New photos may show rear of next-gen iPhone casing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    I get the nagging feeling that this is one of those leaks which we'll swear up and down is "fake," one we'll nitpick the details of for hours, and yet which will ultimately be accurate.

Remember, that initial black iPhone on a keyboard was decried as fake, but it was one of the first real iPhone 3G shots. This could be one of those too-early-to-tell images.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I am not shocked. I don't think we will see any major case redesign like we did with the 3G iPhone. I think the most we will probably see is the finish of the case. The focus will be on the internals. Hardware wise, they need at least faster processor, longer battery life, improved graphics, and better camera with HD video recording. Software wise, the possibilities are limitless but let's hope for background applications/multitasking and cut and paste. However, I really doubt that Apple will give us all of this at once.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

The current plastic back looks more like composite on the inside, possibly injection moulded, but not milled IMO.

This image from iFixit shows the inside of the current 3g and it has the same milling marks.

• Reply 24 of 56
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    What use is a photo of the back
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

You know, I hadn't thought about that at all, but is it so crazy? Couldn't it be like a wireless toothbrush - you just set it into a dock to charge/sync? Obviously, if Apple wants to call this an upgrade, their best case scenario (though, of course, not at all their only one) is to make this phone a demonstrable step forward from the old one. I could definitely see them doing something like this to make it completely different from all of the other cellphones on the market (that I know of, at least) both because it's new and flashy - that's got Apple written all over it.

One of the main issues that I can see shooting a hole in this idea is that they'd be forced to go back to bundling a docking station with every phone sold - something I sincerely doubt they're interested in doing. Also, it would mean a larger accessory to carry around with your phone (not just a cord and transformer, but a dock as well) to the office, while on vacation, etc.

I'm just speculating. I'm not married to this idea or even positing it as a likely option. Just thinking aloud.

I wouldn't exactly call wireless charging new and flashy and having Apple written all over it.

The Palm Pre is going to be shipped with a wireless charger.

"The Palm Touchstone is a wireless charger for the Palm Pre. Just place the smartphone atop the accessory and it will juice up your device without any meddling wires."

http://ces.cnet.com/4326-19506_1-100...tag=mncol;page
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

I wouldn't exactly call wireless charging new and flashy and having Apple written all over it.

The Palm Pre is going to be shipped with a wireless charger.

Ah, my bad. I realize wireless charging isn't exactly new, I just didn't think it had yet been applied to cellphones. Screwed by Palm, once again...
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bombadier337 View Post

This image from iFixit shows the inside of the current 3g and it has the same milling marks.

Well I didn't say I was sure or anything I was just trying to answer someone's question.

In any case that picture clearly shows that it is *not* milled.

It looks like it's an injection moulding.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

What's also suspicious about that image is how "o" and "e" are cut off on the bottom in "iPhone".

I also wonder what the "0682" means, at least it's the same on the 3G.

There seems to be something wrong with all of the lowercase "i"s too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by >_> View Post

*ahem*

So where will the Serial Number go?

Shouldn't there also be an IMEI number?
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

Ah, my bad. I realize wireless charging isn't exactly new, I just didn't think it had yet been applied to cellphones. Screwed by Palm, once again...

Apple came out with a patent for wireless charging of mobiles long before Palm announced the pre, so they could still do it if they want. I could be wrong but I think it's waay too soon for the iPhone to drop all it's ports though. Look at all the whining over the single missing firewire port on the 13" MacBook.

If they use something like the new Samsung wireless USB chip (which probably isn't even in production yet anyway), and if they use inductive charging, and if they use the speaker system on the latest generation iPod (which doesn't require an opening), they could do an iPhone with no ports on the bottom, but it seems like a bit of a long shot to me.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Woowoo! Now that's a nice rear!
  • Reply 31 of 56
    opps, my bad
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Y'all desperate for legitimate news from the mother ship, so have lapsed into the exercise some of us call mental masturbation

Heavens to death, folks; who cares?

Beam me up, Scotty
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Apple came out with a patent for wireless charging of mobiles long before Palm announced the pre, so they could still do it if they want. I could be wrong but I think it's waay too soon for the iPhone to drop all it's ports though. Look at all the whining over the single missing firewire port on the 13" MacBook.

If they use something like the new Samsung wireless USB chip (which probably isn't even in production yet anyway), and if they use inductive charging, and if they use the speaker system on the latest generation iPod (which doesn't require an opening), they could do an iPhone with no ports on the bottom, but it seems like a bit of a long shot to me.

The could still do it but they'd be chasing the puck.

Let's hope they don't put the same audio jack that's in the New MacBooks.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    I believe it to be a fake. Why? Apple is the most detail obsessive company on planet Earth. They're not going to have the "by" in "Designed by Apple" in lower-case and then have "In California" with a capitalized "In". The same thing with "In China". There's no way. Look at your current iPhones, or any other Apple product for that fact, I'm willing to bet that you're not going to see "in" capitalized. It's not proper.

That's more than enough to convince me that this is, indeed, a fake.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UbiquitousGeek View Post

I believe it to be a fake. Why? Apple is the most detail obsessive company on planet Earth. They're not going to have the "by" in "Designed by Apple" in lower-case and then have "In California" with a capitalized "In". The same thing with "In China". There's no way. Look at your current iPhones, or any other Apple product for that fact, I'm willing to bet that you're not going to see "in" capitalized. It's not proper.

That's more than enough to convince me that this is, indeed, a fake.

It took the improper use of punctuation to realize this photo is fake.

Gosh... you are the smart one.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Quote:

Ah, yes, UbiquitousGeek is clealy smart (and observant).....

Yet... if Apple is the detail-obsessive company that he suggests it is, and its goal is to mislead people into thinking this design is bogus because people will assume that a detail-obsessive company will not make such basic punctuation errors, wouldn't it make sense for it to.....

OK, I give up.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Not so fast. It looks to me like they are indeed lowercase but the photo is blurry/bright making the dot on the i hard to see.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Not so fast. It looks to me like they are indeed lowercase but the photo is blurry/bright making the dot on the i hard to see.

Zooming way in, I can't say that I agree. The other lower-case ones are easy enough to see. Also, when you take into consideration that the bottom of "iPhone" does appear to be "cut off", it makes it that much more obvious. I've seen a lot of Chinese fakes first hand, and this looks like another one to me. These Chinese rip-off artists make a lot of cash fooling ignorant cheap-asses into buying fake Apple products on the internet. I wonder what percentage of Apple's help desk calls are from people who buy this crap.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    What about Carbon Fiber??

Wasn't it recently reported that Apple was looking into carbon fiber moldings for MacBook Air casing. What if apple is using it on the iPhone as well. This definately looks like carbon fiber.

I think this is real. There i said it.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

There seems to be something wrong with all of the lowercase "i"s too.

Shouldn't there also be an IMEI number?

The IMEI on current iPhone's is on the SIM tray.