet, and it is destined for consumer computers.

G4 iMac is the last piece of evidence that the powermacs will go G5.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    HAHAHA you have all been fooled. Apple is taking a leaf outta Netscape's book and jumping straight to the G6!!

So there really won't be a G5...
  • Reply 46 of 72
    eweek.com says this-

[quote]

That's why I'm happy to make one more prediction for January: While those blazing new G4 towers didn't make the cut at Jobs' consumer-focused Expo presentation, Apple will move to adjust the imbalance of power in its product grid before the month is out.

As last week's events demonstrate, my crystal ball is far from flawless. Nevertheless, my best information indicates that within the next few weeks, Apple will convene a special media event to take the wraps off new Power Mac G4 systems based on Motorola's powerful new Apollo chip -- a system that will probably ship in February. If the pro hardware is everything that early testers have reported, Apple will decisively answer the lingering <hr></blockquote>

but I still like this better-

<a href="http://www.geek.com/procspec/apple/g5.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.geek.com/procspec/apple/g5.htm</a>;
  • Reply 47 of 72
    Okay, glad to see a 'cheerful' KidRed has returned. And for what it's worth, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm going to stick with my prediction and will happily post an apology if January sees a 'new' Power Mac.

For what it's worth I'll be keeping an eye on that promo banner, and if it disappears from the Apple site anytime soon I'll be the first one to shout about it.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    The twentieth is a Sunday.

22nd is the earliest date, methinks.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 49 of 72
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    G5 anounced and on display at MW Tokyo.

Watch this space......................
  • Reply 50 of 72
    JYD: back on the crack again, after a week or so of relative sanity.

SdC
  • Reply 51 of 72
    At this point nobody knows anything for real because there is so much speculation that the next Powermac specs have become a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.
  • Reply 53 of 72
    Actually it's smack, not crack. Bad habit, don't even go there...
  • Reply 54 of 72
    OK, I've been into the glue again...

The planets will align the week of Jan. 27th. Late in the week, Apple will announce new PowerMacs powered by the revolutionary new G5 chip. In typical Jobs bravado, the new Mac is heralded in a SuperBowl commercial that again re-defines what a SuperBowl ad is supposed to be.

It's FUN to sniff the glue!

:eek:
  • Reply 55 of 72
    Wow, that would defiantely rock. Release the G5 and then have a superbowl ad featuring the new iMac, the new G5 and the iPod and say how Apple is God and the digital hub is Apple's idea and windows suck.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    I'd like to see two Apple ads: one touting the iMac/iBook digital hub philosophy (for maximum exposure to the consumer side of the biz), and another touting the fastest computer out there: The new G4. Maybe a new snail ad, or something.

SdC
  • Reply 57 of 72
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>...and another touting the fastest computer out there: The new G4. Maybe a new snail ad, or something.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hee hee...you're funny. Slacker's gonna love that 20 GB iPod!
  • Reply 58 of 72
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    As much as I'd like it, I don't expect anything new this month.

I mean, come on... Would Apple really use MacWorld just to tout iMacs and iPhoto when they could have announced the new PMs as well? Hell no! I can just hear Stevie now...

"Well we've got these super-awesome, wicked-fast towers but rather than announcing them at MacWorld when all the world's listening I think we'll wait 3 weeks just to spite the rumormongers! He he he... Ha ha ha..."
  • Reply 59 of 72
    A SuperBowl ad is the best explanation yet.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    [quote]Originally posted by Xool:

<strong>As much as I'd like it, I don't expect anything new this month.

I mean, come on... Would Apple really use MacWorld just to tout iMacs and iPhoto when they could have announced the new PMs as well? Hell no! I can just hear Stevie now...

"Well we've got these super-awesome, wicked-fast towers but rather than announcing them at MacWorld when all the world's listening I think we'll wait 3 weeks just to spite the rumormongers! He he he... Ha ha ha..."</strong><hr></blockquote>

Here is why that arguement doesn't fly...

The iMac has considerably higher margins than the PowerMac line. As such you rely on that to keep your business in a solvent position, it allows you to spend money on r&d, etc. If you have 1) new iMacs and 2) new PowerMacs, and you introduce them both at the same time you have the following scenario:

You blow your wad in one big "OH!" You make a lot of noise for a short period of time, and the short term effect is amazing, but your "girlfriend" is sitting there 5 minutes later asking herself "Is that all there is?"

Additionally, you "wow" her with the size and speed of one of your new machines, but what will please her are the "small" things, foreplay etc, ala iMac. Not to mention that these things get you far better positioned for the "Next Big Thing".

So, you are a great one night stand, and that is it.

If Apple had shown the G? at MWSF the effect of both announcements would have been blunted and the long-term effect would be less significant.

Let's just hope that the iMac is foreplay, and we have yet to see "The Next Big Thing."