Microsoft to open new retail stores like Apple

Comments

• Reply 81 of 130
    Know what I love best? The gray shopping cart. The place looks like a cleaned up Wal Mart.
  • Reply 82 of 130
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Know what I love best? The gray shopping cart. The place looks like a cleaned up Wal Mart.

But ... there will be several carts to select from depending on the version of Windows you bought, each will require you to prove what version you are qualified to push using your serial number. If you use the wrong cart it will stop working half way across the store...
  • Reply 83 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Clap for yourself, you can soon begin going to your Microsoft store.

He'll have to wait behind me. I am really looking forward to going to ask why my Windows 7 can't print to my networked printer until I instal Bonjour from Apple then it works fine
  • Reply 84 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ballmer's New Logo Idea for up coming Vista 3

http://digitalclips.com/M$.jpg

Hey Digitalclips.... I think you're totally wrong on that guess....

Didn't you hear? MS's new logo is going to be a

BANANA....LOL

with a bite off the top.....

Z
  • Reply 85 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Who on earth comes up with these stupid ideas?

Who on this earth is going to have fun in a Microsoft shop? Seriously?

They've got a few good (err... successful) products: Windows, Office, Xbox 360, Keyboard & Mouse. And every single one of those products is available at the nearest retailer or at some kind of discount online. And people don't really get very excited about any of these products?they buy them if they want them and move on with their life.

If they're going to jump on some kind of Apple bandwagon they should at least make sure they can benefit in the same way Apple does...

"Ready to go to the Microsoft store, Jimmy?!"

"... I hate you, dad... I HATE you!"

I totally agree with you. I don't see this as being anything "Special" like the Apple Store. When I mention to my two kids that we are going to the Mall in Bellevue, WA they get excited knowing that I'm going to the Apple store. Running around like chickens with their heads off, getting ready so we can leave in a hurry.

I just don't think that they M$ store will generate that kind of enthusiasm.

LanPhantom
  • Reply 86 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MH01 View Post

Its interesting reading all the comments and how everyone is so negative to the idea. Though for some of us that actually use both a PC and Mac might be a good idea. I am not going to ridicule it till they announce what products they are going to sell.

Keep laughing but it might actually be a success.

For one if they had an equivalent of the Genius bar, that would do wonders for them, cause these shops would be a central point for users to come with questions about windows os. It basically gives Microsoft a way to interact with their clients at a retail level.

Also who knows what products they might have up thier sleeve for these stores.

Now that Apple has become popular i find them acting more like Microsoft and Microsoft acting like the old apple. Apples behavior around the Iphone is pure old Microsoft. For some of us who are old school Apple users, today's apple is not the same, they got a taste of Big corporate $$$ and things are changing...

What are you SMOKING MH01?

You sound like a liberal saying..... "Sources say"....w/o ever saying what they said just insinuating someone backs up your IDIOT STATEMENTs...ie... you are FULL OF CRAP.

1) Yes Apple is getting bigger.... and they've earned it

2) They don't act like Microcrap because their products ARE GOOD, WELL ENGINEERED, and I don't have to constantly dick with them like I would if I were foolish enough to use a PC on a regular basis and thank god I don't have to.

You make me want to Gag..... GO FIX your PC now !

Z
  • Reply 87 of 130
    Lately, I've been going back and forth whether to hate Microsoft or not because its healthy for Apple to have competition.....it keeps them in check.

But then Microsoft goes ahead and does something stupid again and annoys the heck out of me.

This is not even stupid its just sad......just....sad.
  • Reply 88 of 130
    Quote:

Goldstein claimed Apple's retail strategy wasn't going to work because consumers "haven't indicated that they're having trouble finding outlets that sell Macs," adding, "It's another case of Apple being Jobs driven and not consumer driven."

I trust this man is unemployed by now?

Those store images could be any high street chain like PC World, Curry's, Comet or even Tandy. Microsoft don't really have a strong brand image so it's going to be tough going to differentiate themselves from similar high street shops.
  • Reply 89 of 130
    This is indeed quite hilarious.

I sincerely hope they spend many billions in an effort to make this work.

--mAc
  • Reply 90 of 130
    After launching this me-too store, Microsoft will, like Apple, change its name.

From now one it will be called MicroShopt.
  • Reply 91 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

Hey Digitalclips.... I think you're totally wrong on that guess....

Didn't you hear? MS's new logo is going to be a

BANANA....LOL

with a bite off the top.....

Z

While the Monkey Dance would indicate a banana, it simply isn't close enough to anything truly Apple to satisfy Ballmer. Then again ... Maybe a multi colored, horizontally striped Banana ... he probably doesn't know Apple updated their logo a while back yet.
  • Reply 92 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post

After launching this me-too store, Microsoft will, like Apple, change its name.

From now one it will be called MicroShopt.

How about 'The CP/M Store or better yet the aptly named QDOS Store!'
  • Reply 93 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I also think they will stay well away from PC support. They know that the hardware landscape makes it really hard to support anything that is hardware-specific. And even microsoft must be aware of what a mess it is maintaining Windows. If they had a Windows Genius, like the IT folk in every enterprise I visit, they would be stumped half the time and that would just underline that fact that PCs are harder to own than Macs etc.

While you may be right that it would be logistically very difficult for them to do service at those locations, people would expect it. They would almost be forced to do it because the idea of walking into a Microsoft store and not being able to get any advice or service on your computer is completely ridiculous. Whether or not they want to deal with servicing computers there, people will bring their computers into those stores.
  • Reply 94 of 130
    Quote:

How about 'The CP/M Store or better yet the aptly named QDOS Store!'

M$ is pathetic. It is a company without any bain. Zero, niet, nada, nothing. They cannot even go to the bathroom without watching someone first to see how it is done. Amazing.

They are now preparing the ZunePhone (another failed project), not to mention other wanna be projects like "My Phone" (mobile me clone), Zune Marketplace (wanna be iTunes project)...
  • Reply 95 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

While you may be right that it would be logistically very difficult for them to do service at those locations, people would expect it. They would almost be forced to do it because the idea of walking into a Microsoft store and not being able to get any advice or service on your computer is completely ridiculous. Whether or not they want to deal with servicing computers there, people will bring their computers into those stores.

The irony is the business model for M$ these many years has been to create a confusing OS that is illogical and requires dedicated (dare I say M$ certified) techies to keep up (and strongly promote more PC sales as it feeds them) thus creating their own world, modelled on the MIT departments of 1970's main frame departments. End users being able to do stuff is totally against M$'s MO. Now it is biting them in the ass as people are sick and tired of paying some geek $300 to do even the most basic of things simply because they cannot figure out how to do it. The fact is most consumer sales of PCs are because buying a new computer every few years is cheaper than 'fixing' the current one. Whereas most ancient Macs are still chugging along and the secret is getting out. An M$ store isn't going to help one little bit. People want computers with an OS that work and they can deal with. Apple have that M$ simply don't.

Woot! Just noticed my 1000th post!
  • Reply 96 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

You sound like a liberal saying..... "Sources say"....w/o ever saying what they said just insinuating someone backs up your IDIOT STATEMENTs...ie... you are FULL OF CRAP.

And you sound like (insert something completely irrelevant here that insults an entire group of people unnecessarily rather than just Zaphodsplanet), so you're even.

Yes, this is a lame, unoriginal move, and considering Best Buys are practically Microsoft stores already, I'm not really sure what advantage they think they're getting. But who gives a shit? It's not going to hurt Apple. And if it does well, then fuck. We'll have a new place to buy some cables and hard drives (which we can reformat for our Macs) and whatever.
  • Reply 97 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

And you sound like an asshole, so you're even.

Yes, this is a lame, unoriginal move, and considering Best Buys are practically Microsoft stores already, I'm not really sure what advantage they think they're getting. But who gives a shit? It's not going to hurt Apple. And if it does well, then fuck. We'll have a new place to buy some cables and hard drives (which we can reformat for our Macs) and whatever.

I agree (except for the insult which is not necessary), bring them on, I want to go and talk to them when I'm bored. Remember to check the GUID Partition table when using those originally PC formatted drives on a modern Mac.
  • Reply 98 of 130
    Only Microsoft would expect you to shop their aisles with a Safeway shopping cart!
  • Reply 99 of 130
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I agree (except for the insult which is not necessary), bring them on, I want to go and talk to them when I'm bored. Remember to check the GUID Partition table when using those originally PC formatted drives on a modern Mac.

While crass the asshole comment is technically allowed on this forum since he merely states that he sounded like on, while not actually calling him one.

PS: Welcome to Thousand's Club. The Academy Awards has the Oscar, I think you get a coveted bronze Melgross at 1000 posts.
  • Reply 100 of 130
    Quote:

He'll have to wait behind me. I am really looking forward to going to ask why my Windows 7 can't print to my networked printer until I instal Bonjour from Apple then it works fine

Is the printer attached to a Mac? If so, same problem my friend has. 3 Vista PCs all share and use the printer fine when it's connected to one of them. Connect printer to the Mac and try sharing it, and it won't play ball at all. Six months later and still no resolution. Seems the Mac just doesn't want to play nice. If the printer is attached to a Mac, try connecting it to a Windows PC instead, and share it that way.