Analyst now says iMacs likely in both dual- and quad-core

Comments

• Reply 101 of 143
    Why does everyone think that because there is reduced availability/delayed shipment of iMacs, until Feb 4, that there will be an iMac update this tuesday?
  • Reply 102 of 143
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danz90 View Post

Why does everyone think that because there is reduced availability/delayed shipment of iMacs, until Feb 4, that there will be an iMac update this tuesday?

I don't think Apple specifically said 'until Feb 4' in its notice.

However, iMacs have not been updated for a long time, so it's only logical that a reduction in the current inventory means that new ones are coming soon.

If it's tomorrow, all the better.
  • Reply 103 of 143
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

No software definitely blows a big hole in your comparison. Computer components in a case with no software is completely useless. Once you add Windows and an iLife suite equivalent your machine would be more expensive than the iMac.

The other important factor that needs to be taken into your comparison is the fact that the iMac is 10 months old. Compared with a computer built of current parts.

No, not really. Windows Vista Home Premium is about NZ$190 (US$90) in OEM... which you are entitled if you have your PC built in the shop. Actually, many shops will sell you OEM even if you don't purchase all parts from them.

Office 2007 Basic OEM you can get for a bit bellow US$150... I think. But you can do fine with Open Office for home use, and it is free.

At the end of a day, even if you purchase both Windows and Office, significantly more powerful PC (from my example) still comes almost US$200 bellow iMac... and we are talking about PC made of good components and, hardware wise, stronger than Mac in every aspect (in some cases, completely different league).

If you match them spec for spec (which would be much easier if we'd know exactly what brand/output power is used for iMac, which motherboard and other info not easily available), price difference would be close to double - even with software purchase.

True iMac is 10 months old, but price is current... and that is the problem; Apple is charging too much money for 10 months old hardware. they should go down with prices for their current hardware, and introduce new hardware with prices current hardware is carrying. They would make less money per sold computer, but they would (presumably) sell more computers thus making comparable income, and get more market share...
  • Reply 104 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I don't think Apple specifically said 'until Feb 4' in its notice.

However, iMacs have not been updated for a long time, so it's only logical that a reduction in the current inventory means that new ones are coming soon.

If it's tomorrow, all the better.

Do you expect an iMac refresh by the end of February?

What's the most likely way that new iMacs are announced... via the Apple website?
  • Reply 105 of 143
    Quote:

The majority of other software found no advantage from quad as they don't need to use four cores. Which essentially is my point.

....In the larger scope of the most widely used software, 3D modeling is a niche. That isn't good or bad, its just the truth.

I'm unable to view what looks like an Anandtech article so I don't know what software was tested.. But yes, in the context of the mainstream consumer, applications that take readily to high numbers of processing cores are rare for the time being...

Quote:

Most who need 3D modeling, image processing, scientific simulations are primarily using workstations that have been using four/eight cores for the past 3 years. Not an iMac or machines from Best Buy.

Indeed.. I forgot we were talking about the iMac. I have a million tabs open right now and am participating in multiple threads, and thought I was in the Mac Pro discussion.
  • Reply 106 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danz90 View Post

Do you expect an iMac refresh by the end of February?

What's the most likely way that new iMacs are announced... via the Apple website?

If a significant update is coming, they will probably stage a press event (they haven't advised of one yet).

If the update was going to be today, they probably would have issued the limited stock advisory sooner to resellers (which they didn't). However, end of Feb isn't out of the question. I think 4 weeks is plenty of notice for resellers.

The other possibility is that even if new iMacs are ready, they may hold on for Snow Leopard so they will have a multi-core Mac to show off Snow Leopard's ability's on. Hopefully not, but entirely feasible.
  • Reply 107 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by T-rex View Post

If a significant update is coming, they will probably stage a press event (they haven't advised of one yet).

If the update was going to be today, they probably would have issued the limited stock advisory sooner to resellers (which they didn't). However, end of Feb isn't out of the question. I think 4 weeks is plenty of notice for resellers.

The other possibility is that even if new iMacs are ready, they may hold on for Snow Leopard so they will have a multi-core Mac to show off Snow Leopard's ability's on. Hopefully not, but entirely feasible.

I was having a look at a catalogue for a Dept Store which is an Apple Reseller.. and they said that they now have access to Limited Stock of iMacs.
  • Reply 108 of 143
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Nothing I've said disputes the fact that their are high level applications that take advantage of more than 2 cores. These are extremely few..

I wonder if we aren't about to see more apps take advantage of multi core cpus (>2). In fact I believe we're about to see apps begin to take advantage of the power that the current processors can bring to bear on computing.

Example: The new iMovie has an image stabilization feature. The analysis however can take quite some time. In fact I saw in a thread at Ars that 3 hours of video requires about 10 hours of analysis. This is an area where additional cpu grunt would be beneficial to the end user and this is a 'consumer' app not a 'high level' app.

Does anyone know if iMovie 09 takes advantage of more than 2 cores?

Edit: I asked Jason Snell at MW if he knew. Will post back when I get an answer.
  • Reply 109 of 143
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

No, not really. Windows Vista Home Premium is about NZ$190 (US$90) in OEM... which you are entitled if you have your PC built in the shop. Actually, many shops will sell you OEM even if you don't purchase all parts from them.

Apple isn't giving you a cheaper Home Premium version of OS X. OS X equates to Vista Ultimate.

Quote:

Office 2007 Basic OEM you can get for a bit bellow US$150... I think. But you can do fine with Open Office for home use, and it is free.

iLife isn't equivalent to MS Office. iLife includes video editing, web authoring, audio production, photo management, DVD authoring.

Quote:

True iMac is 10 months old, but price is current... and that is the problem; Apple is charging too much money for 10 months old hardware. they should go down with prices for their current hardware, and introduce new hardware with prices current hardware is carrying. They would make less money per sold computer, but they would (presumably) sell more computers thus making comparable income, and get more market share...

Depends on how you look at it. The 10 month old iMac will do its job just was well today as it did its job 10 months ago. Most people are not involved in the "who has the better specs" race. Most people simply buy a new computer when they need one.
  • Reply 110 of 143
    Ah, OK.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Indeed.. I forgot we were talking about the iMac. I have a million tabs open right now and am participating in multiple threads, and thought I was in the Mac Pro discussion.

• Reply 111 of 143
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I wonder if we aren't about to see more apps take advantage of multi core cpus (>2). In fact I believe we're about to see apps begin to take advantage of the power that the current processors can bring to bear on computing.

Example: The new iMovie has an image stabilization feature. The analysis however can take quite some time. In fact I saw in a thread at Ars that 3 hours of video requires about 10 hours of analysis. This is an area where additional cpu grunt would be beneficial to the end user and this is a 'consumer' app not a 'high level' app.

Does anyone know if iMovie 09 takes advantage of more than 2 cores?

Edit: I asked Jason Snell at MW if he knew. Will post back when I get an answer.

I'd better dollarz 3 donutz that iLife '10 will. Apple tends to trail the newest OS features by a software revision generation. That way when they deliver the new features there's a significant portion of users who will be able to use the new features. For example

Leopard has been shipping for a year with Core Animation goodness but Apple has only just recently embraced Core Animation heavily in iLife with the '09 version. Thus I do not believe Apple would hold off any computer announcement for Snow Leopard. We probably won't see a "Blocks" or OpenCL enabled version of iLife until 2010 2H (i'm guessing the next iLife announcement. By then Snow Leopard will have had a few revisions and there will be millions of SL Macs in the wild.
  • Reply 112 of 143
    Quote:

If you are interested in making a fair and equal comparison, iLife comes with the iMac and is apart of the cost of the machine.

You did not even add the price of an operating system in your PC configuration.

Um, ? Okay fine knock of a whopping $79 dollars from the cost then? Plus yes I did figure in a copy of the OS, not really sure what you talking about.
  • Reply 113 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Don't forget the PITA factor of running maintenance/virus/malware software to keep the PC clean.

*Sigh*... over 10 years building PC's, never had a virus/worm/malware issue. Why? Firewalls, don't use Torrents/Illegal sharing software/Massive amounts of downloaded Pron. And even if you do have an anti virus scanner you turn it on and it scans in the background, like Time Machine does backups while you work.
  • Reply 114 of 143
    I hate virus scanners. Great if you have the latest CPU but sucks if you are grasping for every bit of speed that you need.
  • Reply 115 of 143
    So the $300 for Windows Vista Ultimate is included in your $989 total? The rest of those components only cost $689?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

Um, ? Okay fine knock of a whopping $79 dollars from the cost then? Plus yes I did figure in a copy of the OS, not really sure what you talking about.

• Reply 116 of 143
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Apple isn't giving you a cheaper Home Premium version of OS X. OS X equates to Vista Ultimate.

Retail price difference between Home Premium and Ultimate is $50-60... I think. OEM difference should not be over $30... but you don't need Ultimate's extra features for home use, and I presume we are doing that scenario. Nevertheless.

Quote:

iLife isn't equivalent to MS Office. iLife includes video editing, web authoring, audio production, photo management, DVD authoring.

My bad, got it mixed with iWork. Doesn't change picture much, though. You'll get some DVD burning/authoring/video editing software with DVD burner. Photo management... Windows Photo Gallery is there, you can get Picasa for free. Audio editing and web, worst possible scenario - you can buy it for the price of Office I stated in my previous post.

Quote:

Depends on how you look at it. The 10 month old iMac will do its job just was well today as it did its job 10 months ago. Most people are not involved in the "who has the better specs" race. Most people simply buy a new computer when they need one.

Sorry, it does not work for me. It is like saying 8X DVD burner is burning DVDs as fast as it did 2 years ago when it was introduced, so why not keep it at $100? Or, PS3 plays all the games it did when introduced, plus many more... so I guess it should be even more expensive..? IT gear goes down with price relative to ever-changing market and available competition. If Apple can hold on pricing (or reduce them less than competition) and still make good living, good for them... but that automatically makes them utterly unattractive to me. Now... Jobs did mention Apple would like more of a market share... I think they'll have to readjust their pricing policy in order to achieve that.

Don't get me wrong, I do want much stronger Apple (in terms of market share - they are already as strong and healthy as IT company goes) in same way I want stronger AMD... more competition equals better products and more effort from everyone. But... with current pricing policy from Apple, I just don't see that happening.
  • Reply 117 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Retail price difference between Home Premium and Ultimate is $50-60... I think. OEM difference should not be over $30... but you don't need Ultimate's extra features for home use, and I presume we are doing that scenario. Nevertheless.

People like to nickel and dime down the cost of their PC comparisons, to prove that Macs are unrealistically expensive. Apple offers the full version of OS X, so it should be compared to the full version of Windows.

Looking around I see Vista Ultimate for $260 - $340.

Quote:

Doesn't change picture much, though. You'll get some DVD burning/authoring/video editing software with DVD burner. Photo management... Windows Photo Gallery is there, you can get Picasa for free. Audio editing and web, worst possible scenario - you can buy it for the price of Office I stated in my previous post.

I've never used any of them. But from what I hear those Windows installed apps are nowhere near the quality of iLife. Few people actually use them and end up purchasing software.

Quote:

Sorry, it does not work for me. It is like saying 8X DVD burner is burning DVDs as fast as it did 2 years ago when it was introduced, so why not keep it at $100? Or, PS3 plays all the games it did when introduced, plus many more... so I guess it should be even more expensive..? IT gear goes down with price relative to ever-changing market and available competition. If Apple can hold on pricing (or reduce them less than competition) and still make good living, good for them... but that automatically makes them utterly unattractive to me. Now... Jobs did mention Apple would like more of a market share... I think they'll have to readjust their pricing policy in order to achieve that.

Don't get me wrong, I do want much stronger Apple (in terms of market share - they are already as strong and healthy as IT company goes) in same way I want stronger AMD... more competition equals better products and more effort from everyone. But... with current pricing policy from Apple, I just don't see that happening.

While I agree with you the current iMac is supremely long in the tooth. I wouldn't buy one right now knowing they will be updated at some point soon.

Most people aren't paying any attention to Apple's refresh cycles and buy a new computer when they need one. If Apple can sell a computer at the higher price why lower them. Of course Apple wants to grow marketshare, but they have clearly stated they will not do so at the expense of profits.

I have a friend who was looking to buy a MacBook Pro right before the refresh in October. I told him he should wait because Apple was about to have a major update soon. He said he didn't care about that, he needed a computer right then. Their are many people who feel the same way.
  • Reply 118 of 143
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'd better dollarz 3 donutz that iLife '10 will. .

Looks like you're right.

Haven't heard back from Jason Snell but a member at Ars ran iMovie analysis feature through their quad core Mac pro and apparently it only uses 2 cores for that function.
  • Reply 119 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Looks like you're right.

Haven't heard back from Jason Snell but a member at Ars ran iMovie analysis feature through their quad core Mac pro and apparently it only uses 2 cores for that function.

This is exactly why I want Snow Leopard to be as close to free if not free. Apple won't deliver the big features until there are millions to create a cacophony of adultation towards the Cupertino Pantheon.

We also need to move to Quad Core and i'm not talking about Quad in Apple's $1499+ configs. We're in a chicken-egg scenario here. If I'm a developer why would I expend the programming energy breaking my program into threading Blocks if the only Quad Core machines are higher end iMac configs and Mac Pro?

We need 3 Quad iMac configs with this next refresh. The refresh after that is going to have a 8 threads to manage ..best to battle test Snow Leopard from the jump.
  • Reply 120 of 143
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

*Sigh*... over 10 years building PC's, never had a virus/worm/malware issue. Why? Firewalls, don't use Torrents/Illegal sharing software/Massive amounts of downloaded Pron. And even if you do have an anti virus scanner you turn it on and it scans in the background, like Time Machine does backups while you work.

You always get a retort like this when you mention malware and viruses. I'm glad you haven't had any issues in this regard. Millions have.

I played lotto once and got 5 #s and won almost $800. But I don't extrapolate my experience to the general population.