Apple planning connected television, Apple TV with DVR - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    From having gathered various Apple patents related to television and multi-touch, Piper Jaffray expects Apple to release a touch screen HDTV in the near future.

Note: Rob Enderle contributed to this report.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

Two things to keep in mind:

1.Apple makes money when you rent a movie or buy something on iTunes. It makes nothing when you record your cable broadcasts. It also makes nothing when you buy or rent DVDs.

2. AppleTV is the only product that Apple sells for less than it costs to make. It relies on revenue from iTunes rentals to make up for this loss.

Given those two facts, why would Apple want to augment this device to draw people AWAY from iTunes content? And why would it want to be forced into negotiations with Cable companies, considering how much flak it already gets from its dealings with AT&T?

Just because you want it to happen doesn't make it a good business move for Apple.

If you really want a DVR, use Elgato's EyeTV. It exports everything I record directly to the AppleTV. Works perfectly.

Why are there so many on here that are so solely concerned with Apple making money and not the consumer getting more for his ?

If Apple should only continue to be making profits on a product they are selling to me- than they should only charge $50 for the AppleTV because that's basically what's its worth to me. It's worth more to Apple then it is to me. Why should Apple keep making money off of my machine.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by God of Biscuits View Post

From having gathered various Apple patents related to television and multi-touch, Piper Jaffray expects Apple to release a touch screen HDTV in the near future.

Note: Rob Enderle contributed to this report.

Well adding his name does ruin any possible ounce of credibility to this story, but saying that I have believed Apple were making a TV before I read it. They simply are.
  • Reply 24 of 86
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Are the pop-under ads really necessary?
  • Reply 25 of 86
    drobo plus a mac mini equals a great home setup, but I'd love to see dvr on the mac. Common usage for that would require a tunable input signal from sat or digital cable. DirecTV partnered with TiVo years ago (and still does): it's not improbable that Apple could do a similar deal.

When you consider the amount of bandwidth available from a heavy satellite user like DirecTV, versus relying on cable or dsl service, a DTV or Dish partnership integrated with AppleTV could leverage the satellite download speeds for the larger Apple rentals.

cool ideas. I'm not holding my breath for the all-in-one tv, though.
  • Reply 26 of 86
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Hey, I want to join in on the random predictions as well!

1. AppleTV will include compatibility with iPhone games in a 2009 update.

2. AppleTV will include an iPod dock in the next hardware update

3. You'll be able to easily sync all content between AppleTV and iPhone

A DVR? Maybe. Who doesn't already have one that wants one?
  • Reply 27 of 86
    Reads like a wish-list to me too. However I can see Apple TV with a PVR being a massive hit. It's the main reason I'm holding off getting one.

Now, since were tossing random ideas around, can I ask for it to have a built in Freeview decoder for the UK market?
  • Reply 28 of 86
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga

A DVR? Maybe. Who doesn't already have one that wants one?

A question I have about the DVR idea is; where's the need for a DVR if Apple ends up offering an iTunes TV subscription service? There could be a few tears. Basic, Premium and All-you-can-eat/watch. Music would remain al-a-carté, as would movies, but TV shows are "different" - a subscription service for TV shows would be a killer service. Of course this service would require two exceptions; "live" news and "live" sport. A dashboard like widget system would also be killer. One dedicated button on the "newly designed" remote for this. Would be very handy for getting access to information like weather or the lotto numbers for example.

To be clear: you don't need to record stuff if you can stream it from iTunes to your TV, whenever you choose.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    stwstw Posts: 21member
    There is: Common Interface

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-CI

Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

3. What about satellite? There's no equivalent to CableCard for satellite users.

Here 50% of all household have satellite TV, most of them using Common Interface modules.

I am tired to hear this US centric discussions every six months. I don't see Apple producing 5-10 variants of AppleTV for the different TV standards.

Next: Analyst predicts that Apple will have to produce a CDMA iPhone in the next 12 month.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webweasel View Post

Reads like a wish-list to me too. However I can see Apple TV with a PVR being a massive hit. It's the main reason I'm holding off getting one.

Now, since were tossing random ideas around, can I ask for it to have a built in Freeview decoder for the UK market?

i for one agree with you! bring on the age of the apple hditv or whatever they plan to call it.http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...s/1biggrin.gif
  • Reply 32 of 86
    10 million HDTVs per year may be a real market, but so is the 30 million tower PCs sold every year in the US and Apple completely ignores that market.

I don't believe that Apple can deliver television over IP. Most internet service providers have bandwidth caps that prevent large scale video downloading. When you don't control the means of distribution you're stuck playing by someone else's rules.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    "Developing..."

No siren?
  • Reply 34 of 86
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

investment bank Piper Jaffray said Thursday it expects the company to introduce a networked television in the next two years

Geez, that's really putting his neck out on the line. Two years is an eternity in the tech world.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    OK, my turn to play analyst

No way will Apple release a TV.

I think they should release a new Apple tv were it's no longer a set top box. Even if Apple doesn't want people to call it that, that's what it is right now, because its functionality is limited.

They should include blu-ray and dvr functionality (though i doubt they will because of itunes) so it's an all in one device for your living room. By september bluray drives will be affordable. Eventually physical media will go away but people need a transitional product, where they can play their old dvds and have the option for blu-ray.

They will probably release an sdk for developers to create widgets and games for AppleTV, but the big question is the controls. They could release a touchscreen controller instead of the one we have now but you kinda need to be able to operate it without looking at it, which could be a problem.

Iphone integration will be nice but i don't think it will make it a huge success. It needs to be appealing as a stand alone device.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougit View Post

I did, really...

http://dougitdesign.com/blogs/blog_1...-Apple-TV.html

Hey Doug nice to see you here. I've enjoyed a couple of your blog posts in the past.

Hell I'd buy an Apple HDTV if it had that Apple polish touch to it that made my experience that much better.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Geez, that's really putting his neck out on the line. Two years is an eternity in the tech world.

Totally agreed. That aspect is borne of an analyst needing a placeholder and a long enough time horizon to be "right" so long as they do "something" material in the next 24 mos, he's covered.

Anything can happen in the next 12 mos to completely change the equation.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    All of you calling BS on this I believe are wrong.

If Apple had not just signed a 5 year contract with LG, I would not believe this story. In the past that was the thing that always stopped me from thinking Apple would go into the TV market. Cell phones are one thing, but making TV's? Now with LG on board they gain instant access to the hardware.

It makes perfect sense for their digital hub road map into the living room. I know it is the thing that I always wish for when I turn the TV on. Apple TV just doesn't go far enough. We can all imagine how perfectly they will do it and we will all be saying, "Of course. This is how TV was meant to be."

As for the networks and tv manufacturers, they will fight it and in the end look like idiots.
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

Two things to keep in mind:

1.Apple makes money when you rent a movie or buy something on iTunes. It makes nothing when you record your cable broadcasts. It also makes nothing when you buy or rent DVDs.

2. AppleTV is the only product that Apple sells for less than it costs to make. It relies on revenue from iTunes rentals to make up for this loss.

Given those two facts, why would Apple want to augment this device to draw people AWAY from iTunes content? And why would it want to be forced into negotiations with Cable companies, considering how much flak it already gets from its dealings with AT&T?

Just because you want it to happen doesn't make it a good business move for Apple.

If you really want a DVR, use Elgato's EyeTV. It exports everything I record directly to the AppleTV. Works perfectly.

I agree about the cable companies thing, but they should include a dvd/bluray drive in it as a trojan horse, so people can try itunes, because it is a superior and more convenient way to get access to new content. That is what is stopping it now from being a huge success.

It is an insurance policy much like Windows on the mac. I want to know that it is the only device i need for my flat screen tv. Right now most people might be interested in over the air downloading, but they don't see the value in the current product. I want a complete solution.
  • Reply 40 of 86
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    All this discussion.... yet the word "tuner" appears only once in this thread? Same for "Tru2way"

Seems like any discussion of making the appleTV a DVR would have to revolve around these words...