Apple to showcase top iPhone apps, games at retail stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As part of a software-oriented reorganization of its worldwide retail chain, Apple plans to start highlighting some of the App Store's most popular offerings by equipping demo units with the shop's most downloaded games and applications on a regular basis.

The broader strategy, which is already in progress at a handful of locations, will attempt to lure even more Windows users to the Mac platform through three new software-centric stations, namely "Why you'll love the Mac," "iLife," and "iWork."

However, a similar move is underway over at the iPhone and iPod touch sections. There, Apple plans to showcase the most influential third-party applications from the App Store, which is rapidly approaching 20,000 readily available offerings.

Specifically, those familiar with the new format say iPod touch demo units will be loaded with the top 25 family-oriented games and the top 25 children's games. The titles will be update on a monthly basis to conform with changes to the App Store's top 25 lists.

Meanwhile, iPhone demo units will be fed with the some of the store's most popular non-game applications. As of right now, it appears Apple will pre-load the handsets with the top 25 Travel applications and the top 25 Lifestyle applications. These too will be refreshed on a monthly basis.

The moves are the latest from the Cupertino-based company to help drives sales of its multi-touch handhelds by leveraging the high-quality iPhone applications authored by its third party developers. Earlier and ongoing efforts include television commercials that spotlight some of the App Store's top offerings and giant banners at last month's Macworld Expo that were peppered with third party app icons.

A sprawling banner at January's Macworld Expo highlighting the booming App Store marketplace.

As part of the Apple's latest Mac retail strategy, which was detailed earlier in the day, systems running iLife and iWork will also see several appropriately named folder additions to the Mac OS X dock containing demonstration documents for topics such as Movies, Photography and Finances.

The retail overhaul is expected to be completed in coming weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I just stopped into the Corte Madera Ca store to get a Belkin skin for my new touch, and the changes are already in place... the new wedgie feature/price plaques and app-centric wall banners.

Seems like the message is going to be, 'get 95% of the software you'll ever need for your Mac right out of the box', or for a reasonable $79 extra (e.g. iWork), and for your touch/iPhone, dig this!".
  • Reply 2 of 10
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Wow- demonstrations of Grenade and Level!!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    I for one still dont consider anything on the app store is worthwhile....

As a pro-gamer (Xbox 360/PS3) I would like to see some high end games be offered.

I know the potential is there.....farting, levels, vibrating, flashlites, lighters, pong games...enough already. Its getting embarassing.

Lets step up to some killer titles, really take this to another level....

Who is with me.

And for those who say Well Why Dont I Make Something...well I am working on one app.

Its called the 3MTA3.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Speaking of software, I was at an Apple store last week (NYC West 14th Street) and I was astounded by the lack of boxed software that Apple had!

Not only did that not carry much software but it was all in no particular order.

I really don't understand -- the message, here, apparently, is "don't get a mac, there is no software for it."

I mean, come on. I do audio work -- they could have carried at least 50 audio titles, no sweat. Of course they had Logic (and a couple of crummy garageband loop libraries) but that really sucks. What about Digital Performer, Reason, Recycle, Waves, T-Racks, NI, etc...

On top of that, software is all very high-margin. Isn't this a market Apple wants to play in? Or do they want customers to go elsewhere to get software?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madeincupertino View Post

Speaking of software, I was at an Apple store last week (NYC West 14th Street) and I was astounded by the lack of boxed software that Apple had!

Not only did that not carry much software but it was all in no particular order.

I really don't understand -- the message, here, apparently, is "don't get a mac, there is no software for it."

I mean, come on. I do audio work -- they could have carried at least 50 audio titles, no sweat. Of course they had Logic (and a couple of crummy garageband loop libraries) but that really sucks. What about Digital Performer, Reason, Recycle, Waves, T-Racks, NI, etc...

On top of that, software is all very high-margin. Isn't this a market Apple wants to play in? Or do they want customers to go elsewhere to get software?

Apple was about Hardware and third party software was left for stores like BestBuy, Staples etc. I don't think Apple wants to invest in third party apps like they did with iPhone, although that would be amazing.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madeincupertino View Post

I don't understand this insistence that you have to have aisles and aisles of boxed SW in your excessive brick-and-mortar stores to somehow prove your machines are in any way useful. This isn't 1995 and CompUSA's (et al.) business models seems to have failed because people aren't buying digital SW in stores anymore*. The internet is faster, easier, and cheaper way to distribute SW.

It also allows the consumer to to pick through a much greater selection than is usually found in stores while at teh same time letting them test run the SW before committing. If you tell an Apple Store employee that you are thinking of switching, but didn't know if the SW-type you want is available Macs a funny thing will happen. They will ask what you it is, tell you some options and/or look up on one of their openly networked machines what possibilities you have**.

* Read: At a considerably lower rate.

** They will also tell you about BootCamp and possibily some emulation apps that will allow you to use your current Windows apps with any Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

I for one still dont consider anything on the app store is worthwhile....

As a pro-gamer (Xbox 360/PS3) I would like to see some high end games be offered.

I know the potential is there.....farting, levels, vibrating, flashlites, lighters, pong games...enough already. Its getting embarassing.

Lets step up to some killer titles, really take this to another level....

Who is with me.

And for those who say Well Why Dont I Make Something...well I am working on one app.

Its called the 3MTA3.

Come up with something original instead of stealing a joke from the Beastie Boys' Licensed to Ill CD. High end games? It is a phone, not an XBox/PS3. The millions of games already downloaded prove you wrong. There are some great games for the iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    deleted
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Come up with something original instead of stealing a joke from the Beastie Boys' Licensed to Ill CD. High end games? It is a phone, not an XBox/PS3. The millions of games already downloaded prove you wrong. There are some great games for the iPhone.

I dont agree....the apps in general suck azz.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

I dont agree....the apps in general suck azz.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Agreed. I guess apple should be flattered that you think their game apps should be compared to xbox games.