Microsoft plays catch up to MobileMe with My Phone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

I guess this guy hasn't heard. Microsoft has more than 80% of the computer market, microsoft has more than 50% of the business market for mobile phones, and they just reached 500 million subscribers to their new windows live features in January. Microsoft will surpass MobileMe very quickly. The question is whether or not it will actually be better or not. Business can hope it's not as buggy as MobileMe.

I see your point. What I don't see, is with market penetration like that, they can't get their own hotmail to work with the new setup.

Imagine how complicated that is going to be for people who have hotmail and then decide I"I quite like the sound of that My Phone service. How do I get my email to work on that.... I wish Apple had thought about that first. After all, isn't that who invented the MyPhone???"

And that dear readers is (at least) one law suit waiting to happen.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Gotcha - I do that

True - and they are notorious for making their own minds up, petulant losers, as they are . There is an interesting 1985 interview with SJ that you might enjoy if you haven't already read it. http://www.playboy.com/magazine/inte...even-jobs.html .

You mean there actually are articles in that mag!?!
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shookster View Post

Backing up your phone data to the cloud is a pretty good idea. It'd have to be secure though..

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I don't want everything to do with my digital life living in the "cloud". Just don't trust the people running things these days.

Kinda like having no liquid assets, if all crashes & burns you are without a prayer.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

I'm surprised they didn't spell it m'iPhone. Then again, they should have called Windows sMacintosh.

Windows MyOSX will be the retail name of Windows 7, surely!
  • Reply 25 of 35
    It baffles me how a company can take something that is really so simple and make it so difficult. It could only be MyCrowSoft. When I want to download apps or backup my WM6 PocketPC, I have to use MyPhone - what? The name makes no sense. Then there is the whole MyPhone, SkyLine, SkyMarket, SkyBox, SkyDrive, MobileKeeper, LiveMesh mumbo jumbo with their overlapping features that is sure to really make customers happy. And only allowing 200MB of data backup? Carrier data charges? No ability to backup to your pc? Bombarded with Ads? Data sync only overnight? Yeah - I'm rushing right out to signup for it.

No Thanks. I'll stick with my iPhone and get full backups via USB and iTunes and oh by the way, it syncs all my business mail, contacts and calendar to my work PC via MS ActiveSync. Apple has it pretty close to being right. Not perfect yet but close. Microsoft on the other hand continues to demonstrate over and over again that they really are the bumbling band of buffoons orchestrated by Monkey Boy to alienate customers. Keep it up!!

JoeCoolDaddio
  • Reply 26 of 35
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    it?s inevitable that everyone will compare MyPhone with MobileMe as Dan (Prince) does here. but that misses a bigger picture.

bear in mind, as Dan has described many times, that WinMobile is a different OS than Windows, dating back to its beginnings in the 1990?s as Win CE.

Thus what MS has to do now to compete with the iPhone and Android is develop a suite of extensions for WinMobile that matches their functions. so we will have MyPhone, separate from the ?sky? or ?live? programs that are part of Windows proper. we will also have the Zune store, similarly separate from Windows. and an app store too. presumably these will all be part of the WinMobile 6.5 package coming out later this year, just so MS can seem to keep up with its smartphone competition for now.

but MobileMe of course is much more. it unites the iPhone/Touch - both running a version of OS X - directly with Mac computer desktop synch services. Just as iTunes and its Store unifies all media handling among everything. Apple is far ahead here. but i?ll bet very few of the hundreds of web posts we will read next week about WinMobile will connect these dots.

so MS is continuing its legacy of two different OS? ecosystems, one desktop, one mobile. the consumer gets a confusing setup as a result, with limited capabilities.

MS apparently hopes to functionally finally unify WinMobile and Windows sevices (not the OS?s) in 2010 via Windows 7 and WinMobile 7, at least via ?cloud? services if not software. we?ll see.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    ... still a better name than MobileMe.

I've used the service for years, but what was Apple thinking when they came up with that one?
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NorrinRaddJr View Post

... still a better name than MobileMe.

I've used the service for years, but what was Apple thinking when they came up with that one?

Simple. It's no longer about the computer. (They still failed to get PUSH to work).

Apple drops "computer" from their name, then gets rid of .MAC and while everyone mocks MSFT, Apple moves forward and creates Mobile Me with an icon that looks like it came from MSFT. Silly.

A .mac email was much hipper than .me.com. At least now, you can tell who's a recent switcher or new to .mac, err, .me.com.

For those anti-cloud, you had better wake up, the next revolution in mobile computing, fast startup, programs, will all be in the cloud, e.g., MS Word, (note, see iWork beta cloud) and using it on any computer whether it's installed or not, from any computer. The secret will be the program running in the cloud in conjunction with the end users browser.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeCoolDaddio View Post

It baffles me how a company can take something that is really so simple and make it so difficult. It could only be MyCrowSoft. When I want to download apps or backup my WM6 PocketPC, I have to use MyPhone - what? The name makes no sense. Then there is the whole MyPhone, SkyLine, SkyMarket, SkyBox, SkyDrive, MobileKeeper, LiveMesh mumbo jumbo with their overlapping features that is sure to really make customers happy. And only allowing 200MB of data backup? Carrier data charges? No ability to backup to your pc? Bombarded with Ads? Data sync only overnight? Yeah - I'm rushing right out to signup for it.

No Thanks. I'll stick with my iPhone and get full backups via USB and iTunes and oh by the way, it syncs all my business mail, contacts and calendar to my work PC via MS ActiveSync. Apple has it pretty close to being right. Not perfect yet but close. Microsoft on the other hand continues to demonstrate over and over again that they really are the bumbling band of buffoons orchestrated by Monkey Boy to alienate customers. Keep it up!!

JoeCoolDaddio

How can you in the same breath say that you use MS ActiveSync with your iPhone and not imagine that the same backup ability would already be available on all Windows Mobile phones, even WITHOUT the MyPhone software?

And I'm sure you're aware that the ads situation will only happen in the free version, which i'm sure many persons will appreciate. I think you were far too quick to bash Microsoft with that post.

Also, I think the whole idea of calling the service 'MyPhone' was because it backed up the contents of the user's phone, down to sms messages etc, hence, it would virtually be like 'your phone' on the cloud.

-marik
  • Reply 30 of 35
    I am surprised at this half-baked? idea from Microsoft. They own the corporate messaging market with Exchange including its ability to push to mobile devices. They certainly don't lack the capability to push the envelope higher. Instead they appear to be trying to pull it down.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm a Mobile me subscriber, but I hate the price. It's a rip-off! Whatever way you try to slice it. €29 per year would be more fair, even if "still" a little too pricey. If Apple had real sense they'd make the damn thing free, and use it as a sales tool to move Macs and reward their "LOYAL" consumers.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    I sort of remember this company called Microsoft. Weren't they big in the 1980s and 1990s?
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Next they will have a suit of apps called My Life and M$ Works will be renamed My Work not to mention a music app called My Tunes. Apple should have seen this coming.

Bear in mind that M$ have been prefixing "My" for yonks... My Computer, My Documents etc...
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Next they will have a suit of apps called My Life and M$ Works will be renamed My Work not to mention a music app called My Tunes. Apple should have seen this coming.

Ya know Apple didn't invent the name "Phone" its been around quite a lot longer than Apple. As this service is for a Phone, why not My Phone? MS calls everything My something since Windows 95, My Computer, My Documents, My Pictures etc

Quote:

Backing up your phone data to the cloud is a pretty good idea. It'd have to be secure though..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

That is...unless you have a lot of data to backup....

Don't worry most people have WiFi so its not going to take that long.

Plus the article seems to suggest that Apples better because we have iTunes to do all this syncing, but personally I'd prefer the MS option of having it on the web, or even better both. What has my computers media player (iTunes) got to do with my contacts and emails? Its just a legacy thing that means this is where the iPhone syncs to. If it was all web based then I'd be able to access it anyway which to me is great.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Ya know Apple didn't invent the name "Phone" its been around quite a lot longer than Apple. As this service is for a Phone, why not My Phone? MS calls everything My something since Windows 95, My Computer, My Documents, My Pictures etc

While not very plausible, if there were brand confusion because of MS' My Phone and Apple sued, I don't think the Windows-based examples you list would be viable as, I believe, they are not registered trademarks or copyrighted. But like I stated, it's not likely one could confuse iPhone with My Phone.

Quote:

Don't worry most people have WiFi so its not going to take that long.

Yes, it could take a very long time to sync over WiFi. You can't assume everyone is on 802.11n and that they are the only device using the network. You also can't assume theoretical throughputs when crunching the numbers.

Quote:

Plus the article seems to suggest that Apples better because we have iTunes to do all this syncing, but personally I'd prefer the MS option of having it on the web, or even better both. What has my computers media player (iTunes) got to do with my contacts and emails? Its just a legacy thing that means this is where the iPhone syncs to. If it was all web based then I'd be able to access it anyway which to me is great.

My emails, contacts and calendars are on my iPhone, on my Mac in their respective applications, on my new WinXP netbook via the MM control panel, in the cloud on MobileMe, and in Gmail via the control in my Mac's AddressBook. Oh, and it's also backed up via TimeMachine. All that can happen without iTunes being used, though you'll need a $69 MM account, Exchange server access, Gmail or Yahoo.

As for Apple's solution being bad for the consumer it is because of iTunes being the central controller for the iPod that help guarantee its success. The "legacy thing" was having you drag and drop items without any centralized control and fine tuning. How many PMPs allowed you to store contacts and calendars before the iPod offered it? How many cellphones with non-business Exchange servers running on the backend allow for automatic over-the-air syncing of contacts and calendars?